Next Gen Series 2012/2013

mikeyp102

I went last night and also to the Lisbon game. I don't have high hopes for us in the Next Gen this year unfortunately. To me, the only standout performances were from Drennan and Carruthers who look promising. Everyone else was quite average on the night. Grealish was unusually quiet imo and seems determined to try and beat everyone on the pitch rather than find the simple pass. It's also quite obvious that more work needs to be done on the passing, the hollywood ball is tried far too often and simple passes are often misplaced.

We were lucky to escape with the 3 points after the 2nd half pressure from Celtic last night.

Hope we can go far in this.. Got high hopes.

I think we lost our first two games against Sporting and PSV by the odd goal. We have a very tough group this year, and some of our key players from last year aren't playing as often this year, so I think we are going to be up against it to qualify from the group. We're currently 3rd after three games, with the teams above having games in hand.

For the record, here are the results to date, and fixtures for Group 4 of the NextGen.

15 August

Aston Villa 1 Sporting Lisbon 3

Goalscorer: Michael Drennan

Team: Barrett; Bateman, Devine, Derrick Williams, Calder (Lewis 75, Watkins-Clark 90); Barton (Eminoglu 75), Ward (Crowley 82), Melvin, Graham; Grealish, Drennan.

Substitutes not used: Watkins, Strain, O'Brien.

29 August

PSV Eindhoven 1 Aston Villa 0

Team: Watkins; Barton, Bateman, Devine, Cameron; Graham, Ward, Melvin, Carruthers; Grealish, Drennan.

Substitutes: Hill, Watkins-Clark, Eminoglu, Calder, Strain, Sellars, O'Brien.

19 September

Aston Villa 2 Celtic 1

Goalscorers: Samir Carruthers, Malcolm Melvin

Team: Hill; Bateman, Devine, Watkins-Clark, Derrick Williams; Grealish (Ward 71), Carruthers, Melvin, Graham; Robinson (Barton 38), Drennan.

Substitutes not used: Watkins, Lewis, Calder, Wildin, Crowley.

Fixtures

24 October – Celtic away

7 November – PSV Eindhoven home

28 November – Sporting Lisbon away

For the record, here are the results to date, and fixtures for Group 4 of the NextGen.

15 August

Aston Villa 1 Sporting Lisbon 3

Goalscorer: Michael Drennan

Team: Barrett; Bateman, Devine, Derrick Williams, Calder (Lewis 75, Watkins-Clark 90); Barton (Eminoglu 75), Ward (Crowley 82), Melvin, Graham; Grealish, Drennan.

Substitutes not used: Watkins, Strain, O'Brien.

29 August

PSV Eindhoven 1 Aston Villa 0

Team: Watkins; Barton, Bateman, Devine, Cameron; Graham, Ward, Melvin, Carruthers; Grealish, Drennan.

Substitutes: Hill, Watkins-Clark, Eminoglu, Calder, Strain, Sellars, O'Brien.

19 September

Aston Villa 2 Celtic 1

Goalscorers: Samir Carruthers, Malcolm Melvin

Team: Hill; Bateman, Devine, Watkins-Clark, Derrick Williams; Grealish (Ward 71), Carruthers, Melvin, Graham; Robinson (Barton 38), Drennan.

Substitutes not used: Watkins, Lewis, Calder, Wildin, Crowley.

Fixtures

24 October – Celtic away

7 November – PSV Eindhoven home

28 November – Sporting Lisbon away

I think we could beat Celtic again, beat PSV and hopefully get at least a draw against Sporting. Hopefully that'd be enough. Maybe even two draws and one win.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't know much about this, but if it is one leg then Ajax are listed first on the NexGen website (Ajax v Aston Villa).  If this is the case, does anyone know when the fixture might be?  I'm off to Amsterdam for a few days in a couple of weeks and, although still a long shot, it would be great if I could go and watch Villa's youngsters play while out there.

Amazing city, loved it when I went a couple of years ago.. 

Yup, it'll actually be my sixth visit - usually go for a few days at the start of summer every year.  Off earlier this year as we're going to watch Biffy Clyro while we're over there.

• 2 weeks later...
Â