Next Gen Series 2012/2013

mikeyp102

And for those whinging about people 'supposedly' moaning: Nobody was moaning. They just took the debate a little bit further than just 'Well done lads'. Probably because (certainly in my case), they had already posted 'well done lads'! - Be a pretty boring thread if it was just pages upon pages of people congratulating the team (as much as the thread certainly has a space for that).

Also, if your only coming to congratulate the team - then fair dos. Just do it. If that is your only motivation, I fail to see why any alternative posts are relevant.  

Why are people even looking at other posts if all that they think the thread needs to be about is congratulating the team? Were people going to start quoting other congratulations posts?

Also I am sure the confidence of all the lads is soaring, and I don't know if this happens but if one of them was to check this thread. What does it say when rather then reading posts about their great performance, they see posts about how they might not end up being good enough, because Villa youngsters never are.. (apparently...)

Well, if they were to come on and read a post saying they might not be good enough Id hope at the very least, it would be something they are very aware of anyway, given the brutal competitive nature of professional football.

Also, if something so trivial was to effect the confidence that much then they certainly won't end up being good enough.

And for those whinging about people 'supposedly' moaning: Nobody was moaning. They just took the debate a little bit further than just 'Well done lads'. Probably because (certainly in my case), they had already posted 'well done lads'! - Be a pretty boring thread if it was just pages upon pages of people congratulating the team (as much as the thread certainly has a space for that).

Also, if your only coming to congratulate the team - then fair dos. Just do it. If that is your only motivation, I fail to see why any alternative posts are relevant.  

Why are people even looking at other posts if all that they think the thread needs to be about is congratulating the team? Were people going to start quoting other congratulations posts?

This is a thread specifically about Next Gen which we have just won, so it's not so odd that people should want to say "well done". There are plenty of other threads about our youth players where people can spin their ill-informed opinions about how useless the academy players are, how little they are worth, etc., and generally throw abuse at each other. Why not go to one of those for that discussion?

Also this is an odd idea that "other" people should't look at any posts that aren't about congratulating the team. How would we know what they are about if we didn't read them?  B) 

• Like 1

Also I am sure the confidence of all the lads is soaring, and I don't know if this happens but if one of them was to check this thread. What does it say when rather then reading posts about their great performance, they see posts about how they might not end up being good enough, because Villa youngsters never are.. (apparently...)

Well, if they were to come on and read a post saying they might not be good enough Id hope at the very least, it would be something they are very aware of anyway, given the brutal competitive nature of professional football.

Also, if something so trivial was to effect the confidence that much then they certainly won't end up being good enough.

If I'd had just won a massive tournament and straight after people said to me 'yeah yeah well done but it doesn't mean anything. You might not make it', it would crush me now. Never if I was 16/17/18

Nonsense argument

Another positive that has turned into pointless arguing, it is depressing.

YES things are not great this season, they have been going off the boil for a while and it's frustrating, but this is something we should be proud about, not bickering about.

**** Lerner, MON, GH, AM and the rest for now, celebrate the success of our under 19's and the fact it gives us something to smile about.

This is a thread specifically about Next Gen which we have just won, so it's not so odd that people should want to say "well done". There are plenty of other threads about our youth players where people can spin their ill-informed opinions about how useless the academy players are, how little they are worth, etc., and generally throw abuse at each other. Why not go to one of those for that discussion?

Also this is an odd idea that "other" people should't look at any posts that aren't about congratulating the team. How would we know what they are about if we didn't read them?  B) 

I never said it was odd - In fact I highlighted that I had indeed said it myself.

We werent saying the academy was useless etc - we were actually discussing the implications of winning the next gen series (players who had/hadnt won it etc) - Does that have your approval for the next gen series thread??

Your last point doesn't reflect what I said. You said, that you came here simply to say well done to the lads! If that was the case, why not just do that instead of putting a negative spin on your own posts?

If Chelsea had won, Chelsea fans would have gone nuts saying they had a golden generation and would be unstoppable for the next decade.

They are probably saying right now the best team lost, Villa were a poor side, and if they had taken the game seriously we would have been thrashed.

YES things are not great this season, they have been going off the boil for a while and it's frustrating, but this is something we should be proud about, not bickering about.

**** Lerner, MON, GH, AM and the rest for now, celebrate the success of our under 19's and the fact it gives us something to smile about.

Hear hear.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Its only turned into this because most here are failing to acknowledge that they have in fact made a mistake and nobody was actually being negative.

We have celebrated the under 19s winning! We took the debate to the next level. Wheres the problem??

Its only turned into this because most here are failing to acknowledge that they have in fact made a mistake and nobody was actually being negative.

We have celebrated the under 19s winning! We took the debate to the next level. Wheres the problem??

You've just opened a whole new can of worms here buddy. Isn't blatant trolling a bannable offense?

You've just opened a whole new can of worms here buddy. Isn't blatant trolling a bannable offense?

Well its not, but I have no idea as to the answer to your question. 

Telling a majority of people that they made a mistake, when only 2 of you are beating this dead horse? yeah, that looks like trolling to me. Not surprising coming from you Woodytom, considering your opinions in other threads.

Telling a majority of people that they made a mistake, when only 2 of you are beating this dead horse? yeah, that looks like trolling to me. Not surprising coming from you Woodytom, considering your opinions in other threads.

Think we better stop this here, before we do spoil it for everybody else.

but what it does show is that they can hold their own against the best young players in Europe at this moment.

Which is brilliant if you're passionate about our youth team football results. But in terms of the first team it currently means nothing.

Which I guess is true, but I think we've got people's different perspectives here - I support the club and the youth team are part of the club, I'm happy that they won - in and of itself it's a nice achievement for the club. The first team are part of the club too, a much bigger part but not the whole thing, the balance sheet is part of the club too, and an increasingly important one, I'm happy if we have good figures - for me it's not all about just the eleven players that start a game on a Saturday, they are the now and all the other things are the next and for me the next is perhaps even more important than the now - that we're improving, that there is hope of better, that we have the finances to compete, the infrastructure in place and the right things happening throughout the club is more important to me than whether we beat Liverpool last Saturday - because it makes us more likely to beat them next time around and that's something that matters to me.

Now, logically you can quite easily make the claim that I'm slightly confused and you can make an argument for BJ10 being less confused, that's fair enough, but there isn't anything particularly logical about football or football support and I think that hope is a huge part of it - performance too, but I think hope is just as important. This was a victory for the club and every victory for the club brings hope.

For BJ10, I suspect hope is less important - I suspect winning is much more important, not in the future, but now, in the next game, and the last game and in every game - that's what sport is about. I understand that, and he's right, but I'm not sure I agree.

If all that sounds particularly confused, then maybe that's why a number of people don't 'get' BJ10's viewpoint and BJ10 doesn't 'get' some of the other viewpoints.

Anyway 'Champions of Europe' - stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

• Like 2

It seems to me that he only negative spin that's been found on this story is that there is no cast iron guarantee that the team will go on to produce anything useful at senior level. Well no shit... life has no guarantees, I fail to see the point in mentioning it, it seems awfully glass half empty.

The academy won a tough tournament, they beat their rivals, that's all they can do. The indications are that the system is working, this batch should at least generate enough money to fund the next lot and one or two MIGHT even become first team stars, that sounds good to me.

• Like 1

Fantastic win and it hopefully puts to bed any notion UEFA had of tying NextGen qualification to the CL qualification of the senior side. The spending power of the big boys should have absolutely zero influence on a youth competition. Even one Europe-wide. So well done Villa on the win and well done Villa on potentially doing youth football in Europe a ma-hoo-sive favour :thumb:

Now, I'm going to play devils advocate here.

UEFA are trying to open up a tournament like this to include smaller clubs and make qualification for it exist to some degree on merit.

NextGen are inviting those teams that they deem fit to take part on the basis of wealth, esteem and ability to attract TV viewers.

"The spending power of the big boys should have absolutely zero influence on a youth competition."

FC Cluj were in the Champions league this season - they would stand absolutely no chance of getting into a tournament where the tournament organisor was hand picking teams - UEFA are sticking up for them and teams like them.

The big clubs (or Arsenal at least) have said they want to stick with the NextGen competition because they are worried that; "the standard might drop" and by that I'm assuming they mean they don't want to be in a group with the no-name Champions of Belgium and would rather be in with a mid-table Italian club with a fancy name.

Tying qualification to Champions league qualification is inherently wrong, but let's not kid ourselves that the way in which NextGen is organised has any suggestion of being a meritocracy. 

UEFA are organising a tournament that punishes smaller clubs like ours, no matter how good they are.

The NextGen are organising a tournament that protects big clubs like ours, no matter how we perform.

Somewhere out there is a way to do this properly - I'm sure we can trust footballs organising body and a TV company to find it.

In the meantime, those big clubs will be looking at this and thinking, this works well - why don't we have Liverpool back in the proper Champions league and get rid of FC Cluj - Ford and Barclaycard and Heineken would like that and it'd put a few million on the viewing figures - by the looks of things it doesn't seem that UEFA can do much to stop us.

This is one that's really worth keeping an eye on.

• Like 1

I don't mind that other people have a different opinion. It would be boring if we all believed the same thing.

Carruthers and Grealish, wouldn't sell them for £20 million today.

I'm not sure why Chelsea bother with an academy? Sure they have some great kids but in reality will any ever get a chance with the 1st team there ?

They get farmed out on loan. Lukaku may eventually get a chance. He wasn't really an academy product but the principle is the same.

Â