Next Gen Series 2012/2013

mikeyp102

which was a big improvement on the previous batch.

I find it hard to argue they're better than Cahill, Gabby, Ridgewell and Gardner.

Haven't highly rated players like Abdo and Carruthers left good academies or turned down good teams to sign for us? This was happening before this win.

Wiemann > Gabby

Nobody > Cahill

Baker > Ridgewell

Gary (Potentially) > Craig Gardner

And the last bit you mention is very true - do you think that might be something to do with why our kids are European champions? And do you still fail to see any kind of benefit of good young players leaving other academies to join ours?

All of those are potential.

This is weimman's first year. You can't say he's had a better career than gabby. Same with baker, ridgewell is a regular pre player, baker has the potential but at the moment there's no way you can say they're better than the last batch.

why would I or any Villa fans give a **** what other fans think in 6 months or ever?

am sure no non-Fulham fans care about them getting to 2010 Europa League final but they care and are proud of it

You're comparing our youth teams achievement with a clubs first team achievement.

It's ridiculous.

Of course Fulham fans will be proud. That means something getting to a major cup final. That's what football is all about. First team football.

For BJ10, I suspect hope is less important - I suspect winning is much more important, not in the future, but now, in the next game, and the last game and in every game - that's what sport is about. I understand that, and he's right, but I'm not sure I agree.

I think that's fair enough.

Especially at the moment. Maybe if we weren't on the verge of relegation I'd find more to be positive about with this. And I'm sure it gets ignored because of my other comments but i do think there is some potential in this youth set up and it is without a doubt a fantastic achievement for them but it doesn't do much for me.

I don't renew my season ticket each year because of the youth team, i don't go to away games because of the youth team, I don't watch MOTD or sky because of the youth team. The youth team results don't make my night or ruin it. For me it's all about the first team.

And when these kids get their chance I'm sure the likes of Grealish will excite me just like Weimman has this year. But until it gets to that point I don't see much in it.

Fantastic win and it hopefully puts to bed any notion UEFA had of tying NextGen qualification to the CL qualification of the senior side. The spending power of the big boys should have absolutely zero influence on a youth competition. Even one Europe-wide. So well done Villa on the win and well done Villa on potentially doing youth football in Europe a ma-hoo-sive favour :thumb:

Now, I'm going to play devils advocate here.

UEFA are trying to open up a tournament like this to include smaller clubs and make qualification for it exist to some degree on merit.

NextGen are inviting those teams that they deem fit to take part on the basis of wealth, esteem and ability to attract TV viewers.

"The spending power of the big boys should have absolutely zero influence on a youth competition."

FC Cluj were in the Champions league this season - they would stand absolutely no chance of getting into a tournament where the tournament organisor was hand picking teams - UEFA are sticking up for them and teams like them.

The big clubs (or Arsenal at least) have said they want to stick with the NextGen competition because they are worried that; "the standard might drop" and by that I'm assuming they mean they don't want to be in a group with the no-name Champions of Belgium and would rather be in with a mid-table Italian club with a fancy name.

Tying qualification to Champions league qualification is inherently wrong, but let's not kid ourselves that the way in which NextGen is organised has any suggestion of being a meritocracy.

UEFA are organising a tournament that punishes smaller clubs like ours, no matter how good they are.

The NextGen are organising a tournament that protects big clubs like ours, no matter how we perform.

Somewhere out there is a way to do this properly - I'm sure we can trust footballs organising body and a TV company to find it.

In the meantime, those big clubs will be looking at this and thinking, this works well - why don't we have Liverpool back in the proper Champions league and get rid of FC Cluj - Ford and Barclaycard and Heineken would like that and it'd put a few million on the viewing figures - by the looks of things it doesn't seem that UEFA can do much to stop us.

This is one that's really worth keeping an eye on.

Very good points... Like you say it's hard to please everyone and ensure equality.. Maybe in the future, qualification will be done on the results of the academy league (which at the moment we wouldn't get in, even though I believe it may now change to a knockout tournament). However, again it would question whether teams in the weaker nations have such established youth leagues.

If you can't celebrate the good things without dwelling on the negatives its sometimes understandable. In this instance, I think the label miserable git is fitting.

God. Would you be like this if the women's team win the league? Did you used to go out and dance in the streets when the reserve team won their league? Are you glued to the Internet in full kit trying to find out how the U11's got on?

Its kids winning a youth level competition. It's pleasing, it's a good achievement but that's about it.

You might want to go and reserve your space for the parade.

Edited by Big_John_10

If you can't celebrate the good things without dwelling on the negatives its sometimes understandable. In this instance, I think the label miserable git is fitting.

God. Would you be like this if the women's team win the league? Did you used to go out and dance in the streets when the reserve team won their league? Are you glued to the Internet in full kit trying to find out how the U11's got on?

Its kids winning a youth level competition. It's pleasing, it's a good achievement but that's about it.

How do you block people again? I never worked it out yet? 

Oh you are full of the joys of spring aren't you? It's a positive achievement, it has potentially positive implications for the future of the club. It's a positive indication the academy is working. Every silver lining has a cloud with you, so it seems.

How weird I just posted this in another thread

Is there anything more pathetic than a stranger bragging to another stranger about how he's going to ignore him on an Internet forum?

I notice you failed to reply to my last post to you. Haha if only you could debate your point properly. Then you wouldn't have to resort to such posts as the one above. Oh well, my loss I guess.

Oh you are full of the joys of spring aren't you? It's a positive achievement, it has potentially positive implications for the future of the club. It's a positive indication the academy is working. Every silver lining has a cloud with you, so it seems.

I don't know how many more times I can say it.

I'm happy they won. I think it's a great achievement for them.

I don't see how anyone can pick negatives in something like this...

Bizarre how the human mind works...

Who is doing that?

He hasn't picked a negative?? He has just considered the implications!

Not once has Big John made any negative comments to aston Villa winning the Next Gen Series.

How weird I just posted this in another thread

Is there anything more pathetic than a stranger bragging to another stranger about how he's going to ignore him on an Internet forum?

I notice you failed to reply to my last post to you. Haha if only you could debate your point properly. Then you wouldn't have to resort to such posts as the one above. Oh well, my loss I guess.

I don't know how many more times I can say it.

I'm happy they won. I think it's a great achievement for them.

Who is doing that?
You're happy or you don't care? Which one. If you don't care why the hell are you here telling us you're happy? Why the hell are you even here?

So a nice civil thread for 30 odd pages, until we lift the trophy then all hell breaks loose

Only on VT ;-)

Imagine if we'd have been knocked out! Christ!

So a nice civil thread for 30 odd pages, until we lift the trophy then all hell breaks loose

Only on VT ;-)

Id assume the implications put forward would be pretty similar tbh.

Well I thought this was a place for people to share their opinions and debate in all things aston villa related.

If its not maybe you should let everyone know this.

But surely if the topic being debated is of no interest to you there is no point in commenting? Baisically you're saying, yeah they did well, yeah it bodes well for the future, but I don't care and I won't celebrate. In my book that's miserable.

Only on VT ;-)

Only on VT ;-)

Id assume the implications put forward would be pretty similar tbh.

I would imagine they'd be worse, considering we wouldn't have won the competition if we'd have been knocked out. 

Â