Media and punditry

BOF

Is Lee Hendrie getting more and more work now? I seem to be seeing him more often, and he's now co-commentating on Burnley v West Ham. 

8 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I’m really happy for him, after all the financial issues and mental health problems. Seems like he was taken for a ride during his football career, I remember when he first appeared on SSN as a live reporter he was so excited to be back in the game.

I’d rather listen to him get excited watching Burnley than the exasperated ‘if only they’d listen to me they’d be world beaters’ tone that a lot of pundits fall into.

Absolutely he's a pretty good commentator and easy to actually understand (unless it's just my Brummie ear). 

I can only understand every third word that Carragher spits at the microphone. 

• Like 1

I don't think I've seen one single Villa game this season where at least one of the commentators haven't said somewhere in the match about how good we are doing considering we were nearly relegated last season.

West Ham only finished 4 points ahead of us and are doing much better yet I've not heard any commentator mentioning their brush with relegation last season. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Absolutely he's a pretty good commentator and easy to actually understand (unless it's just my Brummie ear). 

I can only understand every third word that Carragher spits at the microphone. 

Lol I came here to post the exact same thing,  Im not saying this because he’s ex villa but he’s easy to listen to doesn’t make a fool of him self has a bit of humour about him and is quite insightful

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I don't think I've seen one single Villa game this season where at least one of the commentators haven't said somewhere in the match about how good we are doing considering we were nearly relegated last season.

West Ham only finished 4 points ahead of us and are doing much better yet I've not heard any commentator mentioning their brush with relegation last season. 

And Jack Grealish  getting frustrated and dropping deep to pick up the ball, Ollie Watkins having more to his game than goals , John Mcginn in fine scoring form for his country, Emi Martinez and his fa cup emotion!

36 minutes ago, sidcow said:

yes but then the commentator also mentions that we also only stayed up because the VAR wasnt working . The Villa cliches

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

Is Lee Hendrie getting more and more work now? I seem to be seeing him more often, and he's now co-commentating on Burnley v West Ham. 

There is a current thread on SHA about Hendrie. Many swear blind he is Blues through and through and several even claim he has a Blues tattoo on his chest and a Villa one on his arse. 

Is he really Blues is is this just their usual bullshit?

25 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

There is a current thread on SHA about Hendrie. Many swear blind he is Blues through and through and several even claim he has a Blues tattoo on his chest and a Villa one on his arse. 

I think that's about as bullshitty as bullshit gets. 

3 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Once you've been a professional footballer you don't really support anyone do you except the team you spent the longest time with.

The way Rio carries on he's born United fan.

15 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Once you've been a professional footballer you don't really support anyone do you except the team you spent the longest time with.

The way Rio carries on he's born United fan.

Nobody told Robbie Keane 😂

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

BBC debating if Van Dijk is the best Premier League centre half of all time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/56982961

This is just blatant pandering. He's a very good player, but the best ever? There's so many more I can quickly think of who were far superior; McGrath, Laursen, Adams, Campbell, Vidic, Stam, Ferdinand, Terry, Carvalho, Kompany, King off the top of my head. I don't get the hype.

Maybe I'm wrong. But I don't think he's as good as any of the players I've listed.

laughable, 18 months at the top which could easily be a blip in form. If thats the case surely Ruben Dias must be among the best as well, Apparently he is in the top 5 on that list, doubt he would make the top 20 if honest

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

laughable, 18 months at the top which could easily be a blip in form. If thats the case surely Ruben Dias must be among the best as well, Apparently he is in the top 5 on that list, doubt he would make the top 20 if honest

Can't disagree at all. This is the kind of wind up comment I'd expect from Talksport, not the BBC. He's probably not even Liverpool's best Premier League centre half, Sami Hyypia was massive for them.

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

He's a very good player no doubt, but the best ever? Maybe if you're a fan who's under 15 or something.

Its unsurprising really, before his injury the media were building him up as this incredible once in a lifetime defender who nobody ever dribbled past yet no mention of this stat when Konsa was leading the way this season. Not to mention they are blaming his injury for Liverpool demise yet he started when they conceded 10 goals to us and Leeds 

He is a good player but far off being one of the greatest players

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its unsurprising really, before his injury the media were building him up as this incredible once in a lifetime defender who nobody ever dribbled past yet no mention of this stat when Konsa was leading the way this season. Not to mention they are blaming his injury for Liverpool demise yet he started when they conceded 10 goals to us and Leeds 

He is a good player but far off being one of the greatest players

He might become a great - it's certainly not impossible, though it may well be hard for him to reach his previous levels after his injury - but he'd clearly need to be really good for more than 18 months or 2 years to be the 'best ever'.

The BBC have a 10 best ever centre halves column, with some (to me anyway) questionable inclusions of carvalho, stam descailly and kompany

Â