Media and punditry

BOF

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Like today!

He said they could have put 5-6 passed us on a different day. Unfortunately it needed to be today though didn't it Ange. 🤣

Good because we could have put. 6 or 7 past them on a different day. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mantis said:

Why did "Big Ange" get so much adoration from the media in such a short space of time? He's a good manager but it was way out of proportion.

I was thinking this same thing. It's weird. I think he's good for a soundbite: like Russell Crowe in his pomp. British media love a straight-talking Aussie, for a while. 

20 hours ago, Mantis said:

Why did "Big Ange" get so much adoration from the media in such a short space of time? He's a good manager but it was way out of proportion.

Because he came in at a point when Spurs had just lost their talisman of the last however many years and had them dispatching sides on the way to the top of the league.  No-one fancied Spurs for a top 4 finish, yet they were top.

(He also seems like a decent guy, for what it's worth).

He'll get some criticism now for not changing his system during an injury "crisis".  It's the nature of winning and losing football matches.

17 hours ago, The_Rev said:

There's been loads of pro Villa stuff during the international break, did you not see it?   There's no circus around Unai either, so column inches aren't being generated by drama, nor is he a guy that neutrals could sit and listen to for ages. Some of that is his personality, he seems pretty chill but some of it is just because he has a thick Basque accent too and it's not easy on the ear.  I don't care either way,  the Villa stuff is out there if you know where to look, just don't expect the BBC, Sky or whoever to start acting like a fan channel. 

I'll never understand this weird bitterness around "the media".

We get plenty of praise, and rightly so.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Because he came in at a point when Spurs had just lost their talisman of the last however many years and had them dispatching sides on the way to the top of the league.  No-one fancied Spurs for a top 4 finish, yet they were top.

(He also seems like a decent guy, for what it's worth).

He'll get some criticism now for not changing his system during an injury "crisis".  It's the nature of winning and losing football matches.

I think he was massively helped by losing Kane as well. As brilliant as Kane is, they way Spurs had been playing with him could only be detrimental to the rest of the team

51 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Surprised by the pundits on MOTD2.

Even the grumpy troll was relatively nice about us.

They even mentioned us when taking about the title race. Obviously only to say that they didn't think we were in it, but at least recognised the fact we were there at the moment. Even further justified by saying we'll be in the champs league hunt with Tottenham, Newcastle 🤮 and Man United 🤮.

That's about the highest praise we've got from them. Be interesting to see how we fare against Man City and Arsenal, but a result of any kind against them and they'd better start changing their tune further still. We don't do draws but I can see us winning one of those.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'll never understand this weird bitterness around "the media".

We get plenty of praise, and rightly so.

It's about expectations, some people expect media to be a fan channel and if it isn't then it's clearly against them and everything they stand for.   This isn't just about Villa, it's not even just about football but anything that covers any kind of tribalism from active wars to what brand of phone you bought last year.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The_Rev said:

It's about expectations, some people expect media to be a fan channel and if it isn't then it's clearly against them and everything they stand for.   This isn't just about Villa, it's not even just about football but anything that covers any kind of tribalism from active wars to what brand of phone you bought last year.  

I don't think anyone expects that, many just feel (and understandably so) that there's a bit of a bias towards certain clubs.

11 hours ago, Mantis said:

I don't think anyone expects that, many just feel (and understandably so) that there's a bit of a bias towards certain clubs.

Because certain clubs draws clicks.

It isn't rocket science.

3 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Because certain clubs draws clicks.

It isn't rocket science.

It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy though. They only talk about a select group of clubs as those draw the most clicks, those clubs continue to draw the most clicks as that's all they've talked about previously and it's helped those clubs to benefit financially (from growing numbers of plastic/overseas fans).

• Like 1

The media also need to be looked at when it comes to the current state of refereeing:

Cristiano Ronaldo: Al-Nassr striker asks referee to overturn penalty he won

But when Chinese referee Ma Ning awarded a penalty, Ronaldo argued the case for the decision to be overturned.

Ning was sent to the pitchside monitor and ultimately changed his call.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67553839

Joke of a headline. You do not "win" a penalty. This is the reason why so many are given for absolutely nothing these days. And, how could he "win" a penalty when it obviously wasn't one in the end?

Â