Media and punditry

BOF

I'm not one of those who needs to hear praise from pundits of how we are doing under Emery, and I'm more than happy for us to keep it stealthy and see what we can achieve by the end of the season.

But what gets me sometimes, like last night, the praise that the Barcodes get for "demolishing" Everton by 3 goals, and you compare it to what we have got when we "fluked" our 3 nil win against the Barcodes not so long ago.

I know the Barcodes has a bit of a love-in history with the media, ever since the Keegan/Shearer/Shirtless Fat Man era. It does feel likethe love-in has gone up a level since the Saudi takeover.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HongKongVillan said:

But what gets me sometimes, like last night, the praise that the Barcodes get for "demolishing" Everton by 3 goals, and you compare it to what we have got when we "fluked" our 3 nil win against the Barcodes not so long ago.

Er…I don’t know how to put this politely and respectfully….”you’re barking up the wrong tree” is perhaps the best way. Literally no one in the media or punditry claimed we fluked the victory over Newcastle. The media was full of praise about how well we played, how it could have been more and so on. Newcastle beat a struggling Everton last night. Meh.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mic09 said:

two reasons;

1. Their performances are based on clicks.

2. It's the BBC - cutting edge, knowledgeable journalists prefer to write in independent media outlets/YouTube format without the restrictions of the political background associated with a state funded organisation.  

It is not state-funded. It is a wholly independent organisation, with money raised by the license fee.

28 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It is not state-funded. It is a wholly independent organisation, with money raised by the license fee.

Apologies, you are correct. They do receive gov grants, however vast majority is gained via licence.

They are however not independent; https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/ourbeeb/bbc-is-neither-independent-or-impartial-interview-with-tom-mills/

Ian Sinclair: In an interview with the Press Gazette after she was recently named Journalist of the Year at the British Journalism Awards, Laura Kuenssberg, the BBC’s Political Editor, said ‘Among the many jewels and gifts that the BBC has is our editorial independence’. She went on to argue ‘I would die in a ditch for the impartiality of the BBC. That’s what we do.’ Is the BBC independent and impartial?

Tom Mills: The simple answer is ‘no’. But the question isn’t quite as straightforward as it sounds.  First it is important to state from the outset what is rarely acknowledged in discussions about the BBC: that it isn’t independent from governments, let alone from the broader Establishment. The BBC has always been formally accountable to ministers for its operations. Governments set the terms under which it operates, they appoint its most senior figures, who in future will be directly involved in day-to-day managerial decision making, and they set the level of the licence fee, which is the BBC’s major source of income. So that’s the context within which the BBC operates, and it hardly amounts to independence in any substantive sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Apologies, you are correct. They do receive gov grants, however vast majority is gained via licence.

They are however not independent; https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/ourbeeb/bbc-is-neither-independent-or-impartial-interview-with-tom-mills/

'The BBC is a statutory corporation, independent from direct government intervention, with its activities being overseen from April 2017 by the BBC Board and regulated by Ofcom' according to Wikipedia.

I am sure Tom Mills didn't have an axe to grind in that article, what with being the author of BBC- the myth of public service.

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

'The BBC is a statutory corporation, independent from direct government intervention, with its activities being overseen from April 2017 by the BBC Board and regulated by Ofcom' according to Wikipedia.

I am sure Tom Mills didn't have an axe to grind in that article, what with being the author of BBC- the myth of public service.

I think I'd trust someone who'd written a book on it over Wikipedia. 

It is just very obviously true that while it is not 'state funded' in the sense of coming out of DCMS' budget, it *is* funded by a model that politicians can change at any time, at a price set by the government of the day. Every single government reminds them of this at every opportunity, of course, but sure, let's pretend that that has literally no effect whatsoever on how they act. 

41 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Jeff Stelling leaving for definite this time sky. Final nail in the coffin. Actually had it on today in the background and it's absolutely woeful.

Watched it the other week for the 1st time In ages, the show needs cancelling its bloody awful since they got rid of the old panel and replaced them with the likes of Clinton Morrison who just talks for the sake of it and Sue smith with her talking hands

• Like 1

19 hours ago, villa4europe said:

By the time Geoff has finished explaining a goal I can go online and find it

Sky's hands are kind of tied with the 3pm kick off stuff but until they can show goals the format is dead

I expect the majority of viewers used to watch for the entertainment they provided before they made it boring. I doubt many people cared that they could get on their phones and Google it faster. 

7 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

I expect the majority of viewers used to watch for the entertainment they provided before they made it boring. I doubt many people cared that they could get on their phones and Google it faster. 

Linked to gambling and then like you say replaced by phones

Saturday afternoon in the pub with the slip watching geoff

Replaced by an app

This weeks idiotic comment on Sky.

the SSN host asking if Villa will be happy only losing 1 nil  . Clinton Morrison looked perplexed and  had to point out that winning is everything and of course Emery will be disappointed . 

Such dickheads. 

Â