Media and punditry

BOF

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7qpczq3h1pnsfz64l8c

Last of MoTD… if the result were reversed I imagine it would’ve featured higher up the pecking order. 

Granted, it was never going to usurp the Mancheater City/Arsenal games but last on with minimal coverage time is shit. 

28 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7qpczq3h1pnsfz64l8c

Last of MoTD… if the result were reversed I imagine it would’ve featured higher up the pecking order. 

Granted, it was never going to usurp the Mancheater City/Arsenal games but last on with minimal coverage time is shit. 

I think it was a mid table game with not much at stake for the neutral so I can understand that.

Now things are tight for euro places and relegation it might change. Every game as implications it will change.

Keep winning and it will be the fairytale story nobody can ignore.  At the moment we are stealth like 👍 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Which comment from today's game is more irritating?

Is it A: 'Where there's a Willock there's a way!'

or is it B: 'They should call him Sean LUNGstaff because he works so hard!'

go-vote-now-tyler-oakley.gif

Are these Druryisms as well?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yep 🤮

It really makes my head implode how people worship the guy. He is a huge distraction. Give me Jim Proudfoot. Calls the game with a bit of panache but doesn't make a show of it. 

And for all of Drury's verbosity, he often can't articulate key passages of play at all!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

EDIT: No, Martin Tyler (I now realise upon checking)

Even his "And it's LIIIVE" at the start sounded like late career Alan Partridge. I missed the Lungstaff line, but "Where there's a Willock" made my entire anus implode

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

I respect Martin Tyler and learned a lot about English football from him back in the 90s. But sadly he's slipped these days and can be kind of corny. I still like him though, he's a gentleman. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

It really makes my head implode how people worship the guy. He is a huge distraction. Give me Jim Proudfoot. Calls the game with a bit of panache but doesn't make a show of it. 

And for all of Drury's verbosity, he often can't articulate key passages of play at all!

The thing is he gets noticed now, he was a solid commentator for years but never getting past Tyldsley on ITV for the big games so probably felt he might as well go OTT all the time.

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

I respect Martin Tyler and learned a lot about English football from him back in the 90s. But sadly he's slipped these days and can be kind of corny. I still like him though, he's a gentleman. 

To be fair, I don't know much about him, and his actual commentary on what was happening on the pitch was fine. He just needs somebody armed with a cattle prod to sit next to him and 'remind' him that puns are the lowest form of wit. 

10 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Ha, I like Chris Sutton as a pundit but he just said he "feels sorry for Gerrard"!!!

Ha yeah I tuned after seeing your post but just in time to hear the start of Sutton’s musings.

That was the first thing he said “I feel sorry for Steven Gerrard”. Or at least within the first two sentences.

Mark Chapman to his credit immediately asking “Why?”.

For those who didn’t catch it, Sutton basically said some nice things about Emery and some of the Villa players. One of the other pundits then pointed out that Sutton hadn’t answered why he feels sorry for Gerrard. Essentially it’s because it’s a shame when someone loses their job. 

There was a lot of “Well Emery suits Villa more than Arsenal because the spotlight isn’t on him as much. The pressure is not as great.”  There is an element of that in terms of the national media, but a bit more discussion about how Arsenal were in disarray at the time of Emery’s appointment, the first year was not too shabby and taking into account how underperforming Villa were under Gerrard, just needed a bit more of that. 

But they’re taking note. Personally don’t mind staying under the radar as long as possible as the analysis when things are going well isn’t particularly rewarding.

• Like 1

Talksport today, caller "maybe you should talk more how good the Villa were, instead of talking about how bad Chelsea were. Laura Woods "ofcourse we are going to talk Villa and how good Emery is doing".

5 seconds later, "anyway now Potter has gone, who's coming in next at Chelsea, blah, blah blah".

19 hours ago, duke313 said:

You have to laugh. All of a sudden they show the bottom 12, something must have changed

84076E84-BCD9-4E27-AD29-38264BE10DDA.jpeg

Isn't that just highlighting the relegation battle?  The graphic even says "the bottom 9".

Â