Media and punditry

BOF

Roy Keane loves football. Popped up on ITV tonight!

He's not sympathetic enough to coach at the top level I don't think.

It's weird, he might work as a youth coach or something. He would mentally improve 60% of players, and just ruin the others.

Edited by Tomaszk

Ridiculous hypocrisy from the BBC after the Reading pitch invasion.

Fans entering the field of play without authorisation? Check. Goading the away supporters? Check. They even threw in a smoke bomb for good measure! **** the BBC.

I made a complaint to the BBC last week basically calling them out on their hypocrisy on their coverage of lower league pitch invasions and our pitch invasion, while also accepting that they were right to heavily criticise the first pitch invasion before the end of the match. Here's their response:

"We appreciate that football is subjective and that fans will hold a hugely diverse range of opinions, especially during a tense local derby such as this.

In this case, Mark Lawrenson and Jonathan Pearce were simply expressing their own views on what they could see at that moment in time. As the incident was unfolding, Mark expressed his criticism for those who ran onto the pitch, but shortly after he pointed out that the majority of the Villa fans who remained in the stands were booing the fans on the pitch as they felt they were ruining the win for everyone else. Mark and Jonathan didn’t state that those on the pitch were only Villa fans, they simply expressed their concerns as the pitch invasion occurred when the game was still in play meaning the referee could still have abandoned the game.

We’re sorry to learn that you’re unhappy with the commentary and we can assure you that our Football production teams are aware of the issues that have been raised."

Completely dodged the subject of the complaint.

Quite simply the difference in reaction was they didn't have Perce and Lawrenson on. Them pair are so unprofessional, and miserable I don't know why they either bother.

I'm watching the cup game again right now and on 54 minutes Lawrenson, upon the camera panning across the crowd in full voice states in a sarcastic manner - "oh, you're at the game all of a sudden?"

I'm no longer paying my licence fee. The product they produce simply isn't worth it to me.

I made a complaint to the BBC last week basically calling them out on their hypocrisy on their coverage of lower league pitch invasions and our pitch invasion, while also accepting that they were right to heavily criticise the first pitch invasion before the end of the match. Here's their response:

"We appreciate that football is subjective and that fans will hold a hugely diverse range of opinions, especially during a tense local derby such as this.

In this case, Mark Lawrenson and Jonathan Pearce were simply expressing their own views on what they could see at that moment in time. As the incident was unfolding, Mark expressed his criticism for those who ran onto the pitch, but shortly after he pointed out that the majority of the Villa fans who remained in the stands were booing the fans on the pitch as they felt they were ruining the win for everyone else. Mark and Jonathan didn’t state that those on the pitch were only Villa fans, they simply expressed their concerns as the pitch invasion occurred when the game was still in play meaning the referee could still have abandoned the game.

We’re sorry to learn that you’re unhappy with the commentary and we can assure you that our Football production teams are aware of the issues that have been raised."

Completely dodged the subject of the complaint.

That is the same email they sent me!

That's all Lawro does. Make snidey jokes about anyone and everyone. He's always done it.

As a pundit he's just about acceptable. But as a co-commentator he is honestly the worst. I don't understand how he can be employed.

I'm watching the cup game again right now and on 54 minutes Lawrenson, upon the camera panning across the crowd in full voice states in a sarcastic manner - "oh, you're at the game all of a sudden?"

I'm no longer paying my licence fee. The product they produce simply isn't worth it to me.

Also, the atmosphere was cracking from start to finish in the cup game. From both sets of supporters.

Edited by Stevo985

I wonder if the BBCs over reaction and insistence that it was a "return to the bad old days" was a tactic to divert attention from the ridiculous decision to stage this game at 5.30. Against police advice it seems. 

I think it was simply London-centric media hysteria at people in the Midlands displaying a most unSouthern sort of thing: passion.

Prepare to be chased to the end of the earth for your 12 pounds a month

Â