Ashley Westwood

Nabby

His only meaningful contribution today was giving away the penalty.

Yes, he was awful, but I don't agree that that is typical of his time at the club, he is currently in a very poor run of form. He has played far too many games for us due to a succession of paper thin squads, and if we had viable alternatives he wouldn't be playing at the moment.

Many people greatly exaggerate the importance of a £1m signing to our overall decline.

9 minutes ago, poitier said:

His only meaningful contribution today was giving away the penalty.

Yes, he was awful, but I don't agree that that is typical of his time at the club, he is currently in a very poor run of form. He has played far too many games for us due to a succession of paper thin squads, and if we had viable alternatives he wouldn't be playing at the moment.

Many people greatly exaggerate the importance of a £1m signing to our overall decline.

You can't exaggerate the importance of signing so many players of Westwood's dismal standard over the last 5 years that has contributed to our horrible decline though. He sums up the whole club in my opinion. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, avfc1982 said:

You can't exaggerate the importance of signing so many players of Westwood's dismal standard over the last 5 years that has contributed to our horrible decline though. He sums up the whole club in my opinion. 

Read through my posts in this thread and ive said that same thing a few times over the seasons.  He epitomises this club perfectly over the past 5 years in his ability and the way he plays.  

He gets defended and protected on here far to much imo.  Its not personal and he seems to be a nice guy but he is terrible and always has been.  League 1 is his level.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Read through my posts in this thread and ive said that same thing a few times over the seasons.  He epitomises this club perfectly over the past 5 years in his ability and the way he plays.  

He gets defended and protected on here far to much imo.  Its not personal and he seems to be a nice guy but he is terrible and always has been.  League 1 is his level.

I understand the point you are making and I don't disagree entirely, but Westwood cost £1m four seasons ago and has at least been value for money, even if you think the quality hasn't been very good, we have had our money's worth from him. We have signed lots of players since then who have cost more and been rubbish, but Westwood is the one who gets singled out as being the epitome of all that is wrong with the club.

2 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

You were right but he ultimately was just a symptom not the cause of disease

1 hour ago, avfc1982 said:

We've had our money's worth from him? Well that's one way of looking at it. Buy a team full of Westwoods and watch your Premier League club become a Championship club. 

Theres your money's worth. 

But we haven't bought a team of Westwoods have we. If we had got value for money out of Veretout, Sanchez, Gil, Adama, Gestede etc we wouldn't be in this mess.

12 hours ago, poitier said:

But we haven't bought a team of Westwoods have we. If we had got value for money out of Veretout, Sanchez, Gil, Adama, Gestede etc we wouldn't be in this mess.

Oh please! This club has been in decline since 2010 because we have bought so many trash players like Westwood. Honestly if you think we're being relegated because of the signings we made in just one window you mustn't have been watching Villa closely since O'Neill walked all those years ago. 

• Like 1