Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I think your wrong, Joe.

He's going to be excellent. Depressingly, probably too good for us.

PL is quoted to-day saying that we are trying to build something for the future and that none of our young players are for sale. Lambert has got them believing in themselves and hence they are playing with confidence. Westwood said recently that he honestly did not think he was good enough for the Villa, but he is proving himself wrong. Why should he be too good for us when the future is looking bright. We have huge potential as a club but have never been able to fulfill it since Sir Ron left. If Lambert keeps signing players like Lowton, Westwood and Benteke there is not going to be any reason for any of them to want to leave Villa Park.

Don't you wish your striker was Benteke. Don't you.

Hey, there's nothing I want more than Westwood to be as good as I think he could be, and to stay with us. He's my favourite player right now.

But if he does end up as good as I think he will be, bigger clubs will come calling. Lambert can say they're not for sale, and I believe he intends that. But Young, Downing, Milner, Barry etc weren't for sale. If a player gets his head turned, then there's not much we can do to stop them leaving.

Will Westwood buck the trend and actually be happy to stay with us? Or will we improve enough so that he can realise his ambitions with us?

I would love both or either of those things to be true.

Sorry, I didn't want this thread to go this way. I'd be annoyed if someone else did this, so I won't post on this subject anymore.

Cracking player, and so calm for a player who is playing 3 divisions higher than he was just 8 months ago!

These are the sort of signings that I'm so happy that we're making now, after watching other clubs discovering these gems while we were paying 'top dollar' for 'proven Premier League talent'.

I think this boy will be our captain sooner rather than later, and I think that PL has found the long-term replacement for Stan Petrov in midfield.

Hey, there's nothing I want more than Westwood to be as good as I think he could be, and to stay with us. He's my favourite player right now.

But if he does end up as good as I think he will be, bigger clubs will come calling. Lambert can say they're not for sale, and I believe he intends that. But Young, Downing, Milner, Barry etc weren't for sale. If a player gets his head turned, then there's not much we can do to stop them leaving.

Will Westwood buck the trend and actually be happy to stay with us? Or will we improve enough so that he can realise his ambitions with us?

I would love both or either of those things to be true.

Sorry, I didn't want this thread to go this way. I'd be annoyed if someone else did this, so I won't post on this subject anymore.

I would hope that under Lambert, he and Benteke can realise their ambitions with us, but even if they eventually decide to move on I would trust Lambert to find adeqate replacements. Every player has his price, even United found this with Ronaldo, and if a player wants to leave there is no point in trying to hold onto them. It is the law of the jungle I am afraid.

The key to keeping them is the manager.

MON was a stirrer who had favourites and pissed players off almost deliberately.

Houllier and McLeish, well... 'nuff said.

But when players are in a club that's on the up, AND they like and respect the boss, they are far less likely to be tempted away. Look at Moyes.

I believe Lambert is that sort of boss, and could be the key to building a new dynasty, given time.

The key to keeping them is the manager.

MON was a stirrer who had favourites and pissed players off almost deliberately.

Houllier and McLeish, well... 'nuff said.

But when players are in a club that's on the up, AND they like and respect the boss, they are far less likely to be tempted away. Look at Moyes.

I believe Lambert is that sort of boss, and could be the key to building a new dynasty, given time.

and the key to keeping the manager is the owner supporting him

I think your wrong, Joe.

He's going to be excellent. Depressingly, probably too good for us.

I hope so and knew that alot of people would disagree. I'll be surprised if he moves higher than top 8-10 Premier League. Again, hardly a criticism as such because he's been one of our best players and will contintue to do so. In fact, the post come more from a few twitter comments about playing for England regularly. While he may be a player in a couple years who is on the fringes, I don't see him ever being that good.

Anyway, delighted with his start, been top 4 performers alongside Guzan, Lowton and Benteke so hope he keeps it up.

...when players are in a club that's on the up, AND they like and respect the boss, they are far less likely to be tempted away. Look at Moyes.

Lescott, Rooney, Arteta, Piennar...

I don't think that the point is that comforting really, it just means that the Club gets good fees, becuase the yare good players.

I think you could equally argue that Everton is a Big Club, and there aren't many places to go that are better. While they compete towars the top, there's not likely to be that many clubs with the money and drawing power to take their players.

I don't think you're wrong, but I think it's more than just the Moyes factor that keeps players there. (Not that you were syaing it was just Moyes).

Villa needs to get back to the upper reaches ASAP, not least because if we don't Lambert will be off.