Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I remember 4 passes to Holman when he was in front of the back 4 and behind the midfield. He also did the same to Weimann and Gabby. Those passes lead to chances as invariably you get the run on the defence and you can slip through balls in or play it out wide and get in the box. We lack composure in the final third and I include Benteke in that. We need to sign 2 players to play alongisde Benteke (i.e. in Weimann and Gabbys place). We also need someone to play alongside Westwood.

I remember 4 passes to Holman when he was in front of the back 4 and behind the midfield. He also did the same to Weimann and Gabby. Those passes lead to chances as invariably you get the run on the defence and you can slip through balls in or play it out wide and get in the box. We lack composure in the final third and I include Benteke in that. We need to sign 2 players to play alongisde Benteke (i.e. in Weimann and Gabbys place). We also need someone to play alongside Westwood.

100% agree with this post, and I think Lambert does too. Gabby and Weimann are good center forwards with strengths of their own, but I think Lambert wants more skillful playmakers and/or players that can take on a defender in those roles. I believe this is why Bent can't get in the side because he can't do anything the front three are doing right now, even if they are not perfect for the roles.

It seems that Lambert has a vision of how he wants to play, and is looking for the players to suit that vision, but can't find all of them in one window. He purchased KEA and Westwood to see who could fill the role of deep lying playmaker, and Westwood is making it his own. He purchased Benteke to hold the ball up, and he is playing his role. He purchased Vlaar, Lowton, and Bennett, inherited Clark and Baker to have a more athletic back four, jury is out on that one as it will take time to adjust and gel as a unit.

He inherited Holman and Ireland, Gabby and Weimann who have some of the traits he is looking for up front, but not necessarily the whole package. It would seem to suit N'Zogbia perfectly, and we may see him upon return be played there. I know his form has been terrible, but we weren't necessarily playing this formation as effectively as Bannan and Westwood have prior to his injury, so there's hope he could slot in, but overall I think the three forwards sitting behind Benteke is where Lambert will spend some cash.

Best player on the pitch. One solitary mistake where he rolled it short for someone.

Not just composed on the ball, but also impossible to panic. Instead of giving it away to someone quickly, he'll put his foot on it, turn around and look for a better ball, constantly probing. Some of his passes cut straight through their defence causing them lots of problems. If we weren't so wasteful with Gabby's lack of talent, Weimann's lack of composure and Benteke's lack of pace, we would have had quite a few goals from them. I'll leave the Bent debate for somewhere else though.

Finally. not only was he superb with the passing and composed on the ball, he was also tactically excellent. As soon as the ball was lost from another Bannan or Baker long ball to Benteke's head, he was scurrying back into position, giving everyone else instructions on where to go and who to pick up. He was the main reason we kept Reading out, and also the main reason we scored. As about a complete a player as I've seen for a while.

Agreed on all points.

I suspected he would be a player you'd appreciate once you'd paid him closer attention. He isn't instantly eye catching at all but once you notice him he makes quite an impression.

Benteke gets the plaudits but for me this lad is Lambert's best piece of business of the summer based on what we've seen so far.

I gave up on believing in loyalty from footballers long ago.

He'll be no more loyal to us than he was to Crewe.

Bit harsh mate, If I'm remembering his interview upon arrival at Villa Park correctly he had been in the Crewe youth system since age 7. Just the 15 years of loyalty before moving up to the prem!

Bit harsh mate, If I'm remembering his interview upon arrival at Villa Park correctly he had been in the Crewe youth system since age 7. Just the 15 years of loyalty before moving up to the prem!

And he moved when a decent offer came in for him. The same as every player does.

And he moved when a decent offer came in for him. The same as every player does.

Step up from League 1 to Aston Villa is quite a bit different than going from AVFC to Manure, especially if we can get back to top 6 in couple seasons.

It is the state of the modern game unfortunately.

As soon as a smaller team gets a good young side together and performs well the players are picked off by a team higher in the food chain.

The only thing you can hope for is that the money is reinvested well and you start the process again.

We have totally given up on Villa being a big team haven't we?

I too am already expecting one of the big boys to come in and buy our best players in the summer, i didn't realize I was doing it until I read and agreed with this thread.

Does that make us the Crewe of the Premiership?

It really is the big problem isn't it... the way you build a team which starts to look promising & then the parasite clubs come bullying around & do every underhand tactic possible to steal your best players. The worst offenders are Man U, Liverpool & Man City... Of course the lower league teams could i guess throw the exact same accusations at us & all the other Prem clubs.. It's the Pecking order i suppose but it's still flipping frustrating.