Ashley Westwood

Nabby

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

JTRhrom.jpg
saRTF20.jpg
YiW9oAk.jpg
1aemNMm.jpg

Everone here is such an expert in pass direction, I'm sure you'll be able to tell me which of these is Westwood, right?

This doesn't fit any narrative of him being complete shit so you won't get an answer. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, a m ole said:

funny part is the top one is Lansbury, who it appears managed 2 passes forward all match! Westwood is no. 4, consistently picking out Ayew on the right with forward passes, who in turn was the most dangerous player on the pitch. How many chances did we create in that game? It doesn't tell a story of a midfield not doing its job. 2 and 3 are McCormack and Gardner respectively.

it's right to highlight a missed tackle in a series of poor play by the whole defensive unit that lead to a goal but we were highly unfortunate in that respect to concede both shots on target - at least unfortunate enough not to warrant the Ashley Westwood thread being at the very top of the board again with posters regurgitating the same pathetic comments about him being the worst, most cowardly player ever to have lived.

This is an excellent post and shows that both Gardner and Westwood are capable of playing a role in this team. My main issue is that the two cannot play together and that is what led to the weak midfield against Forest when it came to defending. As long as we have one of Tshibola or Jedinak  who are a bit stronger in the tackle and impose themselves more on the game I think that Gardner or Westwood would be fine. The real issue in midfield is going to be the fitness of Tshibola and/or Jedinak. We need a large number of games out of both of these.

As far as Westwood is concerned I thought he was his usual tidy self on Sunday but was partly at fault for both goals conceded. I also thought that Gardner was the better of the two in the Forest game but this was probably the first time this season I'd have said that and I'm not too sure why people feel the need to constantly criticise certain players. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

This is an excellent post and shows that both Gardner and Westwood are capable of playing a role in this team. My main issue is that the two cannot play together and that is what led to the weak midfield against Forest when it came to defending. As long as we have one of Tshibola or Jedinak  who are a bit stronger in the tackle and impose themselves more on the game I think that Gardner or Westwood would be fine. The real issue in midfield is going to be the fitness of Tshibola and/or Jedinak. We need a large number of games out of both of these.

As far as Westwood is concerned I thought he was his usual tidy self on Sunday but was partly at fault for both goals conceded. I also thought that Gardner was the better of the two in the Forest game but this was probably the first time this season I'd have said that and I'm not too sure why people feel the need to constantly criticise certain players. 

totally agree, the two of them are too similar to play together if we can help it, as a three with one or both of jed/tish they can do what they do best. 

11 hours ago, a m ole said:

funny part is the top one is Lansbury, who it appears managed 2 passes forward all match! Westwood is no. 4, consistently picking out Ayew on the right with forward passes, who in turn was the most dangerous player on the pitch. How many chances did we create in that game? It doesn't tell a story of a midfield not doing its job. 2 and 3 are McCormack and Gardner respectively.

it's right to highlight a missed tackle in a series of poor play by the whole defensive unit that lead to a goal but we were highly unfortunate in that respect to concede both shots on target - at least unfortunate enough not to warrant the Ashley Westwood thread being at the very top of the board again with posters regurgitating the same pathetic comments about him being the worst, most cowardly player ever to have lived.

Agree, it totally unwarranted to come to them conclusions over 1 match.  I, myself have come to them conclusions over a period of 3 years.  You can defend him over one or two games but not over a prolonged period of three years 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

Agree, it totally unwarranted to come to them conclusions over 1 match.  I, myself have come to them conclusions over a period of 3 years.  You can defend him over one or two games but not over a prolonged period of three years 

it's been shown in this thread over and over that the sideways, backwards passing criticism is at best confirmation bias.

Edited by a m ole

So the 'hel play better with better players' argument seems a myth already.... tho tbh I don't think he's got good players around him.

Wonder what the diminishing 'pro Westwood camp' will come up with next?

Absolute dogshit and has been for 95% of the time he has been here. I've no idea why we are now five years down the line and the club still hasn't recognised this. 

I see his inadequacy in a vital position as a major reason for our downfall. Keeps us ticking for certain. Ticking the wrong **** way. 

• Like 3