Ashley Westwood

Nabby

He was excellent today, did a superb job from start to finish.  I didn't even realise Henderson was playing until the match had finished and we were talking to some Scousers.  The midfield was a joy to watch today, and he played an important role in it.  Well done Ashley, he was up there with all of the midfield for MOTM today.

For me that was his best performance in a Villa shirt I really thought he was outstanding. Made some top class opponents look like nothing much.

He's way above Sanchez right now in my opinion

Edited by villaglint

He really was fantastic, played a huge part in winning that midfield battle.

I've always liked Westwood, he rarely puts a foot wrong. Shouldn't be sold IMO, even if he doesn't start every game he's a very solid option to bring in.

He really was fantastic, played a huge part in winning that midfield battle.

I've always liked Westwood, he rarely puts a foot wrong. Shouldn't be sold IMO, even if he doesn't start every game he's a very solid option to bring in.

I was just about to post the same thing. He's no world-beater, but throughout the brief highs and tremendous lows of the last couple of seasons he's been consistently decent, often when those around him have been far less than that - and of course, sometimes, like today, he plays out of his skin. Great game today, Westy, nice one.

Westwood>Sanchez.

Definitely.

On his day, Sanchez is better.

But that day is every now and then for Sanchez, and the rest of the time he can be awful.

Westwood is way way more consistent.

No he shouldn't be a certain starter these days. But today showed that he is still a very valuable member of the squad, and talk of letting him leave is premature, imo.

Personally I would stick with Westwood, Cleverly, Delph, Grealish. They seem to fit well together - Sanchez is too much of a liability Imho.

Great game from Westwood, Sherwood has a tough decision to make for who starts between him and Sanchez against City.

I don't think is a hard decision at all. On current form Westwood is light years ahead of Sanchez. Whether there is potential for Sanchez to take that position is a different question but Westwood didn't put a foot wrong recently and rarely does. He's a 7/8 of ten pretty much every game. Sanchez is 10 out of ten one game then 2,3 and 1 the next!

I think Westwood is very under-rated on here and he didn't look out of place alongside Delph or Cleverley yesterday - the weakest midfielder we had was N'Zogbia. If it'd have been Westwood that had failed to clear for their opener (instead of Delph) he would have been slaughtered, yet I can't remember a single thing he did wrong yesterday and in many matches. He plays 100%, keeps things tidy and is calm. He might not be the most attacking midfielder we've got but if we put on 11 forward minded players we'll just end up getting relegated having scored the most goals ever!

Great game from Westwood, Sherwood has a tough decision to make for who starts between him and Sanchez against City.

I don't think is a hard decision at all. On current form Westwood is light years ahead of Sanchez. Whether there is potential for Sanchez to take that position is a different question but Westwood didn't put a foot wrong recently and rarely does. He's a 7/8 of ten pretty much every game. Sanchez is 10 out of ten one game then 2,3 and 1 the next!

I think Westwood is very under-rated on here and he didn't look out of place alongside Delph or Cleverley yesterday - the weakest midfielder we had was N'Zogbia. If it'd have been Westwood that had failed to clear for their opener (instead of Delph) he would have been slaughtered, yet I can't remember a single thing he did wrong yesterday and in many matches. He plays 100%, keeps things tidy and is calm. He might not be the most attacking midfielder we've got but if we put on 11 forward minded players we'll just end up getting relegated having scored the most goals ever!

7/8 out of ten?

Very harsh.

7/8 out of ten?

Very harsh.

Not quite one out of ten, I think he was thinking of Tonev! ;)

• Like 1