Ashley Westwood

Nabby

He was brilliant but i don't think we have enough going forward with a midfield 3 of sanchez, delph and Westwood.

Seeing as they've only played about 20min I think you should give them a bit more time together. Sanchez is more athletic so should enable Westwood and Delph to push more with better movement up front Westwood will find them as he's a very good passer.

I don't think its a case of not giving them time. Its just neither delph or Westwood are attacking midfield players. Delph was excellent today but he's not going to slip great through balls into spaces. Westwood is a good passer but like Barry he's good at spreading balls and keeping possession in the middle. There's a reason why we tried to sign hoolahan and why we've signed Joe Cole. We've been crying out for an AM player for a long time now.

He was brilliant but i don't think we have enough going forward with a midfield 3 of sanchez, delph and Westwood.

Seeing as they've only played about 20min I think you should give them a bit more time together. Sanchez is more athletic so should enable Westwood and Delph to push more with better movement up front Westwood will find them as he's a very good passer.

I don't think its a case of not giving them time. Its just neither delph or Westwood are attacking midfield players. Delph was excellent today but he's not going to slip great through balls into spaces. Westwood is a good passer but like Barry he's good at spreading balls and keeping possession in the middle. There's a reason why we tried to sign hoolahan and why we've signed Joe Cole. We've been crying out for an AM player for a long time now.

In the formation we played today if Westwood was further forward instead of the deep one he'll create more and better chances. He hasn't had that opportunity yet that's why I said it's too early to judge. He created a lot from deep last year so he has the pass and without the defensive responsibility should do better.

• Like 1

Amazing what a bit of genuine competition for places can do to a player, played really well today, got stuck in and showed some nice touches when he did have the ball.  If we can get a  couple more in and add Sanchez to the team we will be a fairly decent side.

I agree that midfield trio doesn't have enough creativity, but if we go with that narrow midfield diamond formation and add Cole at the tip (or N'Zogbia if Cole's injured), that's a pretty solid midfield four which would allow all four players to do what they're good at. It would leave us open on the flanks, but our fullbacks are not as weak this year. I'd like to see that formation tried. The only problem is which two of our misfiring strikers go up top?

Westy had a great game today. Really hoping that this is the season he kicks it into high gear. I have a good feeling about him.

I think he does everything right except for his corners, they are simply awful..

When was the last time we had a good constant corner kick taker? Tonev looked good in the Malaga pre season game then suddenly became sh** and Albrighton is gone now..

Edited by AVFCRAMTIN

Hodgson was at the game today, and other than Delph, the only other player of interest to him would have to be Westwood. An England call up could really help his confidence. 

Don't be daft - Hodgson doesn't call up Villa players.

Hodgson was at the game today, and other than Delph, the only other player of interest to him would have to be Westwood. An England call up could really help his confidence.

It's not his fault, he's got a dodgy Sky box: table cuts off after the top 5 teams.

Do not think he was brilliant as some are suggesting. He was good and showed some excellent touches, but him and Delph always seem a second away from a wayward pass or diabolical clearance. Still a lot to do to cement a place for me.

Do not think he was brilliant as some are suggesting. He was good and showed some excellent touches, but him and Delph always seem a second away from a wayward pass or diabolical clearance.

I'm pretty sure Westwood has comfortably the highest pass completion ratio in our squad, and is pretty high up in the league with that ratio.

He has his weaknesses, but misplacing passes isn't one of them.

• Like 2

Thought he had a good game - but not having a decent target to hit doesn't help him (or Delph). The front 4 of Wiemann, Richardson and particularly N'Zogbia and Agbonlahor turn over too much easy ball which makes it tough on our defense.

His biggest downfall is he goes missing in games and you rarely notice him till he does something brilliant. However this is few and far in between. He needs to step up and take control of some games.. go looking for the ball and take it to them. He just seems to get it and pass to the closest player. He DOES have quality in passing and vision but I have yet to see him use it often enough. I think when he first came he could not believe he was a Premier League player and maybe its a mental thing..

I hope he gets forward more now that we have Sanchez to play the deeper role as Westwood is wasted there. 

Edited by KSV
  • Like 1

Would like to see him taking more shots on from edge of box. I don't think the killer pass issue is his fault, the runs aren't being made in front of him, the strikers don't take up space unless it's out wide then it slows down as they can't beat a man - this then looks like a less than positive pass from westy as the recipient isn't able to do anything.

With strikers spinning and turning the centre backs I'm sure he'd be more effective. You can only pass to what's available and our current strike force leaves him not a lot to aim at.

He creates very little and loses possession too much. He's one of the main reasons why our midfield is so poor. I was hoping Sanchez was coming in as a replacement for Westwood.

Only 15 players created more than him last season.

• Like 3

He creates very little and loses possession too much. He's one of the main reasons why our midfield is so poor. I was hoping Sanchez was coming in as a replacement for Westwood.

Only 15 players created more than him last season.

a lot of those were from corners but hes a good player

only reason he seems to lose the ball so much is because hes trying to play in gabby and weimann who don't exactly make the best runs. put him in a team with better runners and he would instantly look a lot better

• Like 1

There is a reason for that Mantis ;)