Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Yep, defo captain material. A very good passer of the ball, very intelligent. Areas he can work on? I'd like to see a physically stronger Westwood this coming season, one able to dominate a bit more. I'd like to see him try his luck now and then with some long shots.

Edited by Kingfisher

The 2 areas for me for Ash to work on are to track runners back when the midfield lose the ball, and to chip in with a few goals. If he can do that, he is England material.

I think he already tracks but I agree on the goals. In fact towards the end of last season he was just beginning to get into better attacking positions and took a few good shots that showed he has plenty of technique. Now that he's more comfortable in the Premier League and is likely to be in a more comfortable team next season I think he'll have more licence to venture forward so I'm looking forward to more goals from him, but not looking forward to the interest it will attract from other clubs.

I don't think he'll ever be a goalscorer, but that's fine. One of my favourite players in the current squad. Goes unnoticed, but he's been playing very steadily for the vast majority of his time in the starting XI. 

Great to see he's been rewarded for his performances. He genuinely seems like a really nice, down to earth guy as well.

Edited by adz.villa
  • Like 1

Very happy with this news.

Agree with many on here, future villa captain and potentially and England player. 

Again would like to seem him chip in with a few goals but or a few more his defence splitting passes more often. Probably just a confidence thing, now he's had a season at PL level i'm sure he'll kick on! 

Good news on Westwood and good to see somebody is working very hard behind the scenes - Burke, Carruthers, Guzan, Westwood, Weimann, Baker and six new players means we're going great guns on securing the future. Lowton next please and then maybe Gabby, who I think has only two years left.

The 2 areas for me for Ash to work on are to track runners back when the midfield lose the ball, and to chip in with a few goals. If he can do that, he is England material.

I don't mind if he is not scoring provided he can come up with more assists. There was a good one against Norwich but not enough last season. It's all well and good collecting the ball off the defenders far away from opposition pressure and playing the simple pass but if he can add more through balls to the strikers he will be a real star.

Good news on Westwood and good to see somebody is working very hard behind the scenes - Burke, Carruthers, Guzan, Westwood, Weimann, Baker and six new players means we're going great guns on securing the future. Lowton next please and then maybe Gabby, who I think has only two years left.

Clark is sorted just needs announcing now, Lowton is next up.

• Like 1

I don’t really think Westy goes that unnoticed really. If you watch a Villa game for 90 mins, you can see that he is a class player. He reminds me of when Barry got into the team. He has football intelligence and can read the game so well. The fundamentals are there already from just 1 season in the top flight. Just needs to keep working and not to  go Hollywood. From what I have seen him on AVTV and other stuff, I don't think that is going to happen.

So pleased with this. Just got around to watching his interview on the OS and he is just such a cool, down to earth guy. Goes the same for mostly the rest of the squad. And it's nice to see how alot of them talk about how they owe Lambert/Villa for the chance they've been given (Guzan mentioned this in his interview after his extension).