Lambert PL Signings

mcben

Paul Lambert's career highlight as a player was winning the Champions League with Dortmund. Clearly the hiring of his former coach there as our new head scout shows that his affiliation with them still runs deep.

So bearing that in mind, let's consider the Dortmund of today - having paid the price for expensive signings, even having to sell their stadium, a hungry young manager came in with the task of signing similar minded players. Some of those he signed two years ago are now household names or playing elsewhere after high profile transfers.

Nuri Sahin was deemed too slow for the BL but Klopp turned him into a formidable playmaker. Hummels was signed from Bayyern who deemed him not good enough and partnered him at centre half with Subotic. Kagawa, now at Utd, was signed from the Japanese second division. Großkreutz from the German second.

Is Lambert trying to replicate their approach? You'd be foolish to thnk it hasn't crossed his mind.

This article tells the whole story of Dortmund's resurgence. It could almost be a parallel to our own. We hope!

Excellent point. I'm actually quite excited about how these players turn out.

Paul Lambert's career highlight as a player was winning the Champions League with Dortmund. Clearly the hiring of his former coach there as our new head scout shows that his affiliation with them still runs deep.

So bearing that in mind, let's consider the Dortmund of today - having paid the price for expensive signings, even having to sell their stadium, a hungry young manager came in with the task of signing similar minded players. Some of those he signed two years ago are now household names or playing elsewhere after high profile transfers.

Nuri Sahin was deemed too slow for the BL but Klopp turned him into a formidable playmaker. Hummels was signed from Bayyern who deemed him not good enough and partnered him at centre half with Subotic. Kagawa, now at Utd, was signed from the Japanese second division. Großkreutz from the German second.

Is Lambert trying to replicate their approach? You'd be foolish to thnk it hasn't crossed his mind.

This article tells the whole story of Dortmund's resurgence. It could almost be a parallel to our own. We hope!

Watch alot of Dortmund and see alot of inspiration in them for Lambert, there's no doubt he'd be familiar with his former teams resurgence. I think the only significant fee they've paid in Klopp's time was Reus, who now looks a snip at £15m.

Mainz are still reaping the benefits of his stewardship aswell as Thomas Tuchel's good work.

Players who were good steady pro's have took there game to another level under Klopp, the likes of Kehl and Weidenfeller look quality players while the amount of talent he's brought through is staggering. Schmelzer, Subotic, Hummels, Pizczeck, Gotze, Bender, Gundogan, Their entire team were complete unknown's two years ago, now back to back Bundesliga winners and having clubs clamouring to sign them up.

If Lambert could do anything like what Klopp has done they'll we'll all be happy. You only have to look at Norwich to see what Pedigree Lambert has.

Final thing to consider is, the amount of rebuilding we needed, there is no way we could afford to go and buy a couple of players at £10m each, so Lambert has had to cut his cloth accordingly, got in a player he thinks will offer a threat up top, and brought in players he believes in, who can play the way he wants.

im actually very excited now and so pleased the window is closed so all the transfer bollocks and hysteria can stop....

Lowton,KEA and Vlaar have all impressed so far and can/will improve so we know he can spot a player...

Benteke, Westwood and Bowery are still unknown quanitities but there is every possibility they will impress too...

there has been a lot of changes and i predict the next couple of months to be rocky but i reckon by January we will be a much better football team seeing ourselves safely away from relegation...

Lambert is trying to build HIS team, one that matches his hunger, commitment and will to humbleness and he is well on the way to do that....

Lamberts quotes about young players thinking they have "made it" just coz they have played a few prem games were very significant IMO....

I think he has seen an attitude problem possibly in the likes of Bannan and the Fonz and has looked to bring hungrier youngsters in their place....

which brings me on to Westwood who i am very excited about...it was so refreshing to see his interview, he just came across as a kid who just genuinly loves his football, i reckon he could be our new Barry who will be the mainstay of our midfield for a long time...he obviously can play coz Laudrup wanted him!

Benteke really impressed me in his interviews and he seems a lovely guy too who will give us a bit of presence up top...

im willing now to just relax and let Lambert get them playing as a team...

i expect to lose against Newcastle but i wont be panicking...

patience is key

Insight post mate. More of these please everyone.

I am optimistis. I think its wrong to judge them based on a handful of games or where they have come from, we will only see PL's vision starting to bear fruit come the second half of the season at the earliest!

I have to say his signings all point to a clear vision of the type of mental attitude he wants and the type of footballing philosophy their talents will fit into! Spelling it out - A strong desire to prove themselves at the highest level and the ability to fit into a style of play that involves keeping the ball on the deck, passing it around and being adventurous.

So PL has my full support for the next 18 months at the very least!

I don't think anyone on here is not backing PL to the max. What people do, as is their right supporting any club, is give their thoughts and opinions with the going's on.

I am I have to say very underwhelmed with the players signed. My problem isn't the fact that we are picking players up from lower league clubs, it's more the fact that I don't believe we have brought in enough quality, that we appear to have left everything last min, and that the biggest issues with our limitations out wide and in the attacking mid position haven't been addressed.

I'm also gutted that players like; Berbatov - Fulham, Adams-Stoke, Johnson-Sunderland, Ji-Sung-Park - QPR etc, weren't chased by Villa. I believe 2 or 3 of these would have immediately had an instant impact on the teams fortunes and boosted the whole club. None have left their respective clubs for so called bigger clubs or massive fee's which would've allowed a little leeway with wages.

I really hope the player's brought in can hit the ground running but my guess would be that the lads from the lower leagues will take a little time to settle and adjust to Prem football and Benteke will need time to settle in a new country and enviroment. We may not see a big improvement in the teams play for a little while yet. I am however firmly behind Lambert even if the board are wank!!

One thing that comes across quite strongly from Lambert's comments in recent days is that he wants players who are hungry, not greedy.

It must be hard to develop a culture like that with a lot of established players around, because so many established players are greedy, not hungry. With professional football being notoriously hierarchical, with players establishing a pecking order and deferring to the older/better paid/mouthier ones, it makes perfect sense to ship out a lot of the old crew and try to weaken the old culture as quickly as possible. Replacing them with others who have bags of PL experience might be unhelpful in trying to make a culture change, if the replacements had similar attitudes to the ones he was replacing.

There's a lot wrong with football, and one of the biggest things wrong is the poisonous effect of too much money, too high wages, and the celebrity entitlement culture which goers with that. If Lambert is trying to build a club which is a little less tainted with that culture than some others, more power to him.

I think Vlaar is an improvement on Collins. KEA will prove to be an improvement on Petrov. Bennett is likely to be better than Warnock and Lowton has already looked at least as good as Hutton.

The rest of the signings will have to show and prove what they are made out of, and I think they will.

It has been a good but 'risky' window IMO, I'm certainly satisfied by it. Those continually knocking it are nothing more than tedious broken records.

Isn't it refreshing to actually look outside of the Premier League for once? I know there's more risk involved but I think I rather like this new approach. It's not exactly expensive either.

Agreed.

It will be nice to watch these players grow and improve in our side rather than look on with envy at other clubs who unearth gems.

As the new saying goes "In Lambert we trust".

Bring them on.

I'm also gutted that players like; Berbatov - Fulham, Adams-Stoke, Johnson-Sunderland, Ji-Sung-Park - QPR etc, weren't chased by Villa. I believe 2 or 3 of these would have immediately had an instant impact on the teams fortunes and boosted the whole club. None have left their respective clubs for so called bigger clubs or massive fee's which would've allowed a little leeway with wages.

I am happy with the signings, even though I have not heard of any of them, bar Bennett.

The reason is that I have been wrong so many times when I have gotten excited when we bought players.

I was excited when we bought Sidwell.

I was excited when we bought Warnock.

I was excited when we bought Davies.

I was excited when we bought N'Zogbia.

The list goes on and I can see that buying players with Premier League experience really does not matter when they do not fit in the system we play or are not up for it.

I think Lambert has worked hard trying to find players who fit in the role he needs them in. And that is the most important. Even though there are players who are individually better than the players we have signed, I am sure that our new players will do the job better, due to the fact that they will fit into Paul Lambert's style.

I don't think anyone on here is not backing PL to the max. What people do, as is their right supporting any club, is give their thoughts and opinions with the going's on.

I am I have to say very underwhelmed with the players signed. My problem isn't the fact that we are picking players up from lower league clubs, it's more the fact that I don't believe we have brought in enough quality, that we appear to have left everything last min, and that the biggest issues with our limitations out wide and in the attacking mid position haven't been addressed.

I really hope the player's brought in can hit the ground running but my guess would be that the lads from the lower leagues will take a little time to settle and adjust to Prem football and Benteke will need time to settle in a new country and enviroment. We may not see a big improvement in the teams play for a little while yet. I am however firmly behind Lambert even if the board are sail on the mayonnaise sea!!

Some times you have to be cruel to be kind... I think PL Thinks bringing in the likes of Berbatov will not change, what he wants to change....ATTITUDE.

I don't think for one minute these players will hit the ground running and there lies the tricky bit....because I think he will ultimately be seen to have started the change.... It will take time and hopefully we will have it, But I think he is on the right lines.

Someone had to start this some time.

there can be an old saying " less is more"

Someone had to start this some time.

Yes we're a real trend setter.

I can see all clubs with high ambitions raiding league one and two after our successful season.

I think he meant the attitude, mood and mindset in our club/players.

Â