Lambert PL Signings

mcben

Blimey we bought Makoun for more than KEA.... is he better for spending more?

I'm not on about money.

When I say in the mould of Vlaar and KEA I'm talking about experienced, international players, playing at the top level in the county they're currently in.

Maybe I'm completely wrong to underestimate the kids without seeing them play. I just can't help thinking we're expecting too much from them right now and it could be a disaster waiting to happen.

No offense BJ10,

You are addressing important issues, but you do it in such a way that I feel like I'm in the middle of a endless bukkake.

The last sentence TRO is a little disturbing to say the least. You sure your at the right club?! :lol:

not sure what you mean?

Unless there is a total player mutiny, I really hope PL gets a few years to implement his strategy - even if it means we get relegated. It actually (kind of) worked out for Newcastle.
That is crazy talk.

There are plenty of clubs for whom relegation didn't "work out" and it would be a total disaster for Villa to be relegated.

So far then..

Karim El Ahmadi, Ron Vlaar, Matthew Lowton & Brad Guzan have shown their worth and have shown that they can cut it in this league. I know Brad Guzan was already here, left and came back but Lambert still had the final say. So 4 of 8 signings are great. I wonder how the other 4 will do. So far though I couldn't have asked for more from Lambert he took risks but the more I see these signings play the more I think it wasn't much of a risk in his head, he knew they would be good for us..

If the other 4 signings turn into great assets as well then I cannot wait for future windows.

PS. I left Brett Holman out on purpose given he wasn't a Lambert acquisition. The fact he's turning out great as well is just a bonus. We have 9 new players in our squad and so far 5 of them have fit into the Premier League in a great way.

Paul Lambert's career highlight as a player was winning the Champions League with Dortmund. Clearly the hiring of his former coach there as our new head scout shows that his affiliation with them still runs deep.

So bearing that in mind, let's consider the Dortmund of today - having paid the price for expensive signings, even having to sell their stadium, a hungry young manager came in with the task of signing similar minded players. Some of those he signed two years ago are now household names or playing elsewhere after high profile transfers.

Nuri Sahin was deemed too slow for the BL but Klopp turned him into a formidable playmaker. Hummels was signed from Bayyern who deemed him not good enough and partnered him at centre half with Subotic. Kagawa, now at Utd, was signed from the Japanese second division. Großkreutz from the German second.

Is Lambert trying to replicate their approach? You'd be foolish to thnk it hasn't crossed his mind.

This article tells the whole story of Dortmund's resurgence. It could almost be a parallel to our own. We hope!

This got me thinking - where had I seen this before?

Ange Postecoglou in the A-League. I'm sure I mentioned this before. Basically, he took over a team that was mired in medocrity with a lot of overpaid older players who had too much power.

Long story short: They finished that year in last place (no relegation). He got rid of the troublemakers despite their experience/influence/rapport with fans and built a team based on young hungry players.....

... and finished the next season as Premiers, playing a beautiful attacking brand of football and breaking the Australian record for number of consecutive games without defeat.

Sure, the A-League isn't the Premier League. Neither is the Budesliga. Point is, this approach works given time and with the right man in place.

Lambert is that man.

The new boys all did well yesterday integrating well with the rest of the team, more importantly the way we played yesterday and the draw will only boost the confidence up a notch, you could see how PL has been working with them, the passing and movement is getting better and we actually look like we could score. I for 1 am very pleased with the progress shown and although we will take a step back at some point the future looks better.

The new boys all did well yesterday integrating well with the rest of the team, more importantly the way we played yesterday and the draw will only boost the confidence up a notch, you could see how PL has been working with them, the passing and movement is getting better and we actually look like we could score. I for 1 am very pleased with the progress shown and although we will take a step back at some point the future looks better.

Yes, very true.

Hopefully we get at least 4 points (Although I'd love the maximum :) ) from our next two games and that'll put us in a good position.

I think we could get 6 points from the next 2.. Maybe I am underestimating Swansea but I think we will nullify them in midfield making them relatively useless. Southampton may be tricky though as they are buzzing from promotion and after watching them scare Manchester United they could be tricky.

How to deal with Swansea is to take away space and time from them to pass and move the ball. Their defense is probably their achilles' heel so going strong against them would proabbly be a good tactic. I'd start with Bent and Gabby at front, and bring in Benteke in second half. I'd probably do the same with Westwood and bring him in for either Bannan or Delph.

I think we could get 6 points from the next 2.. Maybe I am underestimating Swansea but I think we will nullify them in midfield making them relatively useless. Southampton may be tricky though as they are buzzing from promotion and after watching them scare Manchester United they could be tricky.

I would like to take at least 6 points from the next 3 games. I am worried that we seem to look more comfortable on our travels. I think the weight of expectation and how bad our record at home has become is one of the real issues for the team at the moment. We could do with a really good home performance and win to maybe turn the corner.

Got to ask as i have been away for the last 2 weeks, was it one of either Dempsey/Benteke or did we actually try to sing the 2 of them? I hate not being around when all the stories come out as you lose the gist of what we were trying to do.

Just wondering if i had missed some background news regarding these. If transfers take a week to build up you know there's genuine interest regardless as to who else you were after. As far as i can gather we made 1 out of the blue bid for Dempsey after been messed about by Genk.

Got to ask as i have been away for the last 2 weeks, was it one of either Dempsey/Benteke or did we actually try to sing the 2 of them?

Not sure if we sang to just one of them or both of them but I think Dempsey only wanted to be serenaded by Liverpool.

Paul Lambert's career highlight as a player was winning the Champions League with Dortmund. Clearly the hiring of his former coach there as our new head scout shows that his affiliation with them still runs deep.

So bearing that in mind, let's consider the Dortmund of today - having paid the price for expensive signings, even having to sell their stadium, a hungry young manager came in with the task of signing similar minded players. Some of those he signed two years ago are now household names or playing elsewhere after high profile transfers.

Nuri Sahin was deemed too slow for the BL but Klopp turned him into a formidable playmaker. Hummels was signed from Bayyern who deemed him not good enough and partnered him at centre half with Subotic. Kagawa, now at Utd, was signed from the Japanese second division. Großkreutz from the German second.

Is Lambert trying to replicate their approach? You'd be foolish to thnk it hasn't crossed his mind.

This article tells the whole story of Dortmund's resurgence. It could almost be a parallel to our own. We hope!

This got me thinking - where had I seen this before?

Ange Postecoglou in the A-League. I'm sure I mentioned this before. Basically, he took over a team that was mired in medocrity with a lot of overpaid older players who had too much power.

Long story short: They finished that year in last place (no relegation). He got rid of the troublemakers despite their experience/influence/rapport with fans and built a team based on young hungry players.....

... and finished the next season as Premiers, playing a beautiful attacking brand of football and breaking the Australian record for number of consecutive games without defeat.

Sure, the A-League isn't the Premier League. Neither is the Budesliga. Point is, this approach works given time and with the right man in place.

Lambert is that man.

It Doesn't matter what the league is or the era.....its the principle that matters.

and yes your right Lambert is the man.

Only time will tell John, i don't have a monopoly over you on the future.

but I just have a hunch, this guy is right.

We'll see how this season pans out. I'm sure i'll have a moan after games and I'm sure people will tell me I was wrong to be negative after others.

I know I certainly hope you're right on this one.

Absolutely convinced.

No disrespect to anyone, but you can either see it or you can't.

I could look at the Mona Lisa and wonder what all the fuss is about,cos I don't know what to look for.

Watching a game and understanding it is different to "getting off" on a result and commenting on what a great game it was.

performances & results are different.... but its great when you can get both, like Man U have done over a period of time....and the teams that can get both are usually on their way to things.

Results without performances are usually short lived and results become unsustainable.

Paul Lambert, looks like he knows what its all about and in time will get us what we have been looking for.

On another note,Some of these high costing "jam today" players don't last the course, show little or dubious loyalty and usually have no sell on Value.... its firework money.

Glad, some bloke has seen the light and dumped it.

Hail Paul Lambert.

Ps The performance against Newcastle was very encouraging, The result was too.

I don't think Lambert has 'seen the light' or would even consider himself as having any distinct formula. He won't limit himself with any clichéd notions like 'jam today players'. Football is quite simple, buy the best players you can with the money you have. That's what Lambert will do, and I think he will do it well.

I don't think Lambert has 'seen the light' or would even consider himself as having any distinct formula. He won't limit himself with any clichéd notions like 'jam today players'. Football is quite simple, buy the best players you can with the money you have. That's what Lambert will do, and I think he will do it well.

Baz, You know what I'm talking about.

We havn't got the Money to buy the likes of Berbatov for 35 mill and get average value from it, perhaps Man U can

Our ex top players like Milner, Young & Downing that we only managed 6 th with are not exactly pulling trees up at their respective clubs, despite going for c 57 mill hardly value for money at their new clubs are they?

Â