Lambert PL Signings

mcben

In much the same way, that Saunders did it, with unknown players like Morley, swain, Evans,bremner, etc....I think PL will emulate that.

It is impossible to be excited now( thats to come), because we have no idea of how these players will turn out, we just have to put our faith in the manager... and it will not come good in 5 minutes.

The interesting bit will be the rate of progress and watching them maturing in to Premier League players, just the same as seeing Morley go from a £200,000 burnley player to an England International ( when it was hard to get an England place).

Watching these players grow, will be like watching Andy Gray grow and as each game goes by they hopefully will get better.

We have not had a very good record of buying ready made stars mainly because unless its a meal ticket they don't want to come.

Our record has clearly been to mould our own stars and let them build to gether that seems the only way we seem to hold on to them too, it builds loyalty and they gain success together, despite the sound bites, I don't believe team spirit has been there for years... yes they say there is, but not the same spirit as when you grow together lads all a similar age.

I sense a new dawn

It will take some time and there will be setbacks but I think this manager is on the right lines and knows what he is doing.... He just needs that essential ingredient with him " a bit of luck"

In much the same way, that Saunders did it, with unknown players like Morley, swain, Evans,bremner, etc....I think PL will emulate that.

It is impossible to be excited, because we have no idea of how these players will turn out, we just have to put our faith in the manager... and it will not come good in 5 minutes.

The interesting bit will be the rate of progress and watching thenm maturing in to Premier League players, just the same as seeing Morley go from a £200,000 burnley player to an England International ( when it was hard to get an England place).

Watching these players grow, will be like watching Andy Gray grow and as each game goes by they hopefully will get better.

We have not had a very good record of buying ready made stars mainly because unless its a meal ticket they don't want to come.

Our record has clearly been to mould our own stars and let them build to gether that seems the only way we seem to hold on to them too, it builds loyalty and they gain success together, despite the sound bites, I don't believe team spirit has been there for years... yes they say there is, but not the same spirit as when you grow together lads all a similar age.

I sense a new dawn

It will take some time and there will be setbacks but I think this manager is on the right lines and knows what he is doing.... He just needs that essential ingredient with him " a bit of luck"

I sense a sunset. I don't see how you can even begin to compare the Saunders years to todays game. It was quite common in the 60's - 80's for managers to find British player as the likes of Tony Morley in the lower leagues. But now any club that relies on the lower leagues to find the next Morley is on a hiding to nothing.

Apart from sensing a sunset, I also sense a massive amount of wishful thinking.

It is impossible to be excited, because we have no idea of how these players will turn out, we just have to put our faith in the manager... and it will not come good in 5 minutes.

The interesting bit will be the rate of progress and watching thenm maturing in to Premier League players, just the same as seeing Morley go from a £200,000 burnley player to an England International ( when it was hard to get an England place).

I sense a new dawn

I sense a sunset. I don't see how you can even begin to compare the Saunders years to todays game. It was quite common in the 60's - 80's for managers to find British player as the likes of Tony Morley in the lower leagues. But now any club that relies on the lower leagues to find the next Morley is on a hiding to nothing.

I'm more of a midday man myself. I think Lambert has put together a squad that will be able to hold its own in mid table.

But I hope TRO is right and we can do better.

I sense a new dawn

I'm more of a midday man myself. I think Lambert has put together a squad that will be able to hold its own in mid table.

I admire and applaud your optimism but why do you think we can hold our own in "mid table"?

Most people admit that they know little or nothing about the players we have signed yet many talk about them as if we have made some kind of breakthrough.

I sense a new dawn

I admire and applaud your optimism but why do you think we can hold our own in "mid table"?Most people admit that they know little or nothing about the players we have signed yet many talk about them as if we have made some kind of breakthrough.

Well, speaking for myself, it is beause I beleive the Manager knows what he is doing.

I think most would agree that if all these signings turn out to be Premiership standard we'd be shocked - so there is an element of a gamble in there. More so than a Premiership/Top League player to us transfer. I'm very concerned that these aren't players for 'now' anyway and that's what we actually needed.

Not that I agree with it, or even like it, but we have to face up to the fact that football has changed since the days of Saunders! Teams will never ever be successful again until their is major investment. Ok, you will get the occasional plucky team over performing for a year or the occasional diamond in the rough in a lower division being snapped up but even the Manchester United's of this world can no longer wait for youth to gain experience to feature in their team. They buy the best of everyone else's youth (and some of the prices for 17 year olds is ridiculous) and supplement it with massive moves for other players. Their younger players are sent off to lower teams and 'tested' there - see Kyle Walker.

What concerns me is we have now fallen to such a degree, in this finance driven game we all love, that we have to scrape around in League 1 for possible diamonds. Not saying they won't work out but I doubt there is many a fan out there who wouldn't have liked any one of Adam, Benayoun, Carroll, Berbatov, Jarvis or Johnson? All purchased by what used to be smaller teams than ourselves. And all of which would have (more likely) improved a current team immediately.

I know people are looking for the positivity and citing things like team spirit and desire to wear the Claret and Blue shirt, but let's be honest - good players don't give a crap and will play well if surrounded by other good players and earning the money they want. If it was all about team spirit and dying for the cause then we might as well choose 11 mates out the Holte End. I don't agree with it but to survive in this League you need investment in proven quality and that costs money and wages.

We haven't done this, we've taken a gamble that I really hope pays off. I'm not having a go at any of them - but it has to be recognised as a gamble and, as such, a gamble with our Premier League existence. Whether that is Lerner or Lambert's gamble I don't care - it's Aston Villa's future I care about.

Do I agree with money being the be all and end all? No - no-one likes it but it's the way it is until something (and certainly not FFP) changes it. That will just mean the current rich clubs stay rich as they can buy the better players forever.

I have no issues with Lambert, I have few with Lerner but to be 'happy' with the transfers is asking a lot. I'll just say I want to be 'hopeful' for now.

I sense a new dawn

Mike, The game has changed so much since the Saunders days and yet so much still remains the same. They were using that Arguement when Saunders was going about his business and Bobby Robson was building his ipswich and Shankly/Paisley were attracting all the best players at Liverpool and the biggest team in the world ( Man U ) were floundering by their standards. They said that to Mourinho when he built Porto on shillings to win the euro cup in the shadow of big spending/ top attracting Madrid & Barcelona.

They were all bitching about the Villa signing all the best players in the 30's, we were probably the first super club.

this scenario has been going on since football began and it will never change.... but by and large the Managers with the best transfer market skills have a better chance of winning.... so the ones with less money have to use more Nous & prudency.

In the same way a pint of beer is c £3 a pint I remember it being 11p a pint....the realtionship to wages is probably much the same.

The main difference today is the sums of money have changed but the principles have much remained the same except the sums have attracted ( middle men) agents.

I sense a new dawn

I admire and applaud your optimism but why do you think we can hold our own in "mid table"?Most people admit that they know little or nothing about the players we have signed yet many talk about them as if we have made some kind of breakthrough.

Well, speaking for myself, it is beause I beleive the Manager knows what he is doing.

me too.

I think most would agree that if all these signings turn out to be Premiership standard we'd be shocked - so there is an element of a gamble in there. More so than a Premiership/Top League player to us transfer. I'm very concerned that these aren't players for 'now' anyway and that's what we actually needed.

Not that I agree with it, or even like it, but we have to face up to the fact that football has changed since the days of Saunders! Teams will never ever be successful again until their is major investment. Ok, you will get the occasional plucky team over performing for a year or the occasional diamond in the rough in a lower division being snapped up but even the Manchester United's of this world can no longer wait for youth to gain experience to feature in their team. They buy the best of everyone else's youth (and some of the prices for 17 year olds is ridiculous) and supplement it with massive moves for other players. Their younger players are sent off to lower teams and 'tested' there - see Kyle Walker.

What concerns me is we have now fallen to such a degree, in this finance driven game we all love, that we have to scrape around in League 1 for possible diamonds. Not saying they won't work out but I doubt there is many a fan out there who wouldn't have liked any one of Adam, Benayoun, Carroll, Berbatov, Jarvis or Johnson? All purchased by what used to be smaller teams than ourselves. And all of which would have (more likely) improved a current team immediately.

I know people are looking for the positivity and citing things like team spirit and desire to wear the Claret and Blue shirt, but let's be honest - good players don't give a crap and will play well if surrounded by other good players and earning the money they want. If it was all about team spirit and dying for the cause then we might as well choose 11 mates out the Holte End. I don't agree with it but to survive in this League you need investment in proven quality and that costs money and wages.

We haven't done this, we've taken a gamble that I really hope pays off. I'm not having a go at any of them - but it has to be recognised as a gamble and, as such, a gamble with our Premier League existence. Whether that is Lerner or Lambert's gamble I don't care - it's Aston Villa's future I care about.

Do I agree with money being the be all and end all? No - no-one likes it but it's the way it is until something (and certainly not FFP) changes it. That will just mean the current rich clubs stay rich as they can buy the better players forever.

I have no issues with Lambert, I have few with Lerner but to be 'happy' with the transfers is asking a lot. I'll just say I want to be 'hopeful' for now.

Jack, as you can tell from my posts I only partially agree.

I cannot argue money fast tracks to success and lowers the odds of failure...however it guarantee's nothing.

I think there is too much play on money I think we have spent a fair bit and got poor return in recent seasons.... mainly because the skill factor applied to the transfers has been mediocre.

We have a poor record with big money buys ( by our own standards) so I think its worth a punt.

as the saying goes " Fortune favours the brave"

Well we are being brave! Exciting and terrifying! I cant make my mind up whether I am optimistic or pessimistic. Newcastle will help me decide! :)

If you are talking Newcastle tomorrow, then prepare for disappointment. We are at least 12 months behind where they are.

If you are talking Newcastle later in the season, then that may be a better guide.

I had been thinking this was a big gamble but just realised it isn't at all...

If we stay up; have a decent finish; perhaps even Europe at a stretch than well done Lambert you bought in player with excellent potential.

If (IF) we get relegated (and I really don't think we will be): well we have a team of decent players; on championship wages, who are unlikely to jump ship, and even if they do we'll at least get are money back on 'um!

I like it - better than spending a shit load on players like Habib Baye who I would happily have paid to leave the club a month after he came.

The other thing to remember is that we have Gabby, Albrighton and Dunne back soon. Gabby I think will make a difference and the other two are experienced at the very least.

Well we are being brave! Exciting and terrifying! I cant make my mind up whether I am optimistic or pessimistic. Newcastle will help me decide! :)
I think that's the most exciting part about it, we were sooooooo boring last season and we all knew what was going to happen every game but now we don't.

We assume we will struggle for the first part of the season as we are weak and new players need to get used to a new club and new league.....but if they gel and PL works his magic then who knows after that.....of course it could fall in a heap and we get relegated easily but at least I'm excited about the Villa this season and I have to put my faith in that PL knows what he's doing

I admire and applaud your optimism but why do you think we can hold our own in "mid table"?

Most people admit that they know little or nothing about the players we have signed yet many talk about them as if we have made some kind of breakthrough.

Hardly think I was expressing much optimism and I don't think we've made a breakthrough. I confess I've barely heard of any of the players we have signed.

I think we can hold our own in mid table because that's what Lambert managed with Norwich. Surely he won't do worse at the Villa?

I think the crowd with take to this recruitment campaign in a way they havn't with the prima donna's

I think you will see a synergy between the crowd and these youngs lads that hasn't been seen in years.

I might be wrong, but I sense something different is happening.

I think the crowd with take to this recruitment campaign in a way they havn't with the prima donna's

I think you will see a synergy between the crowd and these youngs lads that hasn't been seen in years.

I might be wrong, but I sense something different is happening.

I think even under McLeish, near the end of the season when the kids were playing. There was support for them then, just a frustration and anger that there was no direction for them.

So I agree with you, I think there will be support and an energy from the crowd.

I remain unconvinced with these signings at the moment. We still look a very young team and buying players from lower leagues and from dodgy foreign leagues (Dutch/Belgium) where the quality is unquestionably lesser than the Premier League is concerning. I'm not saying it can't work but I think it's very risky.

I'd have liked a few older heads in their personally.

I think it's critical for fans to get behind this team and not jump all over them if they have a shitty first half performance, or just a crap game altogether.

They're young, they'll have nerves, and they will need the patience from supporters when things go wrong, which they undoubtedly will.

Â