Joe Bennett

Si.

There's a reason why at the moment a cb playing out of position is preferred to bennet.

Well Big John have you ever saw Bennett defend a corner with his head, actually have you ever saw Bennett head the ball.  No coincidence Baker being in the team and Villa actually starting to be able to defend set pieces.

He headed away a fair few attacks a few weeks ago. Can't remember who we played against, but that game he was one of our best players. Could've been arsenal away or wham at home. And yesterday he more than made up for his misstake in the buid up to our second goal. And he can also share the blame for the first goal with Bannan, Westwood and Vlaar.

He has been shocking in every game he played in.   

No he hasnt

Yes he has

He wasn't even shocking on Saturday. He made a bad pass that led to a goal, there were plenty of other mistakes by other players in that goal too. He then went on to play well and his contribution to Andi's goal was excellent.

It seems when a player starts badly they get judged very quickly and labelled a joke or shit. This label becomes a regular joke on forums & pubs and the players overall performance is ignored & anything poor is magnified. Its ridiculous to say he has been shocking in every game.

He has been shocking in every game he played in.   

No he hasnt

Yes he has

He wasn't even shocking on Saturday. He made a bad pass that led to a goal, there were plenty of other mistakes by other players in that goal too. He then went on to play well and his contribution to Andi's goal was excellent.

It seems when a player starts badly they get judged very quickly and labelled a joke or shit. This label becomes a regular joke on forums & pubs and the players overall performance is ignored & anything poor is magnified. Its ridiculous to say he has been shocking in every game.

Well said Houlston. I'm not JB's biggest fan by any means, but I think he went on to have a 'decent' game after coming on and instantly costing us a goal. That can happen to any player not getting instantly into the pace of the match. And did you see Joe's head go down when Jenas finally did score? That mistake could have crippled him mentally for the rest of the game - but to be fair to him, he dug in and contributed excellently for Weiman's goal.

A real mixed bag from the conundrum that is Joe Bennett. Stick with it son.

Just noticed also that he provided the cross for Weimann to have a free header that went straight to Cesar.

There's definitely a player in there - he just needs to grab the bull by the balls a bit. He plays a bit scared at the moment.

Certainly a confidence player. Had a much better second half against QPR. Assisted Weimann for his goal and made a crucial interception. He needs to be given time. He has some ability in him. Credit to him for turning it around after an error. 

• 2 weeks later...

He needs to stop running down the wing every single attack we get, because it makes it difficult to defend the oppositions counter attacks. I like how he's good at taking on a player and whipping in crosses, but I think he needs to learn when to hold back and anticipate the counter attacks. 

Thought Bennett was pretty poor at defending today, but he sends over a good cross into the penalty box.

Pity he gets played as a defender really.  :bang:

Disagree. On numerous occasions Bennett was putting his body on the line to block crosses, and he was quite successful. Also, great cross in to Benteke today

Yesterday*

For all the stick this lad gets I think he's starting to grow in confidence and has played well in the past couple of games. Thought he was pretty solid today. Though, is obviously better at going forward than defending. 

I definently feel like he has gotten better this season, so I am excited to see how he will perform next season. But I reckon he should be the second choice, not the first. Either way, he is getting better so I can`t complain. Long may it continue.

Â