Joe Bennett

Si.

Had a good game against Citeh and carried that on yesterday with a decent sub appearance - he's looking a lot more composed and focused of late.

I don't think he had a good game against city.. He was improved, but still not good.. He got turned inside out by Milner and Zabaleta (see when Zabaleta hit the post)... He needlessly ran the ball out to touch ( one time even doing a cryff turn straight out). Yes he put in a couple of good crosses, but he is still a major concern when defending.

The worrying thing about Bennett is I think of him as a 'kid' but he's 23 this month. I just don't think he is going to develop physically enough to be a top-flight defender.

I think he either needs to bulk up (a summer in the gym and supplements etc) or try to make it as a left winger/left midfielder.

Certainly, there are teams who can get away with very slight full-backs but they tend to be very attacking teams who dominate play e.g. Brazil. Teams fighting at the bottom of the premier league can't afford full-backs like this, any manager with a brain will just tell their striker(s) to pull onto him for crosses and long balls e.g. goal kicks and he becomes a liability.

it can definitely be done - look at the changes gabby has made to his physique over the years. Bennett just needs to go on whatever training program Gabby used

Bennett will never make it. Hope we cut our losses in the summer and move him on.

Did you say same about Petrov after 1st season? hasnt been great but takes players time to settle sometimes

Bennett will never make it. Hope we cut our losses in the summer and move him on.

Did you say same about Petrov after 1st season? hasnt been great but takes players time to settle sometimes

No, largely because Petrov wasn't so obviously out of his depth. He showed good form at times but was struggling to get consistency. That's nothing like the issues with Bennett who simply can't hack it at premier league level. If things were done right for next season (and I suspect they won't be) then there would be a major rebuild of the defence, which has been absolutely woeful. Would you seriously plan to have Bennett as part of that rebuild?

No, largely because Petrov wasn't so obviously out of his depth. He showed good form at times but was struggling to get consistency. That's nothing like the issues with Bennett who simply can't hack it at premier league level. If things were done right for next season (and I suspect they won't be) then there would be a major rebuild of the defence, which has been absolutely woeful. Would you seriously plan to have Bennett as part of that rebuild?

aren't full backs traditionally quite late bloomers, usually learning the hard way? look at walker at spurs right now, their fans never seem to shut up about how shit he is

Evra was awful when he joined United, even been tore apart by an over the hill Trevor Sinclair. Bouma was hardly brilliant at start either.

Hell Gareth Bale was dreadful when he joined Spurs that they nearly shipped him to Forest until and injury crisis

I knew at some point someone would compare Bennett to Bale. The problem with the analogy is that Bale is only 10 months older. I suppose the one comparison I could make is who told them they were full backs? I do think players decide their 'position' far too early in their careers, most of them don't change and will only do so if they're forced.

Bennett has put in a few decent crosses and has actually made a few mazy dribbles that have created goal-scoring opportunities.

Thinking about it, he's probably created more than Bannan..... but I'd hate to see Bennett's heat-map!

I'm 50/50 on Bennett at the moment. I think he could turn into a decent fullback. But he hasn't shown anywhere near as much potential as Lowton.

I think there is something there.  With a full pre-season getting fitter and hopefully someone playing ahead of him on the left who he can overlap and also give him some more protection he could make it.  Given the circumstances I'm not surprised he has struggled in his first season in the big time, he may well turn out to be not good enough but it's still very early.

I think there is something there.  With a full pre-season getting fitter and hopefully someone playing ahead of him on the left who he can overlap and also give him some more protection he could make it.  Given the circumstances I'm not surprised he has struggled in his first season in the big time, he may well turn out to be not good enough but it's still very early.

Oh he definitely deserves more than one season, I would say tthe same about about anyone. Very early though, he's 23 this month, the vast majority of his development is complete. Hopefully, we stay up and I'd like to see him go out on loan for some experience. Confidence can transform a player and  that's probably what he needs more than anything.

I do think players decide their 'position' far too early in their careers, most of them don't change and will only do so if they're forced.

interesting point this.

i think for kids to play a position they do in their youth teams might not always be best for them a they grow up, some kids will stop growing in their teens and stay short through their adulthood, or some may become hench and arent flexible enough to play the position they used to

imo, bennett would be better suited to left wing for a season, like clark would be better suited to left back

I'm pretty sure Bennett will get more than one season due to a combination of Lerner's stubbornness/apparent inability to recognise good defenders/lack of cash from RL.

What we have to worry about is if some of those seasons happen in a lower leagiue

I'm pretty sure Bennett will get more than one season due to a combination of Lerner's stubbornness/apparent inability to recognise good defenders/lack of cash from RL.

What we have to worry about is if some of those seasons happen in a lower leagiue

Change Lerner to Lambert mate.

Change Lerner to Lambert mate.

Not really - considering Bennett was 3rd choice, who do you blame. Lambert can only work with the money he is given.

Â