The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Lot of pundits / managers thought 37 would be enough to stay up this season

Our goal difference means we probably need 38

I only see Wigan beating Swansea (and then us ) from their fixtures .. that gives them 37 ... so maybe a draw with Sunderland and a win at Norwich will be enough ?

Wigan can be very hit and miss but clearly they have been way more miss than hit which is why they find themselves 18th. They have had an FA Cup run which it seems has been a distraction for them and they haven't had the pick-up in results in the league they have had in previous seasons. I am hopeful Spurs can put 2 or 3 past them on Saturday and if we can pick up a result against Sunderland then that could well turn round the goal difference advantage that Wigan have over us as well as put us 6 points clear of them which would be massive at this stage of the season.

Bottom line in all this is that with Wigan still to play it is still very much in our hands and I believe we will stay up.

• Like 1

~_~ .. I wrote a long post then somehow I messed it up ..

Anyways .. I saved some of it ..

I said Southampton Vs West Brom Wouldn't matter a lot .. But checking the fixtures .. I think we must support the Baggies as our second team !! Massive games ! Strangely but we really need them to up their game quickly !

If West Brom wins against Southampton .. The saints have Spurs after that .. which isn't an easy fixture at all ! If they managed to lose that too .. and we win next 2 .. we could be suddenly above them .. 

Well I'm not just saying being above them to just get a higher place .. but even if we drew one and stepped to 38 .. The threat of relegation will be with them until then ..

After that they have a clash with Sunderland .. Who will play that game with a points of 37 or 40 or between "Assuming we beat them" .. The Saints will be 39 ..

One will have to win .. or draw .. So only one of them would catch 40 points ! 

Strangely .. Albion will be playing Norwich too here !!

While Newcatle plays QPR .. with an assumption of their winning ..

And Stoke has Spurs .. While Wigan has Arsenal ..

While us having Chelsea ..

So maybe at that time more than 6 teams may have the threat of the relegation ! 

I think it's really important that the Saints be in the battle because they have a real important game which I think they need to up their game in it !

You seriously don't see why ?

We need 2 wins from 4 games - Stoke and Sunderland need 1 win from 4 games -

If you think stoke and sunderland will go down - a trip to the bookies may be in order - you can get up to 28-1 for stoke\sunderland to be relegated - think villa are 13/8

Might have a go at that!

The last round games :

Man City Vs Norwich ..

Newcastle Vs Arsenal ..

Southampton Vs Stoke .. *

Spurs Vs Sunderland ..

Wigan Vs Aston Villa .. *

* = that it could be a 6 pointer matches !

So as we're seeing .. It's not only us who are fearing to enter the last game while we aren't safe .. almost everybody have a hard game .. or a game with rivals !

And if the Saints somehow lost their next 2 games .. They'll have to be up for their games with Sunderland and Stoke ! Which could only be good for us ! 

But we really need to win our next two or atleast win and a draw ! 

You seriously don't see why ?

We need 2 wins from 4 games - Stoke and Sunderland need 1 win from 4 games -

If you think stoke and sunderland will go down - a trip to the bookies may be in order - you can get up to 28-1 for stoke\sunderland to be relegated - think villa are 13/8

Might have a go at that!

The Blues were 38 points at 33 round or 34 .. Yet they've ended their season with 39 and dropped 2 years ago !

If we managed to win Sunderland game and matched their points .. I think there is a good chance we could pull 5 or even 6 teams to the race again ! 

But could we win the game ?! That's another question ! 

After checking the fixtures I think I'm more comfortable .. But the fear is still there !!

If we beat Sunderland the relegation battle opens right up again. This was always going to be a bad weekend for us, the next two give us a great chance to make up for it. 

The last 4 must wins games we've had we have put in big performances and I expect no different this time. 

Win against Sunderland we will survive, lose and we are down, it is as simple as that IMO.

It's not though is it? Realistically we could still be 3 points clear after this weekend even if we lose. The WORST case scenario is that we have to beat Wigan on the final day to stay up and everyone and their dog is praying it doesn't come to that.

Nope worst case is that Wigan win next 4 games and we lose next 3 rendering final game worthless as we would already be down

We are seventeenth and fighting relegation. We have been in this position for most of the season and if we don't get a result against Sunderland are in dire trouble. There has been little or no progression on the league table so if you view that as progress then good luck.

haha - I'm not surprised that you deliberatley miss the point but which of the statistics above do you disagree with?

We are clearly progressing but it doesnt suit your argument to admit that

Of course we are in trouble, no one is disputing that but the progress is also clear to see - I just hope (and expect) that we can maintain our from for the last four games of the season and if so our run of form bodes well for next year

McLvPL2_zps74ce280e.jpg

The statistic i base my point of view on is where we have been and currently are in the league. Is it so hard for you to understand?

Same old, same old Morpheus - when the facts don't fit make something up. We are in a shit position in the league but we are progressing. Last season we were in a shit position and getting worse.

The trouble with this is the trend doesn't really mean anything. Yes it does it means something, it means that slowly and gradually we are getting better. You were putting a similar chart up just before our horrendous run over Christmas to demonstrate the "progress" being made and then look what happened. As I clearly said we were making good progress during the first half of the season and that was ruined by a terrible Christmas period. Since then we have steadily improved our performances and points return. We were apparently clearly progressing at that point and then proceeded to go on one of the most atrocious runs I have ever witnessed, something that your charts didn't suggest was about to occur. I don't know if you know much about statisiics (serious question) but a positive trend in the past does not guarantee a similar trend in the future. All I am pointing out is that under McL we were getting gradually worse and under Lambert we are getting gradually better. I am desperate for us to stay up and really hope Lambert's tenure and his so-called "project" turn out to be the revolutionary approach that leads us back up the table in a sustainable fashion, but I worry that even if we do avoid the drop, without significant investment, next season will be very similar to the current one. I agree that we need investment next season to further progress A trend I would like to see is the points return compared to level of investment, going back a number of seasons - I think this may be more indicative of the progress we are making, or not. In my opinion, as a club we are not making progress in the longer term - quite the opposite. My hope is that we survive this year and we can strengthen and be a little more comfortable next season. I think the days of us ever being more than a mid-table side are a long long way off

This time last season we were definitely under a downward spiral & never looked like winning another match. At least this time around we can take heart & encouragement in the fact that Lambert will take the fight to the opposition & will try to win matches.

Staying up is all about winning matches & we have proved in recent weeks that we are more than capable of doing this.

Keep The Faith!

At the moment this is a straight dog fight between ourselves and Wigan.

The Teams we have left are:

Sunderland H - 4 wins 4 draws 9 lost away from home this year 16pts/51pts, current form - LDLLWW 7pts/18pts

Norwich a - 7 wins 7 draws 3 lost at home this year 28pts/51pts, current form - DDLDLW 6pts/18pts

Chelsea H - 8 wins 4 draws 5 lost away this year 28pts/51pts, current form - WWLWWD 13pts/18pts

Wigan a - 4 wins 4 draws 8 lost at home 16pts/48pts, current form - LWWDLL 7pts/18pts

Teams Wigan have left are:

Spurs H - 9 wins 2 draws 5 lost 29pts/48pts, current form - WLLWDW 10pts/18pts

West Brom a - 9 wins 3 draws 5 lost 30pts/51pts, current form - LWDLLD 5pts/18pts

Swansea H - 4 wins 5 draws 7 lost 17pts/48pts, current form - WLLLDD 5pts/18pts

Arsenal a - 10 wins 4 draws 3 lost 34pts/51pts, current form - WWWWDW 16pts/18pts

Villa H - 4 wins 5 draws 8 lost 17pts/51pts, current form - WWLWDL 10pts/18pts

The teams West Brom have dropped points to at home

20-Oct WBA 1 - 2 Man City

01-Dec WBA 0 - 1 Stoke

16-Dec WBA 0 - 0 West Ham

01-Jan WBA 1 - 2 Fulham

19-Jan WBA 2 - 2 AVFC

03-Feb WBA 0 - 1 Spurs

06-Apr WBA 1 - 2 Arsenal

20-Apr WBA 1 - 1 Newcastle

The teams Wigan have beaten away from home

25-Aug Southampton 0 - 2 Wigan

03-Nov Tottenham 0 - 1 Wigan

29-Dec Villa 0 -3 Wigan

23-Feb Reading 0 - 3 Wigan

Since that Spurs game Wigan have played 12 away games going 2W (Reading & Us) 3D ( QPR, Stoke & Fulham) 7L (Liverpool, Newcastle, Norwich, Everton, Chelsea, Man City & West Ham) 

Edited by Folski

They don't concede alot at home which for a low scoring team like Wigan is a positive sign for us.

Liverpool beating Newcastle and us beating Sunderland would drag them back into it , IMO the more teams down their the better our chances 

I also think Stoke are still in trouble but have the easiest run in.

While it is possible that others can still be dragged into it, we should see this as an exercise in keeping Wigan behind us. If that happens, we're safe. If someone else ends up behind us too then all the better. But Wigan is our focus. COYS.

While it is possible that others can still be dragged into it, we should see this as an exercise in keeping Wigan behind us. If that happens, we're safe. If someone else ends up behind us too then all the better. But Wigan is our focus. COYS.

Couldn't agree more - and despite me watching all teams around us like a hawk, its Wigan we need to stay ahead of I feel.