• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Huge week for us really.

Norwich (a) to Arsenal.

Stoke (h) to Man Utd.

Sunderland (a) to Newcastle.

Wigan (a) to Man City.

Hard to see any of those teams getting more than a point, 3 points could have us sitting in 14th Saturday evening.

If we can get a result against Fulham then I think we will be ok, cause that will show the lads ( and the supporters ) that we can win games against teams above the relegation zone.

Sunderland worry me cause I think that Di Canio might be able to get them fired up.

I think we'll need the full 40pts this season. Everyone around us is picking up points and of the ones who are struggling, I would expect Stoke and Sunderland to do something between now and the end of the season. Form is temporary and they'll break out of it sooner or later. We've won 3 in 4 and yet we're still only 2pts off the drop. If we can beat Fulham then I'll begin to breathe more easily but that game is far from a sure thing. They're playing very well and we're crap at home. But given next week's fixtures, if we did beat them then I think we'd find ourselves quite far from the relegation zone with our rivals having mostly tripped up.

2) "Everyone around us is picking up points" - No they're not. Stoke have picked up 1 from the last 15, Stoke 2 from the last 15 and Norwich 3 from the last 15. They're all dropping like stones

You can't chop a sentence in half when the second half of it is extremely relevant to where I was coming from. The teams that have been down there all along are now picking up points. The teams that are getting sucked into it will not continue to lose all of their games. It is likely that they'll begin to start picking up points again.

We are 2pts off the drop with 6 games to go and you think 2 more points will see us safe. Absolutely mental.

• Like 1

I think it all depends on Saturdays result of whether we go down or not.

You could have said the same for 3 of the last 4 games. This battling relegation malarky is utterly relentless.

Yikes. Was feeling optimistic about survival, until I did the BBC predictor. If other teams around us can string a few results together and pick out draws instead of losses, we need to be winning at least two as well as getting some draws to avoid going into the last day with relegation still a possibility.

However, given our current form and the teams we have yet to play, I still think we'll do it. You've got to think we'll get some wins from Fulham, Sunderland, and Norwich. And we can't necessarily write off United and Chelsea as losses just yet.

I've noticed a huge amount of good will toward this team as opposed to last year when much of the media and other team's fans wanted to see the back of us because we were undoubtedly a wretched side that you couldn't watch if you didn't support.

Gary Neville was talking about us last night in terms of the youth in the squad and how this relegation battle is really bringing the players on and giving them invaluable experience. He also said about the Next Gen Champions and the other youth teams and then said - that's why I really want them to stay up.

The Guardian also said yesterday about how big a loss to the league it would be if we were relegated. They said if we beat the drop we're likely to be lighting up the division more frequently next season.

Huge week for us really.

Norwich (a) to Arsenal.

Stoke (h) to Man Utd.

Sunderland (a) to Newcastle.

Wigan (a) to Man City.

Hard to see any of those teams getting more than a point, 3 points could have us sitting in 14th Saturday evening.

We will need the cushion as the week after its Utd away then a real banana skin vs Sunderland .

Still have a horrible gut feel its going to the wire

Strange, this knife edge inconsistency is killing me: part of me thinks we could possibly not lose again this season, and 7 points should be easy, while part of me looks at the fixtures and thinks 'Christ, we might easily not win again and end up in a lif or death game with Wigan' which I don't think we'd win.

Agree 7 points would likely see us safe and it could happen in he next three games if we continue our form - if only Man U had won lat night......

38 points will be chancing it, can certainly see one of wigan or sunderland hitting 38 points which with our gd will be the issue. 39 points should be enough

38 points will be chancing it, can certainly see one of wigan or sunderland hitting 38 points which with our gd will be the issue. 39 points should be enough

I actually think our GD will be better than Wigans by the end of the season. Ofc, if that is the case, we will not have to worry about GD at all.

Am I the only one secretly enjoying being in a relegation battle?

I mean, I don't want us relegated but its nice having something to play for...

No, just me?

Didn't enjoy it last season. It's the players and the way they are playing that makes us worth watching.

This season, we have a team that has started to score goals.

Benteke, Agbonlahor, Weimann are an epic trio.

Which defence can stop the power, the pace, and the guile?

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

I've noticed a huge amount of good will toward this team as opposed to last year when much of the media and other team's fans wanted to see the back of us because we were undoubtedly a wretched side that you couldn't watch if you didn't support.

Gary Neville was talking about us last night in terms of the youth in the squad and how this relegation battle is really bringing the players on and giving them invaluable experience. He also said about the Next Gen Champions and the other youth teams and then said - that's why I really want them to stay up.

The Guardian also said yesterday about how big a loss to the league it would be if we were relegated. They said if we beat the drop we're likely to be lighting up the division more frequently next season.

I've noticed this. Even my friends who were sticking the knife in last season have been saying they want us to stay up this time out. People like to see young, primarily English sides playing good football and entertaining the crowd and we do. One of the many reasons why this season has been so much better than last despite us struggling again. 

No, just me?

Didn't enjoy it last season. It's the players and the way they are playing that makes us worth watching.

This season, we have a team that has started to score goals.

Benteke, Agbonlahor, Weimann are an epic trio.

Which defence can stop the power Blanka, the pace Balrog, and the guile Guile?

SSF2T_Blanka.gif

SSF2T_Balrog.gif

SSF2T_Guile.gif

?

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

Yeah, I noticed on the Guardian blogs that people (neutrals, fans of other teams) have been saying they hope Villa stay up. Last season a lot of the same type of folks said we were playing the most dire football (we were last season!!) and hope we'd be relegated. This season it seems our young inexperienced underdogs have replaced Wigan as the Neutral's Favorite to Beat the Drop. That's kind of nice.

No, just me?

I was actually thinking about this after the Stoke game. I'm not entirely sure 'enjoying' is the right word, but I don't think I've ever celebrated Villa goals the way I have this season because every single time we put the ball in the back of the net is massively important. Though it should be noted I'd rather never see us in this position again.

Fulham game is very much like the liverpool game - its a chance to make everything alright. Fulham strike me as a bit of a lazy team, with nothing to play for, If we keep the tempo high we should have no problems.

Win this and we can avoid the last day bum squeaker......

Edited by smetrov