Rino8

Fact is Man City's spending far outweigh Liverpool's so why people keep trying to defend Man City by arguing how much Liverpool have spent is beyond me. 

Nobody is disputing that or even attempting to defend Man City.

What they are trying to do is illustrate to you that Liverpool haven't got where they are after some hurculean struggle, they aren't David v Goliath and they aren't some little PL urchin done good. They are and always have been one of the biggest spending clubs.

Yes they've done well this season and yes they've done better than I think anyone would have predicted but the amount they've spend also shouldn't be ignored, only some wish to try and ignore it or pretend its not the case.

Yes I know liverpool are one of the bigger spending clubs.....

So what is your point? 

The fact is they over achieved. To finish ahead of Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal and even Spurs is a good achievement with the amount of money they have spent. 

No one anywhere is trying to argue they are fighting on a shoestring or with no resources, you need stacks of money just to finish top half in this league as we ourselves know too well.

The point people are making is that they have done very well to seriously challenge the oil doped clubs for the title when similar spending teams like Spurs and Arsenal have never managed it. 

• Like 2

And nobody is saying it isn't a good achievement or that they haven't over achieved.

But PaulC has seemingly been championing Liverpool like some sort of low spending alternative to the money bags City.

You can't belittle the achievements of City because they've spent a truck load of money and ignore the fact Liverpool have spent a truck load of money.

Yes they've done well to finish about the clubs you mention, but nobody is disputing that.

There just appears to be the almost moralistic based view held by some that Liverpool are some how different, or on a higher level to Man City and its nonsense. 

• Like 1

Did you listen to Stan Collymore yesterday TrentVilla. He summed up exactly how I feel. Man City have achieved success the lazy way. Its been handed to them. They were a poorly run club for 40 years winning or achieving nothing and suddenly some rich people came in and buy them success. Its not like when we won the league and european cup. It wasn't bought for us.....Liverpool are not in the same category as City. If you dont see that I give up.

Edited by PaulC

I'm fully aware of City's history both before and post takeover, it is symptomatic of modern football sadly.

No it's not the same as our success in 1982/82 but then football hasn't been like that since 1993.

The league has been dominated since then by the richest clubs, the league has been won exclusively by them for 20 years now and probably will be for the next 20 though the clubs themselves may change.

Liverpool though are one of the highest spending teams in the last couple of years.

Yes they did well to finish above the likes of Chelsea but as I previously stated they aren't all that different to the likes of Chelsea and City they've just spent a bit less but still considerable more than most.

They haven't volubility their team or success on organic growth they've bought it the same as everyone else.

The issue I take with your stance is that you seem to be holding Liverpool as something different, something morally better something more pure. But it's just not the case despite the romanticism that surrounds them in the media.

They are not really any different to City they just aren't quite so wealthy.

Sure they have a better history that City but then so do lots of teams including us.

• Like 4

Liverpool have spent £100 million in the last 2 years.

The more important figures to look at are the net spend and the wage bill.

Spurs spent £100m last year as well but had to sell their star player to do it.

Man City and Chelsea spend £100m a season but don't need to sell anyone to find it.

I've had a very quick tot up on Soccerbase and their net spend is £66.4m in the last two seasons.

Arsenal on the other hand have a net spend of around £40m in the same period.

The same site has Man City's net spend as £78.4m in the same period, so only £12m more than Liverpool.

• Like 4

He's czech he's great he's Paddy Bergers mate... Vlad Smicer entering politics..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-eu-27378153

He is, perhaps, the only Czech European Parliament candidate you've ever heard of.

Former Liverpool midfielder Vladimir Smicer is one of the Czech Republic's most successful footballers, still remembered for his long-range goal in the heart-stopping 2005 Champions League final.

He retired from playing in 2009, and recently took up a coaching position at his old club, Slavia Prague.

Now he's entered politics - and will be hoping to give a lacklustre European election campaign a good kick.

Smicer is among 25 candidates standing for an obscure Czech party called Vize 2014 (Vision 2014). As a political candidate, he's refreshingly honest about his goals.

"It's not my ambition to be an MEP," he writes on the party's website, proudly sporting his bright red Slavia shirt. He explains that Vision 2014's stance on sport and physical fitness is close to his heart.

"In the Czech Republic obesity rates among children have quadrupled in the last 15 years," says Smicer. "More than half of the adult population of the EU are overweight or obese. Amongst children it's one in seven. I see it in the kids around me. Fitness isn't 'in'," he goes on.

"We've got to get our kids away from their computers, tablets and smartphones and get them moving. This is something Europe needs to care about."

So what hope of election success for "Smica", to use his Slavia nickname? Well, not much frankly. About the same as Wolverhampton Wanderers winning the Champions League.

"The problem is that Vladimir Smicer is standing for a party that no-one's ever heard of and which has zero chance of getting into the European Parliament," says Jindrich Sidlo, chief analyst for the country's leading economic daily Hospodarske noviny.

"And I'm not just saying that because I'm an Arsenal fan - he was a great player," Sidlo adds.

Thinking local

Smicer's candidature aside, Czechs seem wholly apathetic about the European Parliament as campaigning intensifies ahead of the 22-25 May elections.

"I'd say Czechs are almost totally uninterested in these elections, and I imagine turnout will be pretty low," Sidlo told the BBC.

"Anyway the parties use themes which are linked to domestic politics. So for example the Civic Democrats are campaigning against Czech adoption of the euro - but that's something that will be decided here in the Czech Republic, not the European Parliament," he went on.

"The European Parliament elections really just provide a signal as to who's likely to win the next (local and Senate) elections in the autumn. That's far more important." 

My Liverpool supporting colleague just asked me if I think Villa will be finally be relegated next year. I said no and then asked him how he thinks Liverpool will get on in the Champions League next year.

He said he thinks they'll finish in the top 10.

:huh:

My Liverpool supporting colleague just asked me if I think Villa will be finally be relegated next year. I said no and then asked him how he thinks Liverpool will get on in the Champions League next year.

He said he thinks they'll finish in the top 10.

:huh:

They were aided this year by not being in euro league, it's quite a strain on the team with all the extra games. I don't think they could've coped with the leauge and euro league on top of that with the squad they have.

When it suits him. He's a bit of a clearing in the woods to be honest, if you mention football to him after a Liverpool loss he'll tell you he's not bothered about football anyway, he likes F1.

This is the same guy who after telling him he exaggerated too much, he threatened to get a sword and cut my head off.

Edited by Paddywhack
  • Like 4

Â