Speculation: Steven Fletcher (Wolves)

KjParton

Ultimately it all comes down to value for money (VFM)

And at £13m, Fletcher is about £8m overpriced

He's what I'd call an agricultural, archetypical Championship centre forward plucked straight from 70/80's style football.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of me thinks £13m is way, wayyyyy too much for a player that hasn't really shone in the Premier League (irrespective of what team he played for), but then the other side makes me think about players like Chris Smalling and Phil Jones who played for averages sides, and have been snapped up for large fees.

I suppose the main difference is that the latter two have age on their side, and can become much better players in time.

fletcher isnt exactly old

In a footballing career he isn't young.

He's far away from being 19/20 (which, I'm guessing, was the age of Jones/ Smalling when they went to Man U).

Do we think Andy Carroll would be worth £35m when he's 25, if all he has to his name is potential and a few seasons of scoring around 10 goals?

Ultimately it all comes down to value for money (VFM)

And at £13m, Fletcher is about £8m overpriced

He's what I'd call an agricultural, archetypical Championship centre forward plucked straight from 70/80's style football.

Thanks for explaining VFM!

So he's a Championship Centre Forward (CF), who averages roughly 1 in 3 in the Premier League (PL) playing for very poor sides who create very little?

I think that obviously we could pick up somebody for cheaper from overseas but i trust Lambert to pick players who will improve us.

surely he's worth 8 million max, but as always British players with Prem experience always seem to be twice the value they are worth. There are so few of them as well.

I like him as a player.

I would be very suprised if we had bid for him, enquired yes, bid 13m no.

Ignoring the price I think ok - Steven Fletcher - goalscorer. Would come here and get 10-15 prem goals a season, which is exactly what we need so we aren't totally reliant on Bent (the only striker we have who can score regularly). I'd be all up for that. Then I think 13 million and I totally go off the idea, I think Wolves were closer to his correct value when they paid 7 million when they signed him. If only we had a scouting system like Newcastles and could pluck a Cisse out of the foreign leagues.

Why would wolves sell cheap? They paid £7m for him (plus wages) they have a 10% sell on clause, he hasn't requested to leave, has scored evry yr, and has 2 yrs on his contract.

It is a sellers market so they can demand more than they paid.

Look at on the flipside, we paid £12m for Milner, he had a few good years for the club and attracted interest from city, should we have accepted a £12/13m bid? No of course not...so why would wolves accept £7/8m??

He isn't a world beater, but he has scored in the prem for lower placed teams, will work hard and create chances for Bent. He will also attract the interest of the opposition cb's more than our other striking options, and thus should create more space for Bent (yes I know he is good at that himself, but it's a lot easier to lose 1 defender than 2).

Lambert knows his budget and knows his squad. If he knows he has £12/13m to spend on Fletcher and thinks he is worth that then what's the problem?

People saying that Podolski was cheaper, have to weigh other factors up...He was in the last yr of his contract. Plus Arsenal are a much bigger draw than us.

Wolves are mad if they think someone should spend £13+ on a championship player.

So you think they should make a loss of nearly £7m?! Very harsh.

Championship players are people too, you know?

We're not saying we want him for free. He's goals kept him up one season so I'd say he has more than paid back the 7M they paid for him.

Whoooooooosssshhhhh?

:winkold:

Oops. I was in full on defend Fletcher mode and missed the joke. £13 would be a very good deal :)

Lambert has got a couple of players at good prices KEL & Vlaar - but sometimes you just have to shell out for the guy you want...hope it happens.................but hope it isn't financed by the sale of Bent....

We won't be spending £13million full stop, let alone on one player.

This just isn't happening.

I rate Fletcher - but he's not worth £13million.

Pilchard, fancy a wager on you stating we won't spend £13 million full stop?

I say we'll spend over £13 million this window.

Loser gives £10 to VT?

Â