Speculation: Steven Fletcher (Wolves)

KjParton

i think Fletcher is a good player and finisher especially considering he has played flor Burnley and WOlves. Problem is the fee and is too much. for 8-10 million id take a gamble
You'd be happy to spend £10m on Fletcher but aren't happy with us snapping up Vlaar for £3.5m? :lol:

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it surprising that there were seemingly more people eager for us to sign Holt for in the region of £7m when we were linked with him than there are with Fletcher. Holt is 6 or 7 years older and scored 5 goals more than him last season in a far better side that was set up to get the best out of him.

Given the choice of Holt or Fletcher at the prices banded around I'd take Fletcher ever time, if Lambert can get 17 goals in the Premier League out of a journeyman striker like Holt I think he could get a lot more out of Fletcher than Mick McCarthy or whatever his name was who took over towards the end of the season.

I think we are in the unusual position of the manager not having done anything wrong for his judgement to be questionned at this stage to be honest.

That does not mean he is the messiah and can do no wrong, just that at this point of his tenure (and given what went before) he actually has a lot of leeway and deserves the space to make his decisions on his personnel.

For me that means IF Lambert wants him (and I think it is a big if for the money quoted) then for me that is OK. He is the manager I wanted at the club so that means him and his decisions on how best to achieve success while he is here

I do however think it is a big if and not sure if there is much in this for us, not that I have been told anything on THIS particular transfer.

i think Fletcher is a good player and finisher especially considering he has played flor Burnley and WOlves. Problem is the fee and is too much. for 8-10 million id take a gamble
You'd be happy to spend £10m on Fletcher but aren't happy with us snapping up Vlaar for £3.5m? :lol:

I don't agree with it, but i don't think its crazy for someone to be happy with spending money on a proven premiership player and not so happy with an unproven player that they don't rate.

I think we are in the unusual position of the manager not having done anything wrong for his judgement to be questionned at this stage to be honest.

That does not mean he is the messiah and can do no wrong, just that at this point of his tenure (and given what went before) he actually has a lot of leeway and deserves the space to make his decisions on his personnel.

For me that means IF Lambert wants him (and I think it is a big if for the money quoted) then for me that is OK. He is the manager I wanted at the club so that means him and his decisions on how best to achieve success while he is here

I do however think it is a big if and not sure if there is much in this for us, not that I have been told anything on THIS particular transfer.

What about other transfers you tease?

I don't agree with it, but i don't think its crazy for someone to be happy with spending money on a proven premiership player and not so happy with an unproven player that they don't rate.

This "proven Premiership" thing is vastly overrated. Not saying it's not important but it's this approach that "proven Premiership" experience should be valued above all else that originally got us into such a mess.

This "proven Premiership" thing is vastly overrated. Not saying it's not important but it's this approach that "proven Premiership" experience should be valued above all else that originally got us into such a mess.

Never argued against any of that.

Just saying i don't think zatman's opinion is as hilarious as you made out.

I find it amusing that people are saying that we should only pay £5m max for him...why the hell would wolves accept that? He was there top scorer last yr, has a decent premiership scoring record (1 in 3) even though he was playing in 2 terrible sides that both got relegated. He cost Wolves £7M plus extras (including a 10% sell on clause). They have run their finances very well and therefore are in no desperate need to sell, therefore it is ridiculous to think that they will only sell for £5m.

I think he is a good footballer and would be a good addition to squad, could be a good partnership with Bent, would be happy with the signing.

On a side note, I see many people are thinking that he will be joining sunderland, and I can understand why they are saying that...but then again when has MON signed an out and out goalscorer? (buying Heskey rather than Bent who was available at the same time springs to mind). If anything Doyle from Wolves is more a MON signing as he is hard working

Â