Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

5 to 7m and he can go

Contract situation aside he's worth way more than that. Don't know how you could be happy to see him go for just £5m.

I said if a while ago and the way he plays in this World Cup won't change my mind. Vlaar will very likely be a Man United player next season and it's something we need to start getting used too.

Yeah let's all get used to something that is barely being discussed other than on here
Nothing wrong with being prepared for the inevitable.

Just because in your opinion something is likely to happen doesn't mean it's "inevitable".

With all due respect can you stop taking everything I write so literally please.

In 'my opinion' he will be sold to Man United this summer.

Kinda hard not to take it literally when you're telling us all 'to get used to it'.

Not everyone is as pessimistic

• Like 2

5 to 7m and he can go

Contract situation aside he's worth way more than that. Don't know how you could be happy to see him go for just £5m.

I said if a while ago and the way he plays in this World Cup won't change my mind. Vlaar will very likely be a Man United player next season and it's something we need to start getting used too.

Yeah let's all get used to something that is barely being discussed other than on here
Just because in your opinion something is likely to happen doesn't mean it's "inevitable".
With all due respect can you stop taking everything I write so literally please.

Kinda hard not to take it literally when you're telling us all 'to get used to it'.

Well IF it does happen at least I won't be suprised or disappointed. I wouldn't even blame the club for selling him if the bid is right. You'd have thought there would have been attempts to offer him a new contract sooner. Maybe he wants to leave? Edited by Amo69

5 to 7m and he can go

Well IF it does happen at least I won't be suprised or disappointed. I wouldn't even blame the club for selling him if the bid is right. You'd have thought there would have been attempts to offer him a new contract sooner. Maybe he wants to leave?

How do you know we haven't offered him a new contract?

The good news for us is that both Lerner and Lambert will probably be hoping they don't have to be all that concerned with what happens next summer - so there's not a lot of benefit in picking up £3m now for Vlaar rather than just letting him run out his contract. I think he'll leave on a free next summer so we'll get another year out of him. In a way that's good news, we're forced at the moment into thinking in the short term on the pitch and he'll be 30 by then so his residual value wouldn't mean a big hit..

It's not so good news on Delph, who we'll be giving up for nothing instead of for £15m.

Agree we need to think short term until we get a new owner. Main goal for next year is survival. We need to hold onto our better players for now. If it means Vlaar walks for free next summer, so be it.

The good news for us is that both Lerner and Lambert will probably be hoping they don't have to be all that concerned with what happens next summer - so there's not a lot of benefit in picking up £3m now for Vlaar rather than just letting him run out his contract. I think he'll leave on a free next summer so we'll get another year out of him. In a way that's good news, we're forced at the moment into thinking in the short term on the pitch and he'll be 30 by then so his residual value wouldn't mean a big hit..

It's not so good news on Delph, who we'll be giving up for nothing instead of for £15m.

I'd say Delph is worth no more than £10m

I know this isn't a delph thread but i think delph is worth £15 million +

Based on what? I think that's a massive over-valuation. 

Agreed. Lallana's not going for much more than that, and he's a much better player. 

• Like 1

I don't think anyone will be leaving the Club until new ownership comes in. Unless is silly money.

If I was Vlaar I'd be very interested to see what sort of pay rise I'd be getting from New owners before clamouring to leave.

If any of Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal come in for him he will want out just like Barry, Milner, Young and Downing did. In all fairness as much as it grieves me to say it given the state of the club you could hardly blame him.

For what its worth I don't think one of the top teams will come in for him.

If any of Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal come in for him he will want out just like Barry, Milner, Young and Downing did. In all fairness as much as it grieves me to say it given the state of the club you could hardly blame him.

I don't think it will have to be a top team for him to want to leave.

I don't think it will have to be a top team for him to want to leave.

My opinion is the same, as I said before I think even a team like Southampton or maybe Everton, even Newcastle could easily snap him up.

I disagree that we'll just let Vlaar go easily. The club aren't stupid and they know how important he is.

Well the club only has two options, either sell him this window or lose him for nothing next summer, they have to work out which scenario is more valuable to them and it's probably the first option.

I disagree that we'll just let Vlaar go easily. The club aren't stupid and they know how important he is.

Really?

Yes, really. They've made some poor decisions (then again so do a lot of other clubs) but they know when it's important to keep a player, like last summer with Benteke.

Well the club only has two options, either sell him this window or lose him for nothing next summer, they have to work out which scenario is more valuable to them and it's probably the first option.

Actually there are three options, with the third being getting him to sign a new contract, which for some bizarre reason people have already come to the conclusion that that somehow isn't possible.

I think it is pretty stupid that a deal wasn't sorted out before the season ended, although then you could say that is down to Randy not wanting to fork out the wages. However, we've just signed two new players and ultimately I'd rather have given Vlaar the wages set for Senderos before any new defender was brought in.

As for Benteke, he still had 3 years left on his deal when he kicked up a fuss. Vlaar on the other hand can sign freely for another team in less than 12 months, 6 months if if he wants go abroad.

1st class stupidity from the club IMO.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

I love his nickname given by Ducth fans of Roncrete - backed up by a solid performance yesterday. Mixing it with some of the best he looked hard as nails, and i can scree why other clubs might be interested.

It was the Villa fans who dubbed him "Roncrete". Feyenoord fans called him "Concrete Ron", so it just was merged together. I actually think it was somebody on here who first called him "Roncrete" and it's spread.

• Like 1

I think it is pretty stupid that a deal wasn't sorted out before the season ended, although then you could say that is down to Randy not wanting to fork out the wages. However, we've just signed two new players and ultimately I'd rather have given Vlaar the wages set for Senderos before any new defender was brought in.

As for Benteke, he still had 3 years left on his deal when he kicked up a fuss. Vlaar on the other hand can sign freely for another team in less than 12 months, 6 months if if he wants go abroad.

I agree that the club should've sorted it out earlier but what's to say that the uncertainty over the ownership hasn't had a hand in that?

I'd like him to get a new deal but hes 29 and has 1 year left, if someone comes in with a fee then i dont think it'd be the worst thing in the world to sell him on but only as long as PL was given a chunk of the money for a new CB.

I agree that the club should've sorted it out earlier but what's to say that the uncertainty over the ownership hasn't had a hand in that?

You mean from Ron's point of view? Or the POV of the club?

I doubt Ron would have known about a takeover in say, January. At that point Ron was apparently beginning talks about a new contract, I think Lambert (I could be wrong) stated that contracts would be dealt with at the end of the season however (which I assume is due to the announcement of the club being sold coming soon).

From the club's point of view, as I say, we just signed Senderos on a 2-year deal whereas we could have given Ron that money/2-year contract before bringing anybody else in. 

We obviously don't know everything that has happened or is going on, but surely the most intelligent thing to do would have been to sign our better players up on new deals in January before the announcement, so that there are assets/good players there in case the club doesn't get sold.

Â