Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Maybe Vlaar didn't want to sign then? Maybe Lerner didn't want to sanction the wage rise? We just don't know really.

I'd like to think that even if there is no takeover this will still be sorted out. Just have to wait and see really.

Edited by Mantis

Maybe Vlaar didn't want to sign then? Maybe Lerner didn't want to sanction the wage rise? We just don't know really.

I'd like to think that even if there is no takeover this will still be sorted out. Just have to wait and see really.

Of course it is possible that Vlaar doesn't want to stay, but do we think that goes for Delph as well? Again, possible, but being as Delph said he wants to stay here for his entire career I highly doubt it.

Lerner didn't want to sanction a wage rise, but he has no problem bringing in another defender. Again, as I say, surely it makes sense to give your best defender by a country mile a wage rise first before bringing in a new one. Unless Senderos is here to replace him of course.

We shouldn't have to wait and see, Lerner has continued yet again to put our club in danger of losing our best players, this time around for free. Surely it really can't be anything but stupidity. 

Edit:

If not stupidity, it could be that Lerner just doesn't give a toss at all.

Edited by samjp26

It all depends on vlaars attitude. If he's happy to stay another year he will but if not I can't see us putting up much of a fight for a player who wants to leave with only 12 months left on his contract.

Also the club can't really make much of a stand when the owner openly doesn't want to be here.

If not stupidity, it could be that Lerner just doesn't give a toss at all.

I think its a mixture. He continues to make very poor decisions and if I'm honest I don't think he's seemed too interested in the state of the club since he hired Alex McLeish.

We should be offering him a new deal but let's face it, if he continues to have a good world cup, he's going to have better suitors than Aston Villa, at his age, does he really want to spend the rest of his prime years slugging it at the bottom half of the premier league table? 

At the same time though Vlaar isn't going to want anything less than playing week in week out.

Not sure you can state something like that. Many good players are happy to go to a big club and become part of the squad in order to win things and earn more money. I'm not sure Vlaar would be any different.

I love his nickname given by Ducth fans of Roncrete - backed up by a solid performance yesterday. Mixing it with some of the best he looked hard as nails, and i can scree why other clubs might be interested.

It was the Villa fans who dubbed him "Roncrete". Feyenoord fans called him "Concrete Ron", so it just was merged together. I actually think it was somebody on here who first called him "Roncrete" and it's spread.

Ah well - we (or someone on here) takes the credit then :)

At the same time though Vlaar isn't going to want anything less than playing week in week out.

I guess it depends on what he wants, he's certainly capable of playing week in week out for a side competing in Europe, perhaps not in England but he could get into a lot of sides in Italy and Germany who could offer him European football IMO.

5 to 7m and he can go

Contract situation aside he's worth way more than that. Don't know how you could be happy to see him go for just £5m.

I said if a while ago and the way he plays in this World Cup won't change my mind. Vlaar will very likely be a Man United player next season and it's something we need to start getting used too.

Yeah let's all get used to something that is barely being discussed other than on here
Nothing wrong with being prepared for the inevitable.
Just because in your opinion something is likely to happen doesn't mean it's "inevitable".
With all due respect can you stop taking everything I write so literally please.

In 'my opinion' he will be sold to Man United this summer.

Kinda hard not to take it literally when you're telling us all 'to get used to it'.

Not everyone is as pessimistic

Well IF it does happen at least I won't be suprised or disappointed. I wouldn't even blame the club for selling him if the bid is right. You'd have thought there would have been attempts to offer him a new contract sooner. Maybe he wants to leave?
How do you know we haven't offered him a new contract?

That's my point. They most likely did or have and the fact he still hasn't signed may indicate he knows there is potential for him to leave and move on to bigger things.

You can't really blame the guy if he does leave.

Considering you are always pulling me up for stating things as fact I'm surprised you can say that.

It's common sense really. If we're talking about a club like Southampton and Newcastle (and not someone like Man United). Even then, he's still going to want to be playing every week. That's the case with most footballers.

Considering you are always pulling me up for stating things as fact I'm surprised you can say that.

I've not claimed anything is "inevitable" or "very likely" though.

Edited by Mantis

It's common sense really. If we're talking about a club like Southampton and Newcastle (and not someone like Man United). Even then, he's still going to want to be playing every week. That's the case with most footballers.

I'm sure Javi Garcia "wants to play week in week out". Better players than Vlaar do, in fact, want to play every game yet accept the reality that at top of the top flight level, it's a squad game these days, and just put up with not appearing for months at a time. They might not accept the situation forever, but they take the money and the chance to win something in the short term. 

No (although he has appeared for Spain, and it's not unreasonable to think he might have played a bit more if he played for a club where he played first team football every now and then), so it probably comes down to a huge pay boost and a chance to win the League, or the greater likelihood of keeping your national team place. 

I really doubt that's as much of a foregone conclusion as you seem to think, but time will tell I suppose. 

The reason I mentioned the likes of Southampton and Newcastle is because Vlaar would easily get into their first team lineups week in, week out. My point was that he could quite easily move to a club that isn't too far ahead of us in terms of league positioning, but miles ahead of us currently in terms of finances, ability and ambition.

Â