Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Swap Vlaar for Kompany and I doubt he'd singlehandedly make a significant difference like you seem to be expecting Vlaar to make. He hasn't had a perfect season and he's made mistakes, but he's clearly a good player.

I love the fact that we have him.

I think a player as good as kompany would make a big difference. That's the kind of 'no one could do better than Lambert' thinking.

I keep hearing we have all these good players and a good manager. So what's gone wrong?

A lot of the same people were telling me lowton was one of the best rb's in the league last year.

Vlaar has done very little to make us a better team or a better defence. He's had games when he's looked very good but for the most part he's a very average premier league defender.

To be fair Lowton was actually pretty good last season. What, do you not think players can regress/improve?

How do you know that Vlaar has done little to make us a better team? The stats for when he's in the team compared to when he isn't speak for themselves. If he's "average" then I'd love it if we could have some more "average" players.

I've not disagreed we're better with him in the team. Are the stats with him in the team good?

We do have SOME good players. Trouble is equally we have some god awful players.

No, there's a difference.

I rate Vlaar highly as a player outright. It has nothing to do with 'getting nobody better'.

He could go to United IMO.

A lot of the same people were telling me lowton was one of the best rb's in the league last year.

Vlaar has done very little to make us a better team or a better defence. He's had games when he's looked very good but for the most part he's a very average premier league defender.

To be fair Lowton was actually pretty good last season. What, do you not think players can regress/improve?

How do you know that Vlaar has done little to make us a better team? The stats for when he's in the team compared to when he isn't speak for themselves. If he's "average" then I'd love it if we could have some more "average" players.

I've not disagreed we're better with him in the team. Are the stats with him in the team good?

You said he'd done very little to make us a better team and I was pointing out that given how we do much better when he's in the team than when he isn't that statement is wrong.

As daggy just said we do have good players. The main problem isn't players like Vlaar but the fact that we just have too many poor ones. I don't know why it's so hard to accept for some people that not all Villa players besides Benteke and Guzan aren't shit.

Regarding the talk of Kompany, Vlaar isn't in his league. However, a partnership of Kompany and Vlaar would be very, very good.

Vlaar definitely isn't in the elite Premier League defenders group but in my opinion he'd be in the next group down. 

• Like 2

Regarding the talk of Kompany, Vlaar isn't in his league. However, a partnership of Kompany and Vlaar would be very, very good.

Okore is in the Kompany mold.  ;)

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Vlaar definitely isn't in the elite Premier League defenders group but in my opinion he'd be in the next group down.

I agree and it isn't often that a top team has two elite centre backs as such. Man City would be better off with Vlaar over Demichellis for example.

Our best defender and Dutch international and he's not good enough for us?? I don't see the logic. Hopefully next year Okore and Vlaar can give us the solidity we need at CB. Clark and Baker aren't good enough simple and I doubt they ever will be. It must he hard to get any sort of consistency when the defence is constantly changing.

We've had a pretty piss poor defence for two years. Its probably the worst defence I've ever seen as a villa fan. Vlaar is part of that. I'm curious as to why he's absolved of all blame for yet another season were we concede a high number of goals.

We've had a pretty piss poor defence for two years. Its probably the worst defence I've ever seen as a villa fan. Vlaar is part of that. I'm curious as to why he's absolved of all blame for yet another season were we concede a high number of goals.

Do people absolve him of all blame? 

A new team will be built around Guzan, Vlaar, Delph and Benteke and it is only those players who are good enough out of the current squad to move us forward.

Vlaar has been one of the few shinning lights in Lambert's reign. You only have to look how poor defensively we were without him. He's plenty good enough to play In the top six and hopefully that's where Vlaar will be with us in the not too distant future.

• Like 1

Swap Vlaar for Kompany and I doubt he'd singlehandedly make a significant difference

Our attack hasn't exactly been great either yet that still doesn't mean Benteke isn't a phenomenal striker.

• Like 1

You only have to look how poor defensively we were without him

Are we good defensively with him?

Stoke, Swansea and a poor united side have put 4 past us recently. Relegated Fulham scored 2 and had other sitters they missed.

Vlaar is not a Man United quality defender (although, yes, he is better than Smalling/Evans etc - who are also not really good enough for United). However he's certainly good enough for us. I questioned him last season but he's improved a lot. We must sign another CB in the summer so that Baker and Clark don't get so many games; they are the real problem. Then Vlaar/Okore/new CB can compete for the two starting berths when fit.

Stoke, Swansea and a poor united side have put 4 past us recently. Relegated Fulham scored 2 and had other sitters they missed.

Are we good defensively with Guzan?

Swap Vlaar for Kompany and I doubt he'd singlehandedly make a significant difference

That quote doesn't absolve Vlaar of all blame.

It simple states that one player regardless of how good they are can't change an entire defence.

Now I agree to a point with that, but its obvious the presence or absence of a particular player can/does have a impact and visa versa when they play. 

That isn't the same by a country mile as absolving Vlaar of all blame.

What a strange point.

What a strange point.

It a perfectly logical point.

He is trying to point out that we aren't defensively good with Guzan but that doesn't mean Guzan is a bad keeper which clearly he isn't.

• Like 2

Â