Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

IMO Vlaar is more reliable than Dunne and Collins, and those two were more probable to make big mistakes. IMO Vlaar is about as good as Dunne was in his first season, and better on his feet than Dunne or Collins.

I'm better on my feet than Dunne and Collins.

Dunne and Collins comfortably better than Vlaar?

Give me strength.

At their best they were.

You cant just take them at their best; Heskey had some good games for us.

Saying Collins and Dunne were/are better than Vlaar is bizarre to say the least.

I think they were both comfortably better. Dunne especially so.

Comfortably better, Dunne currently in the Championship, Collins a back-up at West Ham. Yep keep telling yourself they are comfortably better than him.
I didn't say are I said were.

Maybe we'll see better of vlaar under a better manager. After all dunne and Collins were poor once houllier came.

Edited by Big_John_10

Comfortably better, Dunne currently in the Championship, Collins a back-up at West Ham. Yep keep telling yourself they are comfortably better than him.

Richard Dunne is 35 this year.  James Collins has started more games this season than any West Ham defender other than James Tomkins.

Dunne and Collins comfortably better than Vlaar?

Give me strength.

At their best they were.

You cant just take them at their best; Heskey had some good games for us.

At their best they were comfortably better than Vlaar at his best.

Even at their best, you could make a case for them just edging it. Comfortably better is barmy.

Dunne made the premiership team of the year and with Collins formed one of the best defences in the prem that year. At 29 years old I don't think vlaar will be able to do either of those things.

Richard Dunne is 35 this year.  James Collins has started more games this season than any West Ham defender other than James Tomkins.

James Collins has started more games due to their other centre back being out in Winston Reid. Like I said he's a back up, their main two is comfortable Reid and Tomkins.

Saying Collins and Dunne were/are better than Vlaar is bizarre to say the least.

Maybe we'll see better of vlaar under a better manager. After all dunne and Collins were poor once houllier came.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8587517.stm

Was Houllier manager for this game, thought not.

Even at their best, you could make a case for them just edging it. Comfortably better is barmy.

Dunne and Collins had a full season in which Villa conceded 39 goals. Think about it, 39 - that's about as many as Man City have got this season and they're looking like certain champions. 

The Vlaar-led defence conceded 69 goals last season and is on course to conceed around 60 again this season. Talk about partnerships all you like, but Vlaar has never been even close to performing as good as Dunne and Collins for Villa. 

• Like 1

You should check out how many we conceded in the other 37 games.

Since the Chelsea game Vlaar has looked dodgy at best. I know playing with Baker must be trying but a good defender makes those around him look good because they command and control games. Vlaar never does this.

Dunne and Collins were great the last season under MON and it was only towards the end of the campaign that they fell away due to MON rotation policy or lack there of. Plus with a less crooked referee in the League Cup final we would have won a cup with them.

I certainly wouldn't put Cahill above Vlaar either. I would do at his current level but when he was at Villa he was pretty naive, even when he went to Bolton it took him a while to get into his stride.

As for Collins, he was a liability who constantly gave the ball away, no thanks.

You should check out how many we conceded in the other 37 games.

Why should I check that, they were paid twice as much as Vlaar and by your accounts comfortably better players but still ended up conceded 7 in a game. Surely if they were that good, they wouldn't be conceding those levels surely.

Â