Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

I don't think anyone disagrees that we're better with vlaar than without him. That's mainly due to the other options not being good enough. We're still a poor defence with vlaar in it.

Well you seem to be going to extraordinary effort to ignore any evidence in this thread that shows Vlaar might actually not be rubbish.

But then immediately saying other people are ignoring evidence when they dare to have a different view than you.

To be fair....Vlaar in mid-table quality at best. But is also our best defender. Which says a lot about the club, really.

Sticking any Premier League quality defender in the team is going to improve it when you have Clark and Baker there.

Edited by Pilchard

My opinion on Vlaar is he is the best defender at the club at the moment and without him in the team, the results are worse. But he is mid table quality. I don't think he would have got in the team with the centre backs we had under MON.

My opinion on Vlaar is he is the best defender at the club at the moment and without him in the team, the results are worse. But he is mid table quality. I don't think he would have got in the team with the centre backs we had under MON.

With ease he his better than Dunne and Collins - Stick either one of them next to Baker and Clark and see how good they are then.

I do miss Zat Knight sometimes

With ease he his better than Dunne and Collins - Stick either one of them next to Baker and Clark and see how good they are then.

He is better then Dunne, but not Collins. I actually rated Collins (gets ready for abuse)  :blush:

I don't think anyone disagrees that we're better with vlaar than without him. That's mainly due to the other options not being good enough. We're still a poor defence with vlaar in it.

Well you seem to be going to extraordinary effort to ignore any evidence in this thread that shows Vlaar might actually not be rubbish.

But then immediately saying other people are ignoring evidence when they dare to have a different view than you.

I've not ignored it at all. I've acknowledged the evidence that shows vlaar improves us when he plays and I've given credit when I felt he deserved it.

Yet when others acknowledge Vlaar's faults and the defence in general, but also acknowledge that he's also a decent defender, it's you accusing them of ignoring evidence. Why? Because they don't agree with you?

To be fair....Vlaar in mid-table quality at best. But is also our best defender. Which says a lot about the club, really.

Sticking any Premier League quality defender in the team is going to improve it when you have Clark and Baker there.

None of which disagrees with anything I've said. Although I'd argue that Vlaar is better than "mid-table quality at best", but that could just be down to opinion.

Just had a rethink, he is not better then Mellberg, Laursen or Collins, but he is better then Knight and Dunne. 

Not better than Collins, seriously?

I don't even know how you can put Collins in the same sentence as Mellberg and Laursen.

• Like 1

Just had a rethink, he is not better then Mellberg, Laursen or Collins, but he is better then Knight and Dunne. 

I don't think he's a patch on any of those, I'd put him on a par with Liam Ridgewell or Cuellar.

• Like 1

Remember 09/10 when Villa had one of the best defences in the whole league (apart from the Chelsea game), Collins was one of the reasons behind that. So good in the air, and popped up with a few important goals too.

In my opinion, Villa only have 5 player's that are Premiership quality, Vlaar is one of them. Lets hope he doesn't have a good world cup (sorry villaajax), or the vultures will come.

• Like 1

Dunne made the premiership team of the year. I can't see vlaar ever managing that.

Look at the team we had back then though BJ.

Our team is a shadow of that one and our midfield doesn't protect the defence half as much as our midfield did back.

Dunne made the premiership team of the year. I can't see vlaar ever managing that.

So? Vlaar is in a much worse team than Dunne was.

Remember 09/10 when Villa had one of the best defences in the whole league (apart from the Chelsea game), Collins was one of the reasons behind that. So good in the air, and popped up with a few important goals too.

Remember 10/11 and 11/12 when they were shit?

I'm stunned you put collins in the same breath as those two Villa gods. Behave yourself.

Vlaar is mediocre at best to be honest. He is nowhere near the top 5 best centre backs we have had during my 26 years of following villa, actually nowhere near the top 10

Edited by KHV
  • Like 1

Â