Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Apparently injured and struggling to make the next game for Holland ..what a surprise..

Him wanting to leave I can live with , the comments about going up a level after his performances this season is what winds me up 

At first I was disappointed to hear he looks to be leaving. The more I think about it, at 30, with his injury record his appearances per season are likely to decrease. Considering he'd probably want a fairly hefty contract and stop us having a settled back 4 due to being in and out the team, we are probably better off trying to find a replacement.

Apparently injured and struggling to make the next game for Holland ..what a surprise..

Him wanting to leave I can live with , the comments about going up a level after his performances this season is what winds me up

Confirmed - he's pulled out with a calf injury! Haha! What a **** useless crock. Glad he's leaving. Villa fans have been used to quality centre backs over the years and he is **** averge in comparison.

• Like 1

Last season he made 20 appearances in the league, 1 off the bench.

He made 32 the season before.

27 in his first season. 

Out of the 114 PL matches in the past 3 seasons Ron has played 79 (missed 35). Combined thats almost an entire season. For someone that on our books and minds is a KEY player for us, who actually isn't brilliant and replaceable (unlike Benteke), should go! We need better for a key player. I know Benteke missed copious amounts of football but its slightly different with him, the guy is world class and shows he is a key player when back to fitness. Ron doesn't for me. 

So based on that, we would be lucky to get 2 seasons out of him if we offered him a 3 year deal. 

He aint getting any younger or quicker and his recovery time will also be slower. 

It used to take my Nan ages to wipe her own arse!

Correct! 2 seasons out of 3 if he got a new deal... and with his injury record the way it is that would reduce to 1 and a half seasons of a 3 year contract. Not worth it at all.

At first I was disappointed to hear he looks to be leaving. The more I think about it, at 30, with his injury record his appearances per season are likely to decrease. Considering he'd probably want a fairly hefty contract and stop us having a settled back 4 due to being in and out the team, we are probably better off trying to find a replacement.

This is bang on.  For me, as good as he can be on his day, he has unsettled our defence massively over the last few seasons as we've had to swap him in and and out.  To be fair Baker is the same, and Okore has been in and out due to him coming back off such a big injury, but this is why we need an experienced commanding CB who is going to last the season and steady a very unstable ship back there.

If you're any good at your job then you don't have to chase the money it comes to you.

How many bids/offers have we/he had since the world cup?

Looks like this is what he's doing. He's probably only got our offer on the table, the big clubs he's expecting either haven't approached yet or aren't sure he's good enough. He's basically putting himself in the shop window

Yeah if i was Sherwood i would now withdraw the offer.

Hes been a good player for us, but i will not be sad to see him go.

Yep.  The fact that I'm not mad that he's leaving us is perhaps the most honest indictment I can have.  He could have been so much more here, but he was just too injury prone.  Such an ironic nickname.

• Like 1

Funnily enough the press this morning initially had Vlaar saying he was feeling great but then all of a sudden he was allowed to go home due to injury. Turns out hes having talks with Besiktas today, huge step up mate, huge.

Funnily enough the press this morning initially had Vlaar saying he was feeling great but then all of a sudden he was allowed to go home due to injury. Turns out hes having talks with Besiktas today, huge step up mate, huge.

European football?

• Like 1

He knows it's his last chance of a big money move. And to be fair, he spent the majority of his career in the Eredivisie, so I can't blame him for that.

European football?

im sure he will miss the relegation battle ahead of european football ;)

im sure he will miss the relegation battle ahead of european football ;)

He may be in Europe next year....

... but, given his defensive gaffes and his injury toll, he'll likely still be in a relegation battle next season. ;)

will have been utter rubbish at the back for the 3 years ron has played,i wont shed a tear tbh, just look at last years league tale ffs, i have been brought up watching macca,southgate,ugo,laursen,teale, etc, popadom ron is part of the defence problem, ship him out,buy a cb that can do the job like every other team!!

Â