Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Its not petty its thinking about the long term future of the club. Clark, okore and baker playing first team football is better for us than them sitting on the bench until vlaar leaves.

The concentration should be on players who will be here and want to be here.

I don't disagree with that DC, but I don't see PL dropping Vlaar unless he performs poorly. And if he plays, I think he should remain captain for the sake of stability. That's important too.

The reason why I originally said I'd drop him as captain is because he is planning on leaving at the end of the season, which his prerogative, however I don't think having a player as captain with one foot out of the door is anymore stable than keeping him as captain so as to not disrupt the rest of the squad.

In the locker room it would have an effect on how others see him. It would get to his head and affect his play negatively. I wouldn't want that to happen. Rather just drop him from the team (not what I would do).

Why would we look to keep him for the whole season then lose him for free? Our other defenders have already proven that we don't need Vlaar. He is a luxury player at this point. We might as well get some transfer fee for him. Chances are he will play a few matches then get injured for a month or two anyway. 

The only issue I have is this...there was a time believe it or not when Herd, Baker and Clark were posting decent stats as a defensive trio three years ago. Then Chelsea 8 nil happened and the defensive became shambolic thereafter.

There could be a game where we get a thumping who knows and Clark/okore could lose confidence and need to be taken out for a bit. I would prefer Vlaar's cool head to be in the squad than not plus they'll be games against the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal where a back 5 is logical.

I just want us to have a decent season for once and finish in the top 10. To me keeping Delph and Vlaar until end of season gives us more chance of doing that. 

You can also bet if we lose Vlaar all our CBs will get injured and we'll suddenly have to restort to playing Herd there again, Senderos and Baker are currently injured as it is.

The time to sell to get decent fees was in the summer not now. But that wouldn't have sent a great signal out either.

In any case Vlaar will start pretty much every match he's reasonably fit for imo so I'm intrigued what Lambert will do for these next two home games. Just keeping a back 5 when we need to be on the front foot in these games from the off will be a bit of a cop out I think. We'll see.

My stance really hasn't changed on this fella. Should have cashed in after his 'out of character' exceptional performances at the World Cup. Never ever was he going to reproduce that form for us or anyone really. Largely to do with the fact he's always injured.

The Aston Villa captain, whose contract expires at the end of the season, was reportedly a target for Louis van Gaal during the summer but the player insists no bid was forthcoming

Aston Villa defender Ron Vlaar has insisted Manchester United never approached him over moving to Old Trafford during the summer.

The centre-back was linked with interest from the 13-time Premier League champions after impressing under Louis van Gaal as Netherlands finished third at the World Cup with Brazil.

Villa boss Lambert recently admitted Vlaar's future is in his own hands, with the 29-year-old's contract set to expire at the end of the season, and the player admitted he did receive offers during the summer.

"There was interest [after the World Cup], but never from the caliber clubs I would leave Aston Villa for," he told Algemeen Dagblad.

"Manchester United? I've never heard anything from them. If a club had been seriously interested I would have noticed. That hasn't been the case."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2014/12/30/7507402/vlaar-i-never-heard-from-manchester-united?ICID=HP_FT_1

Edited by sexbelowsound

Leaving or not leaving, this guy has to start. Solid performance vs Sunderland, and he is a better defender than any other of our centre backs. 

We should consider ourselves very lucky that we have such a situation. 4 solid CB's.

or Maybe Lamber knows that Vlaar could very well be staying hence he plays him ? If he signed a new 2-3 year contract we would have him for his prime years!

Edited by Mic09

A lot of major clubs are probably looking at Vlaar and they see a quality defender, but they also see that he has a lot of injury issues. A manager then has to think, do I want to sign someone and worry that he will only be able to play 5-10 matches then get an injury? Is Vlaar really that good to that a club would be willing to put up with those injuries? Plus Vlaar will have no resale value. He will be 30 in the summer. 

Pretty sure Southampton who are lightyears ahead of us were interested.

Why did you have to say the bolded? Any excuse.

Because the post above indicated that nobody was interested who Ron would be remotely interested in joining due to their current status being no different or not much different to ours.

And because, they are.

You seem to have this unbelievable urge to react to any post that talks about aston villa in a negative light, as if you are stunned that someone can have that sort of opinion.

Well people can Stefan, and guess what, those who do have more to back up their opinion than others who choose to see the current state/performances of the club through rose tinted glasses. All IMO of course :).

Aren't Arsenal being linked to Winston Reid for 4m? Ron is better than him and would come at a similar price.

Ron will  be 30 very soon and is an injury crock. It's no surprise no top clubs have come in for him. Wouldn't be surprised to see clubs try to get him on a pay as play deal when his contract expires next summer.

Because the post above indicated that nobody was interested who Ron would be remotely interested in joining due to their current status being no different or not much different to ours.

And because, they are.

You seem to have this unbelievable urge to react to any post that talks about aston villa in a negative light, as if you are stunned that someone can have that sort of opinion.

Well people can Stefan, and guess what, those who do have more to back up their opinion than others who choose to see the current state/performances of the club through rose tinted glasses. All IMO of course :).

Nope. Not cutting it. I say negative things about villa as well. I'm under no illusions that things aren't great.

But saying they are 'light years ahead of us' is totally unnecessary. It adds nothing to your point other than negativity.

Edited by StefanAVFC

And because, they are.

Nope. Not cutting it. I say negative things about villa as well. I'm under no illusions that things aren't great.

But saying they are 'light years ahead of us' is totally unnecessary. It adds nothing to your point other than negativity.

Well that's up to you but they are light years ahead of us, and I would not at all be stunned if vlaar had fancied going there. Probably joined the vast majority of football fans in thinking they would fall short having sold a load of half decent players for ludicrous fees in the summer.

Â