Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

I did think on saturday he wasn't his usual passionate self at the end of the game. At half time when the players were leaving the pitch to generous applause a number of players acknowledged us whereas Vlaar avoided any sort of eye contact with the fans and headed staright down the tunnel.

Maybe I'm reading more into the situation but I have a feeling his heart is elsewhere.

As Vlaar was leaving the pitch he was clenching his fist and shouting yes. Looked passionate enough to me.

• Like 1

Lets not forget the time when Ron Vlaar tried to come over to the fans when we lost against Swansea, we gave him abuse.

I just can't imagine our fans doing that!!

Oh wait...

• Like 2

I'm very doubtful Vlaar would go to Southampton. Big hassle for a club that is not much better and he wouldn't even be the team captain. Obviously he'd go to Man Utd if Van Gaal wanted him. That must be the reason why we are holding back on contract talks. I think Vlaar is better than anything Utd have got right now. Main flaw is he is injury prone, with us he has an annual calf injury around Christmas time. 

I'm very doubtful Vlaar would go to Southampton. Big hassle for a club that is not much better and he wouldn't even be the team captain. Obviously he'd go to Man Utd if Van Gaal wanted him. That must be the reason why we are holding back on contract talks. I think Vlaar is better than anything Utd have got right now. Main flaw is he is injury prone, with us he has an annual calf injury around Christmas time.

Depends what they offer him compared to us. If he doesn't get his big move then it could be his last chance to earn a few extra million.

Depends what they offer him compared to us. If he doesn't get his big move then it could be his last chance to earn a few extra million.

Weren't we going to give him a big pay rise with his new contract?

How badly do Southampton want an injury prone player?

I've just got a feeling that he's staying. I would hope at the very least he is offered a new deal in the next couple of weeks, so we know where we stand, but I think he will walk for nothing next summer.

If we do sell this summer, it must be £12m minimum to be able to buy a quality replacement.

If he goes, I think it will be with a heavy heart. Obviously, a huge payday and a chance to play at the very top (should Utd come in for him) is too much for any player to turn his nose up at. But, I get the sense he is'nt done here on a personal level.

Well if he doesn't go and isn't signed up to a new contract with us by November then i think it's fair to say he's off next summer without a doubt.  He'll be talking to anyone and everyone come January and if he has a good season here then he'll easily get a move to a much bigger club.

Can't blame him or the club for not selling given the fee we paid for him it's not like its a massive loss in those terms (although you do have to wonder why there was no move earlier to tie him up to a longer term deal as it was crystal clear he is the lynchpin in our defense) .  Anything less than a huge bid of £10m wouldn't make it worth our while given the problems we could have defensively if he went and the lack of time to find a replacement.

Perhaps we are worried about his injury record and with him getting older that will only likely get worse.

Atleast if we refuse to sell then it gives us plenty of time to find and bed in a suitable replacement next summer.

Letting Vlaar go is potentially the equivalent of 'financial suicide'. If Randy wants to protect his investment and find a buyer the sale of Vlaar woukd not make sense.

I would offer Vlaar a similar deal to that of Benteke. If he does not accept it I would let him run down his contract. We have nothing to gain by selling him. It would be extremely difficult to find a suitable replacement before the window closes. This would leave us in a simillar position to last season where we have to rely on Baker/Clark. The transfer fee we would receive for him does not come close to the revenue loss if we got relegated!

Dont risk it......Vlaar must stay!

• Like 1

He'll either go to United before the transfer window closes or it'll get to Sep 2nd and he'll start to say that he wants to concentrate on his football so contract talks can wait (or in other words: "I'm leaving in the summer").

I think the United ship has sailed now that they have bought Rojo and I agree we'll get the "I want to concentrate on my football" line. To be hones I think it could work out for us very well. He's not as good a defender as is being made out at the moment so if we did sign him to a new deal it would be overpriced. Next summer he'll be a year older, his stock will have fallen and we might be able to keep him for a smaller contract.

I remember at the end of the Spurs game away last season, we had taken the pee out of ourselves/players/owner etc. all game, it had been pretty hilarious actually in a self-depreciating way. At the end of the game, he looked so embarrassed, turned around to us, got a load of abuse then threw his hand in the air in exasperation and stormed down the tunnel.

I remember thinking at time he'd be off.

I don't think he is going anywhere, next summer though could be a different story.

I'd actually take that right now and be pretty happy with it.

Main thing at the moment is he stays for this year and helps keep us up. That gives us 12 months to sell the club and hopefully show him we have a better future. If that doesnt happen then it gives us a good amount of time to plan for a replacement.

He is without doubt a decent player but not irreplaceable in my opinion. His value to us is far greater to us in the immediate term than it is the long term.

• Like 1

I don't see how Utd is getting into the big time after last season. There's nothing to say that they may not make European football for a few years yet. Chelsea, Man City and to a lesser extent Arsenal and Liverpool are much safer bets for a chance in Europe.

Yes he'll make more money and yes he's much less likely to be caught up in a relegation battle but he could potentially be finishing 7th in the league instead of 15th. Fair enough that's more comfortable but I just don't see Man United being as big a draw as they were under Ferguson.

Â