Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

I am not sure how good Ron is. I know he has been a part of one of the most disorganised and shambolic Villa teams defensively over the last couple of years that I can remember in my 30+ years following us. I also know that he performed very well at the World Cup.

He is certainly a decent Premier League centre back. With a year left on his contract, being 30 before the end of the season and with a patchy injury record I would say a fee of around 5-7 mill would be fair. In the end I guess it will come down to whether he is happy to stay or not and how much of a fuss he would kick up if he does want out.

Don't get where this idea comes from that he only plays well in a Netherlands shirt.

Me neither. A simple calculation reveals that with him in the team, we score more than a point a game - ie, enough to stay up this season. Without him, we score a lot less than that. That in itself makes his value to us higher than it appears.

Based on pre-season at least and how comfortable Senderos has looked* I think a back two of Vlaar and Senderos could work well. It may lack a bit of pace but both appear pretty rapid when they need to actually do a bit of running. Though personally I think a good defender always looks slow as they shouldn't actually be doing a lot of chasing if their positioning is correct.

* I fully understand that his comfort thus far could be down to the level of competition. I know some on VT don't rate him but he's clearly on a higher standard than the typical MLS player. I may be completely wrong come the start of the season when the bar for quality gets raised considerably, but for now I think a Vlaar and Senderos pairing would work. 

As far as I'm aware Vlaar seems happy and Lambert has said he won't be going, so why are our fans trying to flog him?

Because he has a year left on his contract and managers say things like that all the time?

Liverpool have signed Lovren and Koeman quoted as saying he's close to signing a replacement. Should see one way or another whether Vlaars the target soon

The replacement he is talking about will be Virgil van Dijk but they are targetting two centre-backs. The James Nursey article tonight claims that they'll bid for Vlaar very shortly and are even willing to give him the armband.

Liverpool have signed Lovren and Koeman quoted as saying he's close to signing a replacement. Should see one way or another whether Vlaars the target soon

The replacement he is talking about will be Virgil van Dijk but they are targetting two centre-backs. The James Nursey article tonight claims that they'll bid for Vlaar very shortly and are even willing to give him the armband.

Bugger. Was going to suggest Van Dijk as a replacement for Vlaar.

Why would we sell Vlaar to one of our relegation rivals

Imo Southampton will be candidates for relegation this season considering they have sold their best players talk this morning about them selling another Rodriguez

They might have money but bringing players in who can hit the ground running in the premier league is the problem

Edited by AshVilla

I don't think Vlaar would leave for Southampton. I agree that they will struggle, but regardless, if you've just had the World Cup Vlaar has had and you have one bog cotnract left in you, you're not going to bother going to the likes of Southampton. If nobody in the top six over here or in the better leagues in Europe comes in for him, I think he will stay.

A club in as much of a financial hole as Southampton, having sold most of their first 11 and having also lost their manager and repalced him with an untried head case actually makes us look less and less a basket case.

And so do the fans (going OTT about selling players) - Benteke a classic example - majority wringing their hands and moaning that he's gone - we are doomed (again) and guess what - he stayed!. One year left or 3 years left - if he's is going he is going (IF the right amount of money is offered). 

Queue the 'Lerner will pocket the money' crap and Lambert is a liar if he goes. Not 1 single bid has come in - not one single quote from his agent or Vlaar but it's still the same.

NO ONE (LERNER,ELLIS,LAMBERT or PLAYER) is bigger than the club - we've survived worse - no matter what happens we'll bounce back. Jeez if QPR, Wolves Newcastle and others can do it so can we. Regardless of owner.Just my opinion.

What a load of populist, head-in-the-sand babble. You got the yellow star that was your intention though so well done...I guess.

And so do the fans (going OTT about selling players) - Benteke a classic example - majority wringing their hands and moaning that he's gone - we are doomed (again) and guess what - he stayed!. One year left or 3 years left - if he's is going he is going (IF the right amount of money is offered). 

Queue the 'Lerner will pocket the money' crap and Lambert is a liar if he goes. Not 1 single bid has come in - not one single quote from his agent or Vlaar but it's still the same.

NO ONE (LERNER,ELLIS,LAMBERT or PLAYER) is bigger than the club - we've survived worse - no matter what happens we'll bounce back. Jeez if QPR, Wolves Newcastle and others can do it so can we. Regardless of owner.Just my opinion.

What a load of populist, head-in-the-sand babble. You got the yellow star that was your intention though so well done...I guess.

Whats populist about it? Instead of reacting to twitter gossip and rumour there's points made which people agree with. It seems more populist to be anti the club and to believe everything negative yet write off anything remotely positive. IF we sell Vlaar it will because he wants to go and we have received an offer that's good for the club. People still think Southampton are a better prospect even though they've lost half their team!! As mentioned Lambert managed to keep Benteke when virtually everyone though he would be gone so believing we can keep Vlaar isn't exactly a stretch of the imagination.

• Like 1

Head in the sand babble - well I must have been doing that for 52 years then and all through the shit times when we were broke and down in Div 3 and after we got relegated after winning the League and European Cup. 

And that comment about yellow stars shows your maturity and NO I did not post for effect. I just pointed out FACTS - Benteke was as good as gone with NO evidence (apart from Press speculation and some fans believing every word). Now Ron is as good as gone because he has 1 year left on his contract but with NO PROOF whatsoever (upto now) no quotes no actual words from Vlaar or his agent. Once the player/agent/bid is made public then I'll believe it and only then. Discuss and speculate that is all this is until proven as fact.

And OK I would rather head in the sand babble then moan about all and sundry to do with Villa/Lerner/Lambert etc etc etc

• Like 2

Head in the sand babble - well I must have been doing that for 52 years then and all through the shit times when we were broke and down in Div 3 and after we got relegated after winning the League and European Cup. 

And that comment about yellow stars shows your maturity and NO I did not post for effect. I just pointed out FACTS - Benteke was as good as gone with NO evidence (apart from Press speculation and some fans believing every word). Now Ron is as good as gone because he has 1 year left on his contract but with NO PROOF whatsoever (upto now) no quotes no actual words from Vlaar or his agent. Once the player/agent/bid is made public then I'll believe it and only then. Discuss and speculate that is all this is until proven as fact.

And OK I would rather head in the sand babble then moan about all and sundry to do with Villa/Lerner/Lambert etc etc etc

Maybe no one will come in for Vlaar? Other than wet spam not many teams are signing based on WC performances?

• Like 1

Whats populist about it? Instead of reacting to twitter gossip and rumour there's points made which people agree with. It seems more populist to be anti the club and to believe everything negative yet write off anything remotely positive.

Ok,

Firstly, Benteke handed in an actual transfer request so people were well within their rights to moan about it at the time. What Naz is doing is just making a petty swipe in hindsight as if there were any people at the time that foresaw the u-turn with that situation. Nine times out of ten, when a player hands in a transfer request, they leave. So there was nothing "OTT" about the backlash after he did that.

IF we sell Vlaar it will because he wants to go and we have received an offer that's good for the club.

Not quite and this is what I don't get. If Vlaar doesn't accept a new contract, then we actually have very few cards to play in that situation. Unless we are happy to potentially lose him for nothing, then there won't be any firm stance over our valuation. Naz describes the idea that Lerner will want to cash in on Vlaar in this scenario as "crap" but it is a completely conceivable given our situation.

I have no time for 'better fan than you' posts with the mentality that you are only a good fan if you expect the most optimistic outcome in any situation regarding this club and the above from Naz definitely qualifies as such.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

Â