Stephen Ireland

omariqy

why was he dropped yesterday or always on the bench?

is he shit in training?

if Lambert hates him then he should have shipped him on loan or sold him, we've got rid of Warnock and Hutton (hopefully)...... does Lambert have to freeze someone else out of the picture so is turning back to make asses of Ireland and Bent.

good one

Shit atttude, no fight, no desire, lacklustre........thats why  he does'nt play

quite likely, but we don't know that for sure or do we???? is anyone ITK on what his relationship with Lambert is like?

we, me included all seem to jump to conclusions that Ireland is an overpaid charlie big potatoes who does very little on the pitch, and yet he seemed pretty consistent last season and got player of the year (because everyone else was so awful?). Surely he would have been one of the first players moved on in Jan if Lambert really doesn't rate him??

I remember a couple of years back watching Super Sunday, Craig Bellamy was in the studio and was telling the story about when he signed for City. He said his friends kept asking him who the best player was as the team was full of stars. He said he told them that Stephen Ireland was out of this world, incredible talent and by far the best player. What the f**k happened to him? Money is my educated guess.

Shit atttude, no fight, no desire, lacklustre........thats why  he does'nt play

quite likely, but we don't know that for sure or do we???? is anyone ITK on what his relationship with Lambert is like?

we, me included all seem to jump to conclusions that Ireland is an overpaid charlie big potatoes who does very little on the pitch, and yet he seemed pretty consistent last season and got player of the year (because everyone else was so awful?). Surely he would have been one of the first players moved on in Jan if Lambert really doesn't rate him??

Love how people think this is so easy to do.

to me, SI is the footballing equivalent of rugby's danny cipriani. extremely talented as a youngster, with great potential, that was extrapolated way too far, before he'd had the time to show that he would live up to that potential. both then rightly or wrongly became media focuses off the pitch, with happenings off the pitch being used as excuses for failing to be the next jonny wilkinson (in cipriani's case) or among the most technically gifted footballers around (in SI's case)...

as such, neither player has been allowed to develop in the same way that other players have - SI is now only 26, but has been held to the standard of an exceptional footballer for many years now. look at bannan delph, herd, lichaj and clark at 22 / 23. when he was that age, he was man city's player of the year, and through fortuitous timing at the club was awarded the five year contract that put him on the wages that have worked against him ever since.... having been given that contract, he went from player of the year to pariah with the sacking of hughes and the arrival of mancini... and  the rest is history - he has hardly played again regularly since then.... to me, its not surprising that he looks like a shell of the player with the potential that he showed at the time...

another person that springs to mind when thinking of SI is andy carroll. if he was an 8m player, people would have a very different opinion view of him than they do today. I don't hold it against these players signing contracts like that - if someone came up to me and told me they thought i was great and worth 5m a year, there's no doubt in my mind i'd thank them very much for their belief and take the contract. there are plenty more young players that will follow the same path - jordan henderson, wilfried zaha, chris smalling, chris samba, the fat pudding that was in the press recently (was it michael johnson?), half a dozen at chelsea... are these guys world beaters? no. did they ask to be held up as world beaters? probably not. will the expectation work against them? probably, much depends on how they are nurtured. walcott / oxlade-chamberlain / wilshere seem to me to be good examples of how it should be done...

i have a lot of time for Brendan Rogers' approach to Raheem Sterling, and holding firm the line that you don't get a big contract at a young age, as it becomes a burden while you're developing as a player...

Having said that, I don't think that Villa is a club that has the luxury of developing Ireland over a long period of time. plus, when you are paying him as a marquee player, unfortunately, the development time is not factored into the price.... for that he needs to go and sign a sensible contract and just work on playing football regularly again somewhere that he can do it...

so unfortunately, i think we need to get rid of him based on where we are, and what he have ahead, but i don't think that he is a guy that doesn't care when he's on the pitch - i think he cares enormously about what the fans think about him... i just don't think he's good enough or confident enough to turn his game around in the cameo roles he's being given. i also think he could be someone like taarabt is for QPR if given the show of confidence that harry redknapp has shown in him...

as an aside, i don't think he's anything like the arrogant person some on here seem to think he is. i have always found him to be very humble - vain perhaps, but not arrogant...

stephen ireland is the reason why pl could not bring in sissoko in, pl needs to get rid of him one way or another.

how is that stephen ireland fault?

simple..hes a top earner signed by RL,then with in the time scale of the contract randy gave him..randy decides to "cut" the wage bill which means no better players.

to me, SI is the footballing equivalent of rugby's danny cipriani. extremely talented as a youngster, with great potential, that was extrapolated way too far, before he'd had the time to show that he would live up to that potential. both then rightly or wrongly became media focuses off the pitch, with happenings off the pitch being used as excuses for failing to be the next jonny wilkinson (in cipriani's case) or among the most technically gifted footballers around (in SI's case)...

as such, neither player has been allowed to develop in the same way that other players have - SI is now only 26, but has been held to the standard of an exceptional footballer for many years now. look at bannan delph, herd, lichaj and clark at 22 / 23. when he was that age, he was man city's player of the year, and through fortuitous timing at the club was awarded the five year contract that put him on the wages that have worked against him ever since.... having been given that contract, he went from player of the year to pariah with the sacking of hughes and the arrival of mancini... and  the rest is history - he has hardly played again regularly since then.... to me, its not surprising that he looks like a shell of the player with the potential that he showed at the time...

another person that springs to mind when thinking of SI is andy carroll. if he was an 8m player, people would have a very different opinion view of him than they do today. I don't hold it against these players signing contracts like that - if someone came up to me and told me they thought i was great and worth 5m a year, there's no doubt in my mind i'd thank them very much for their belief and take the contract. there are plenty more young players that will follow the same path - jordan henderson, wilfried zaha, chris smalling, chris samba, the fat pudding that was in the press recently (was it michael johnson?), half a dozen at chelsea... are these guys world beaters? no. did they ask to be held up as world beaters? probably not. will the expectation work against them? probably, much depends on how they are nurtured. walcott / oxlade-chamberlain / wilshere seem to me to be good examples of how it should be done...

i have a lot of time for Brendan Rogers' approach to Raheem Sterling, and holding firm the line that you don't get a big contract at a young age, as it becomes a burden while you're developing as a player...

Having said that, I don't think that Villa is a club that has the luxury of developing Ireland over a long period of time. plus, when you are paying him as a marquee player, unfortunately, the development time is not factored into the price.... for that he needs to go and sign a sensible contract and just work on playing football regularly again somewhere that he can do it...

so unfortunately, i think we need to get rid of him based on where we are, and what he have ahead, but i don't think that he is a guy that doesn't care when he's on the pitch - i think he cares enormously about what the fans think about him... i just don't think he's good enough or confident enough to turn his game around in the cameo roles he's being given. i also think he could be someone like taarabt is for QPR if given the show of confidence that harry redknapp has shown in him...

as an aside, i don't think he's anything like the arrogant person some on here seem to think he is. i have always found him to be very humble - vain perhaps, but not arrogant...

And I think Ireland gets some of the stick he's been getting due not being Milner, people were and are very disappointed that we replaced very popular Milner with "troublemaker" (which is somewhat undeserved stamp) Ireland.

Well said.

Â