Stephen Ireland

omariqy

Said it before he joined, during his first season here and irregularly thereafter in the previous SI threads on here, this guy is damaged goods who is still riffing off one decent season in the company of superstars 4/5 years ago. He's never going to hit those highs at Villa or at anywhere else for that matter as he's not the kind of guy who seems to care about anything more then picking up the salary. IF we stay up this year Ireland needs to be sent on his merry way asap.

Maybe we should all have a bit of faith in the manager, even if we don't all rate him. I've already had my rant on Ireland the player and his missed opportunity of a career in this thread. OK some people didn't like Hutton/Warnock getting the same treatment - but I wonder how many people were happy with the situation until we shipped 8 goals against Chelsea? 

I'm happy to watch this from the sidelines and assume Lambert has his reasons. If there is a reason and we're not being told why maybe it would affect the ability of the club to sell him on so maybe it's better we just keep our mouths shut.

good example to the youth players too in as much as they can see how good a footballer you can be but still not cut it.

No one can seriously argue the guy doesn't have problems with his attitude and/or application though can they? I mean seriously?

I don't believe he has an attitude 'problem' necessarily, but I do think he may be a difficult player to work with and get the best out of. I've never seen  bad 'attitude' in his play, he won player of the season last year through sheer graft, because he didn't score or assist many. He worked hard. 

This year, it seems he doesn't at all fit into Lambert's system and has had some very poor games. I can't say it massively upsets me that he's been relegated to the reserves because he's not made a positive contribution this season and I don't believe he's done enough in his time here, relative to the amount he is being paid. 

I do however disagree with that kind of man management. I think it's a case of cutting your nose off to spite your face. What if everyone gets injured and/or is playing really badly. We clearly want to get rid of him, but that may be difficult with him sat in the reserves earning a lot money. He'll sit on his contract until it runs out, which I think is the end of next season?

Apparently trained on his own on Saturday and with the kids on Friday.  I very much doubt he has an attitude problem or doesnt give it his all during training.  Think its more to do with forcing him out of the club and trying to get the wages off the books.

If you have a player with his ability and technique (of which I'm personally jealous) who has underperformed as often and regularly as he has and does under various managers at different clubs, would suggest its not a new phenomenon of Lambert's making.

His breach of discipline while on loan at Newcastle and Houlier saying he needed to "work harder on his game" are examples of his questionable application and professionalism.

He manages to almost single-handedly beat Chelsea in the game after the twitter pics get posted and the media go crazy suggesting he can step it up when he has a point to prove to the world. I also think the fact that his best seasons for Man City came after the Eire/Grandmother/Girlfriend incident where the press went after him while he was dealing with serious personal issues on the home front would back this up.

Stephen Ireland's problem is Stephen Ireland. All I was really adding was I cant see Lambert doing this solely in order to force him out. It's pretty obvious he's available but who seriously wants him? I've said before somewhere it would make more sense to play Bent/Ireland if they are to be sold but if their hearts and minds aren't in it their ability is irrelevant. I might not agree with his tactics or be inspired by whatever his half time teamtalks seem to do to the team, but I have enough faith in him being the person who works with these players day in day out to presume something has happened and Lambert has acted on it. Fair point you dont like dropping him to the reserves, it airs our dirty linen in public, and like I said some people didn't agree with Warnock and Hutton being treated the same way.

anyone out on Thursday see him out drinking anywhere? ;) maybe its a breach of discipline and its a temporary punishment? maybe Lambert wants to get the media focussed on him as he realises it's the only way to motivate the guy? Maybe he told him 3-5-2 was shit? Who knows? not me that's for sure! But I do think its entirely fair to say it's hardly going to be surprising if we find out Ireland's been a naughty boy. 

He is a joke.

He's the kid at school who was brilliant in the playground at lunchtime, but when he got picked for the school team he was dog turd.

Being 'the best player in training' means nothing.

He will never be the player he thinks he is. He won't get the chance at a top club again, because he has neither the heart or the balls to do it week in week out for an 'average' club like ours

He has been rubbish. Certainly not justifying the huge wage that Lerner and Faulkner gave him. How many mangers now have not got the best out of him?

Mancini

Macdonald

Houllier

Mcallister

Lambert

Yet lambert is the one getting the blame, sounds right.

And on the flip side how many managers have failed to get anything from bent?

Yet in your eyes you don't blame the manager for that.

not sure of the point you are trying to make, or indeed score. I do not blame lambert , or in fact the other managers, for failing to get anything out Ireland, so the point is pretty consistent.

Sometimes I look at players from their spell from their previous club(s)

Ireland was player of the year at Man City about 4 seasons ago, and was playing amazing for Eire too...

He no longer plays for both, and that is a question in itself.

However. He was player of the year for Man City like I said, yet City with all their resources chose to ignore that fact and get rid of him and buy players from Villa (Milner and Barry).

My question is how come Eire are not trying to get him back with urgency and how come Man City sold him with ease.

Answers on a post card!

I hate the way Lambert does this. I didn't rate either Warnock or Hutton but to completely isolate them and make them train with the kids is a bit pathetic IMO. Just seems so childish. Now to do this with Ireland who seemingly hasn't done much wrong, no worse than any other member of the squad and he gets this treatment too. 

I hate the way Lambert does this. I didn't rate either Warnock or Hutton but to completely isolate them and make them train with the kids is a bit pathetic IMO. Just seems so childish. Now to do this with Ireland who seemingly hasn't done much wrong, no worse than any other member of the squad and he gets this treatment too. 

Yeah. We can't they all train with the rest of the squad, and just not pick them if you don't want to. Why make them train with the reserves as if they're being punished for something? 

I'm not convinced either way, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was a directive from above. All of the managers who have served under Lerner have demoted players to the reserves at some point, freezing them out of the club. Either we have coincidentally had 4 managers with terrible man management skills, or Lerner is sticking his oar in where it's not wanted. Again.

The manager has to respect the players and their egos too, because some players are fantastic to work with (someone like Lowton) and some are more of a hassle (like I imagine Nani and Taraabt are). That is the way of the game and certain players develop because of that ego, just look at Zlatan and Ronaldo. What we cannot accept are Balotelli-types, but this is 2013 not 1975. The players are more important and in a bargaining position compared to that time and managers need to adapt. The club is always bigger than any player, but the same goes for the manager. He is in charge, but dropping one player can easily disrupt the squad as that player can have many friends and allies in the squad. Dropping Warnock and Hutton to the abyss is cold and uncalled for, especially as their value plummits and the wages stay the same. If they had played a bit in the beginning of the season they could have showed what they were capable of, and if they didn't it would be easier to sell them to the Readings and Wigans because they are at least visible, instead of loaning them out to desperate and measly Championship clubs.

Edited by Papillon

Apparently trained on his own on Saturday and with the kids on Friday.  I very much doubt he has an attitude problem or doesnt give it his all during training.  Think its more to do with forcing him out of the club and trying to get the wages off the books.

But putting him with the kids doesnt stop us paying his wages - and definitely doesnt help us with our fight to stay up. He is (at times) excellent and we shouldnt be 'phasing' him out when we could well need him. He could be useful for us against Arsenal

Â