Stephen Ireland

omariqy

One of our best players yesterday, played with plenty of composure and commitment and still you had morons critisising and abusing him inside the ground for the full 90 minutes, even when he made good passes (see the post match thread). It pretty much sums the situation with Stephen Ireland up - he will never win with some people purely because of the wage the club agreed to give him. Shame, because he's a good player, and certain fans certainly have agenda's against him.

Totally agree. I'm a fan of SI but it's probably best for both parties if he moves on. He's a talented footballer at the right club at the wrong time.

Why does everyone go on about how much he gets paid?

Does a player do a job on the park, that's all that matters...

His reaction at the final whistle tells me he does care.

I believe Ireland should be a regular in the team, with Bannan as his back up.

One of our best players yesterday, played with plenty of composure and commitment and still you had morons critisising and abusing him inside the ground for the full 90 minutes, even when he made good passes (see the post match thread). It pretty much sums the situation with Stephen Ireland up - he will never win with some people purely because of the wage the club agreed to give him. Shame, because he's a good player, and certain fans certainly have agenda's against him.

Agreed. But that's the dumbest reason to dislike a player, because he's on high wages. Since when do we judge players in proportion to how much they're paid. Gabby makes just as much as him and pretty much epitomizes the 1 good game, 3 bad games player yet doesn't get the same amount of underserved stick. Probably because he's a "local boy".

CI your grudge against Ireland has been unrelenting and unforgiving. Certainly nothing 'unbefuckinglievable' about your post, just very, very boring and predictable.

CI has it would seem had an ongoing grudge but what he says above is right, SI was outfought and out tackled outwitted and out passed by 4th division players, he had a couple of moments but nothing was far from amazing, good even. If people are happy to keep Ireland then they should be happy to keep Lambert and all his signings because they have made far more effort and been better players on the whole this season. Wanted Ireland to do well here but just tom many "maybe now he will start playing" moments and zero sustained quality performances.

Aaah Steven Ireland. Or Steven England if you are Irish. One of the finest exponents of the modern '**** footballers' that blight the beautiful game. Still living off one half decent season playing alongside Robinho. To me, he looks like a player trying to pare himself out of existence. Trying to find the space on the pitch where he will be most ineffectual.

You are a midfielder, Steven. Scamper out the pitch, make tackles, maybe even score a goal (how many goals have our midfield scored this season?). Be free young man!

Maybe we just aren't good enough for him.

Aaah Steven Ireland. Or Steven England if you are Irish. One of the finest exponents of the modern '**** footballers' that blight the beautiful game. Still living off one half decent season playing alongside Robinho. To me, he looks like a player trying to pare himself out of existence. Trying to find the space on the pitch where he will be most ineffectual.

You are a midfielder, Steven. Scamper out the pitch, make tackles, maybe even score a goal (how many goals have our midfield scored this season?). Be free young man!

Maybe we just aren't good enough for him.

Not sure if sarcastic or...

No, it's not right, not at all.

I'll simply repeat a post made in the post-match thread which summed his game up to a tee:

"He worked his socks off all night, forced a very good save from the keeper in the first half, had a goal disallowed, put a sitter on Bentekes head just before half time, got into a great position in first half but delph blasted over the bar instead of putting him through one on one,

Second half he came closest to scoring outside of Weimanns goal, harrassed players to the final whistle and was committed....its hard to pass it more than 5 yards with no movement around you."

This myth about him putting in no effort is exactly that, a myth. He was unfairly dropped earlier this season and has had to watch far inferior midfield players being picked ahead of him, and **** up in the process, on a weekly basis. Name me one other Villa midfield performance that has been better than when Stephen ran the show up at Newcastle? There hasn't been, simply put. He is massively inconsistent, yes, but that is not surprising given the way he's constantly thrown in and out of the team with little logic or thinking behind it. Continue to beat him with a stick because of his wages if you like, but Stephen Ireland on form or not is the best technical midfielder we have at this club and we should start playing him and judging him fairly on his performances, rather than his pay packet given to him by this club which has proved itself to be clueless at best when it comes to wages.

Like I say, many people have an unhealthy agenda.

• Like 4

Why are the board then making decisions to now sign players? I thought this was the managers job.. oh wait. there wasn't one at the time!

Makes you wonder who might actually be picking the team aswell,

Kevin MacDonald I would of assumed let Milner go.

No, it's not right, not at all.

I'll simply repeat a post made in the post-match thread which summed his game up to a tee:

"He worked his socks off all night, forced a very good save from the keeper in the first half, had a goal disallowed, put a sitter on Bentekes head just before half time, got into a great position in first half but delph blasted over the bar instead of putting him through one on one,

Second half he came closest to scoring outside of Weimanns goal, harrassed players to the final whistle and was committed....its hard to pass it more than 5 yards with no movement around you."

This myth about him putting in no effort is exactly that, a myth. He was unfairly dropped earlier this season and has had to watch far inferior midfield players being picked ahead of him, and **** up in the process, on a weekly basis. Name me one other Villa midfield performance that has been better than when Stephen ran the show up at Newcastle? There hasn't been, simply put. He is massively inconsistent, yes, but that is not surprising given the way he's constantly thrown in and out of the team with little logic or thinking behind it. Continue to beat him with a stick because of his wages if you like, but Stephen Ireland on form or not is the best technical midfielder we have at this club and we should start playing him and judging him fairly on his performances, rather than his pay packet given to him by this club which has proved itself to be clueless at best when it comes to wages.

Like I say, many people have an unhealthy agenda.

Great post

Â