Stephen Ireland

omariqy

You could instantly tell the difference in class as soon as he got going, problem is you need it for large portions of the game.

We seem to have a bit of a dilemma right now some players have industry but lack flair, some have flair but lack industry.

we need some more rounded/complete( or near as damn it) players.

some of the kids will be ok, they just need some help.

It's not just Reading. He's been playing like this for 12 months or so, almost every time he's been given a shot. I guess it takes some longer than others to cotton on.

Class is permanent.

What ? He's had a handful of average/good games

That's it

Before Ireland came on last night, Westwood was the only one who had the air of quality about him, where he could receive the ball from anywhere and he could control it, and move it to someone else without any worry that it would be a bad pass, or he would catch it wrong etc.

Ireland came on and instantly we had 2 players who were like that. His touch is, and always has been, sublime. His application and work rate has always been questioned but I've only ever seen him work his bollocks off (this season at least).

Our most technically gifted player by a long way in my opinion. Just wish the confidence would come back because when he tries things, they generally work.

This all day long.

He has to play.

Before Ireland came on last night, Westwood was the only one who had the air of quality about him, where he could receive the ball from anywhere and he could control it, and move it to someone else without any worry that it would be a bad pass, or he would catch it wrong etc.

Ireland came on and instantly we had 2 players who were like that. His touch is, and always has been, sublime. His application and work rate has always been questioned but I've only ever seen him work his bollocks off (this season at least).

So we only have two players of quality but you still think we are going to finish top 8 this season? Are we going to buy the other 9 players in the January window to get a top 8 side together?

I think Darren was specifically talking about Tuesday's game, not the players' overall quality.

And fwiw I'd agree with him. Plyaers like Bannan, Weimann, Lowton etc all have decent quality on the ball, but I don't think anyone apart from Westwood and Ireland particularly showed it on Tuesday.

So we only have two players of quality but you still think we are going to finish top 8 this season? Are we going to buy the other 9 players in the January window to get a top 8 side together?

beyond the top 3 in england at the moment the standard is fairly garbage

I think Darren was specifically talking about Tuesday's game, not the players' overall quality.

And fwiw I'd agree with him. Plyaers like Bannan, Weimann, Lowton etc all have decent quality on the ball, but I don't think anyone apart from Westwood and Ireland particularly showed it on Tuesday.

Yep, this.

And I think we'll buy very well in January.

In your opinion. In mine he's had not had a "bad" game in almost 12 months and he's had a handful of good/excellent games in that time.

Each to their own.

Indeed. In his defence I will say he never seems to get a consistent run of games to get any momentum going. Dropping him for the Reading game was a bizarre decision.

Indeed. In his defence I will say he never seems to get a consistent run of games to get any momentum going. Dropping him for the Reading game was a bizarre decision.

He was dropped for Arsenal which on reflection was probably the right decision. I'd have bought him in instead of Holman personally but I can see why Holmans work ethic was wanted.

Here's to him getting a run then?

Â