Stephen Ireland

omariqy

I do think it admirable that Ireland spent the afternoon at the kids hospice. Brilliant stuff. I also apologise for my earlier comment which in hindsight was without thinking why he rushed off. It's a shame he couldn't stop and sign a few autos pose for the odd photo as fans player of the year.

My understanding is you have slagged off Ireland...... only to find out that A. he has a broken wrist which probably meant he couldn't sign anything (have done it myself and it kills!)...

Who were you signing autographs for?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

He should have put Gabby in on one counter attack but ended up doing nothing. Equally he put the ball on a plate for Weinman who should have scored. He also put Benteke in with a nice little chip, Benteke fluffed it. He got stuck in at times, but his bread and butter passes were a bit hit and miss. He could have scored and had two assists on another day. All in all he had an up and down game.

^ Pretty much. But I'd say it was Gabby's lack of movement that made him dwell on the ball. How was he going to put him through when the defender was right on him, and Gabby wasn't trying to run in behind? His passing was a bit lacking at times but he kept going and was working hard off the ball as usual. Still, without him a lot of our breaks would have came to nothing and he is still probably our most creative player.

^ Pretty much. But I'd say it was Gabby's lack of movement that made him dwell on the ball. How was he going to put him through when the defender was right on him, and Gabby wasn't trying to run in behind? His passing was a bit lacking at times but he kept going and was working hard off the ball as usual. Still, without him a lot of our breaks would have came to nothing and he is still probably our most creative player.

Totally agree. He gave the ball away a few times yesterday in the first half but he worked his bollocks off, had a knack of getting into some lovely positions finding space and him, Bannan and Westwood linked up very well together.

• Like 1

I don't think it's a coincidence that his return has seen 2 wins. Whilst he was out injured our midfield looked woeful. It's still not great, but I think Ireland has added that bite of experience that we needed and was able to calm down our players and help dictate the play a little.

Our best performances this season (yesterday, Newcastle, Swansea) have all come with him in the team.

No fan of Bannan but he also seems to play better when Ireland is in the team.

Has to play for me.

I'm a big Ireland fan boy, so might be a bit bias, but it definitely does seem that when him and Bannan are in midfield, we play better and our movements also seem to have more fluidity. I hope the two of them continue to get selected to start and surely it will only get better, especially if Ireland is a bit more consistent in his passes in the final third.

Really impressed with him. He obviously has a bit of quality and while he got caught in possession a little on Saturday, he worked very hard for the team and got stuck in. I'll be more than happy if he plays like that every week.

agree that his workrate has been good... would just love to see him with a bit more confidence in attack... if he were to start pinging in shots, it would make players come to him and hopefully free up others to give him more options....

Good performance from Ireland who was busting a gut at times. When he's playing well he makes us tick and we need to get the players around him on the same wavelength. A very encouraging performance overall.

Yep, I think that's our best midfield 3 at the moment.

The thing is, you could easily make a case for El-Ahmadi, Delph and N'Zogbia also, which means we should have enough of a squad to cope with injuries, suspensions and cup runs this year.

I've said it again and again, someone in Ireland's position is vital to the way we play.

It's where we struggled last season and it's where we've struggled this season without him.

He's not the future, but while we have no-one else, Ireland has to play.

Â