Matthew Lowton

Qwpzxjor1

Do you recall his bullying of Bob Wilson, got sent off in the first game at Highbury and the reply was four days later and in those days he was allowed to play. Poor old Bob was a quivering wreck

I do villanfromluton I was at both cup ties and we gave Bob some terrible stick. "Six foot two, eyes of blue, Sammy Morgan's after you...". :lol:

Welcome Matthew by the way. He seems a player who is happy to be here and who our manager is happy enough to work with. Sir Ron Saunders signed a couple of marquee signing such as Dennis from Coventry and Andy Gray but he did not splash the cash as such and also signed the odd less well known player who became a legend with us such as Allan Evans.

John, you are so right. Jimmy Rimmer was an Arsenal reject as they wanted pat Jennings, Kenny Swain, how was he a right back. Ken McNaught to many seemed a slow oaf and he perhaps was, but turned out to be a great player for the club despite the love of my love of Chris Nicholl. Evans you have said. Bremner and Morley were certainly not known and I have said on here a few times about the first time I saw Des v Arsenal at home, he looked awful.

John, lets be honest, did you think when Kenny Swain when he made his debut, he would become to any normal observer the best right back in the country. Can you remember Swains debut and the position he played, my motm by the way, but that aint a good clue lol

John, lets be honest, did you think when Kenny Swain when he made his debut, he would become to any normal observer the best right back in the country. Can you remember Swains debut and the position he played, my motm by the way, but that aint a good clue lol

No, it took a great manager to decide he would make a full back but he had always looked a good player to me with Chelsea and in his early games with us (which included his debut against a club our new manager is fresh from (although I must admit I needed to jog my memory on that) and I think he started as a right winger).

I keep seeing people say what if he turns out to be gash

What happens if he turns out to be a future england international who goes on to cap his country 50 odd times

The 3 mill we paid for him would turn into 20 mill

So three RB's competing for one position should give us the options needed rather than rely on a distinctly average player in Hutton.

This is good news as Lichaj and Lowton will be hungry to win that RB place.

I didnt see it as I wasnt old enough back then but wasnt he a right winger?

Allan Evans was a CF for Dunfirmaline and converted at Villa to CB.

Morley arrived from lower league Burnley - First thing in my Vilal Scrapbook was teh report of him Signing.

Spink arrived from nonleague Chelmsford.

Wasnt Geddis a big signing who just ddint work out?

After playing cb on sat, anyone think he could be competing for that position with clark for the season and that we may be looking for another rb?

He has the attributes to play there, looks pretty tall, quick and a good reading of the game

I didnt see it as I wasnt old enough back then but wasnt he a right winger?

Allan Evans was a CF for Dunfirmaline and converted at Villa to CB.

Morley arrived from lower league Burnley - First thing in my Vilal Scrapbook was teh report of him Signing.

Spink arrived from nonleague Chelmsford.

Wasn't Geddis a big signing who just didn't work out?

correct... its called building a team as opposed to assembling a bunch of expensive stars who want to play like individuals.

After playing cb on sat, anyone think he could be competing for that position with clark for the season and that we may be looking for another rb?

He has the attributes to play there, looks pretty tall, quick and a good reading of the game

Lambert has already said that was a temporary little test; said Lowton did well there but he was expecting him to be a solid full back.

Handy cover by the sounds of it, but looks like he's been bought to be primarily a right back, with the option to cover left back and centre back if needed.

Lambert has already said that was a temporary little test; said Lowton did well there but he was expecting him to be a solid full back.

Handy cover by the sounds of it, but looks like he's been bought to be primarily a right back, with the option to cover left back and centre back if needed.

Oh...I hadn't seen any quotes from the game..

• 2 weeks later...

On the basis of the game against the Timbers that will be sooner rather than later. A very solid peformance.

Lowton scored a nice goal from a corner kick. Very promising.

Other than the goal (which can often distort perceptions of a performance), how did Lowton do? Is he a defensively or an attack-minded fullback?

Other than the goal (which can often distort perceptions of a performance),

the Sky approach ;). I remember commentator said Terry was set to win man of the match in the 3-3 draw last year at Stamford Bridge until we equalised

Yeah I suppose Sky are good protagonists of that. Granted, goals are very important, but not so much on a defender's C.V. in the 'how I defend' section :)

He's been very interesting to watch so far, very good on the ball and generally looks comfortable but a couple of times in each game he's been dispossessed in a dangerous area. However this is probably due to Lambert instructing the players to play the ball out of defence at all costs, given that the games are friendlies.

Â