Matthew Lowton

Qwpzxjor1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know what any of you saw. Go and rewatch the game and you'll see Lowton was pretty poor. In the whole first half he was invisible. Never went forward and was rarely challenged due to our possession. In the 2nd half, Lambert likely told him to go forward which Lowton still rarely did, but when he did, oh wow it was bad. His crosses were terrible and he was giving the ball away. Both fullbacks really did nothing going forward and were suspect defensively; Baker more so.

i saw a young player making his first start at this level and doing fine. he looked pretty solid defensively when he settled down, and with the ball he was tidy and played it to feet. he was not giving it away all the time.

yes his crossing was poor, but im not sure what people were expecting for his debut in the premier league. he was never going to be bombing forward all the time and whipping in great cross after great cross, especially as we were away from home.

a solid start, and hopefully as he gets used the premier league and his confidence grows we will see him attacking more

I know it was his debut but I expect some more attacking down the flanks especially if we are playing Lambert's narrow attack. If all the CMs will be bunched in the middle, you need your fullbacks running down the flanks. That is why I am very confused why Baker got the start over Lichaj considering Baker is a CB. I think this was a big reason why we had few chances all game.

Indeed it was his debut, but I'm assuming we're a football team trying to do well, we're not a nursery, and therefore I think if we wish to develop him as a player it'd be better bringing him on as a substitute and slowly working him into the Premier League - rather than just throwing him in at the deep end and sympathising with / slating his performances if they aren't up to scratch.

Relying on a kid that has been brought in from League 1 as our first choice right back isn't my idea of moving forward to be honest.

Indeed it was his debut, but I'm assuming we're a football team trying to do well, we're not a nursery, and therefore I think if we wish to develop him as a player it'd be better bringing him on as a substitute and slowly working him into the Premier League - rather than just throwing him in at the deep end and sympathising with / slating his performances if they aren't up to scratch.

Relying on a kid that has been brought in from League 1 as our first choice right back isn't my idea of moving forward to be honest.

You can't say that. The new messiah Lambert signed him!!!

At 23 he is hardly a kid.

Â