Matthew Lowton

Qwpzxjor1

Depends what "very good" means though. I think Guzan is great, Vlaar is good, Baker is solid and Lowton is stable. But these guys have let in 64 goals this season, and it's not just down to Joe Bennett and the guys in midfield not chipping in. 

Edit: What is certain though, games like last night can change his career forever. After that game he knows that at his best he is more than good enough. The same goes for games when we lose 8-0 to Chelsea, but you probably take more out of a solid win than a solid loss where others also are to blame.

Please look at the defence against Chelsea: 

Lichaj-Lowton-Clark-Herd-Baker

Depends what "very good" means though. I think Guzan is great, Vlaar is good, Baker is solid and Lowton is stable. But these guys have let in 64 goals this season, and it's not just down to Joe Bennett and the guys in midfield not chipping in. 

Edit: What is certain though, games like last night can change his career forever. After that game he knows that at his best he is more than good enough. The same goes for games when we lose 8-0 to Chelsea, but you probably take more out of a solid win than a solid loss where others also are to blame.

Please look at the defence against Chelsea: 

Lichaj-Lowton-Clark-Herd-Baker

We are much better with Vlaar.

Since Vlaar got back from injury 19th Jan vs WBA

3 losses

3 draws

5 wins

Vlaar wasn't in the team for the two losses to Man City and Arsenal. His record before his injury wasn't so good.

BTW Matt Lowton is the only Villa defender with 0 defensive errors on his record - and he has played every game this season. (Please don't get into an argument with me what a defensive error means - it means the same for all players so it is a meaningful statistic).

http://www.squawka.com/players/matthew-lowton

Depends what "very good" means though. I think Guzan is great, Vlaar is good, Baker is solid and Lowton is stable. But these guys have let in 64 goals this season, and it's not just down to Joe Bennett and the guys in midfield not chipping in. I remember Armand Traore being just as good and talked up by his supporters, but he didn't develop the way everyone believed he would even though he looked insanely good at times. Lowton is talented and stable, but does that necessarily mean he will develop every aspect of his game or will he just become a little better than he is now? That's a job for the best scouts to decide, not supporters of the team who obviously want him to be a world-class defender. I think the path from a solid defender to suddenly being good enough for the best is a long way apart, but after a good game against Sunderland that path is suddenly very reachable. I am a fan of Lowton, he looks very interested and serious about his work every game, but I have also seen lots of games this season where he has been positioned badly, where he has been tricked easily and where his head has been down since we have let in a lot of goals. Like I said earlier, it's the complete package and he has a long way to go still. 

Lots of good points in there.

Depends what "very good" means though. I think Guzan is great, Vlaar is good, Baker is solid and Lowton is stable. But these guys have let in 64 goals this season, and it's not just down to Joe Bennett and the guys in midfield not chipping in. I remember Armand Traore being just as good and talked up by his supporters, but he didn't develop the way everyone believed he would even though he looked insanely good at times. Lowton is talented and stable, but does that necessarily mean he will develop every aspect of his game or will he just become a little better than he is now? That's a job for the best scouts to decide, not supporters of the team who obviously want him to be a world-class defender. I think the path from a solid defender to suddenly being good enough for the best is a long way apart, but after a good game against Sunderland that path is suddenly very reachable. I am a fan of Lowton, he looks very interested and serious about his work every game, but I have also seen lots of games this season where he has been positioned badly, where he has been tricked easily and where his head has been down since we have let in a lot of goals. Like I said earlier, it's the complete package and he has a long way to go still. 

Lots of good points in there.

Also some ignoring the fact that we've used more than those 4 players in defence this season. 

As I said, the game against Chelsea: Lichaj-Lowton-Clark-Herd-Baker

Just read in Swedens biggest tabloid "Aftonbladet" about Lowtons first half stats.

In the first half he had: The most number of successful passes (31) , most number of passes on the last 1/3 of the pitch (16), created the most number of scoring chances (4), had the most number of dribbles (4) and the most number of tackles (2). He also assisted to Andy Weimanns  2–1-goal.

He really had the game of his career so far, great display.

The paper had both Lowton and Benteke in their team of the week

Just read in Swedens biggest tabloid "Aftonbladet" about Lowtons first half stats.

In the first half he had: The most number of successful passes (31) , most number of passes on the last 1/3 of the pitch (16), created the most number of scoring chances (4), had the most number of dribbles (4) and the most number of tackles (2). He also assisted to Andy Weimanns  2–1-goal.

Just to underline:

422.jpg

Those are pretty insane numbers for any full back. From here.

The quality of the Swedish papers seems far better than ours, the Mirror gave Lowton a 6 and had Rose level with Benteke on 8........There is no way they could have watched the Sunderland game.

• Like 3

The quality of the Swedish papers seems far better than ours, the Mirror gave Lowton a 6 and had Rose level with Benteke on 8........There is no way they could have watched the Sunderland game.

Too busy making up transfer stories

Just to underline:

422.jpg

Those are pretty insane numbers for any full back. From here.

Notice there is only a key passes number. They don't care about "assists" :D

I think a lot of our defensive issues is down to confidence, regardless of age these players were all playing together for the first time and regulalry in this league for the first time in a team that was largely new to one another with an experimental midfield and strike force - regardless of the fact Gabby is an old head.

When you have that many followers and no leaders - mistakes really hit hard, and no player has been allowed to hide.

In many ways we can all see the ability and potential in Lowton and Bennett, but if we stay up and Dunne leaves or retires then we still need another experienced central defender, plus if Lichaj isn't going to be used then we may as well let him go and get another defender that Lambert rates enough to play.

If we stay up i will literally cry if Lerner doesn't give Lambert the chance to strengthen further, as i don't care how good anyone thinks these group of players is or could be, we will still struggle if we don't strengthen.

That's a **** disgrace. It really is.

Its ridiculous, most people on here thought it was man of the match, lambert said he was the best player on the pitch by a mile. ...Rose played well for about 20 mins....

Lowtons problem this season - much to the annoyance of all the fans around me at the very least - was his inability to move past the half way line in matches. For whatever reason he just wouldn't get forward.

Since the Stoke game, this has changed massively. He now tries to get forward as much as he can, and he is actually one of our better attacking player at the moment. His overall game has improved, and as such he is now gaining plaudits from around the country.

That game (possibly the goal) against Stoke seems to have been a massive confidence boost for the lad.

I think he was helped by getting really good protection for the most part from Sylla and Gabby but just watched and he had an astonishing game. 

Â