General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Again, people are being taken in by Kendrick. "Villa interested in the Sheffield United right back, buy my paper, or hit the website for more details". Oh please. Either way, his paper makes some money. He can come up with any old name, at any time and then tell us the same as the twitterers, "it changed, because Villa have bigger fish to fry". I'll believe it when it hits the official site or when they are running out in the shirt.

He's not going to sell many papers if he gets a reputation for telling bullshit stories though is he? He has credibility at the moment. If he starts to make up stories the club will blackball him.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

am i the only one that thinks we need more quality than what we are beeing linked with? its all well and good to make sure you have enough squad players, but if they are all from the championship were gonna be sheit anyways.

You probably are not but look at Lambert has already achieved with players from lower table sides

There are gems out there in the championship and below available for relative peanuts

am i the only one that thinks we need more quality than what we are beeing linked with? its all well and good to make sure you have enough squad players, but if they are all from the championship were gonna be sheit anyways.

I think it needs a mix. We have failed epically signing Premiership cloggers for the last few years so I'd quite like to see who Lambert can attract through a whole summer and what kind of revolution he brings. What I do know is that nobody has any idea who is on his transfer target list and the speculation is a load of bollocks, much like the manager search was. Looks like Kendrick will get drip fed bits when needed by the club.

Hang on. We've bought two of the better midfielders in Holland, linked to a rising star in France, one of the best young Dutch strikers and who knows who else is being lined up?

However, we need to get the up and coming stars before they've become that. Your money goes further and you make more money too. Its just good sense. I dont care who they play for and in what league as long as they come in and perform. Moyes has been doing this for years.

If we do that kind of business it leaves plenty of money for when you go after those big names too.

A Sheffield UTD right -back you say ? I'm sure there a are those who thought the same for. Naughton & walker not so long ago , remind me which club they came from again ?

There are some talented undiscovered players out there, you just have to have the talent to spot them .

and the reason players cost 2 million is because they usually are untested, young and inexperienced. sure they might have the motivation, but that doesnt necessarily mean they are going to do well, or be able to get the skill level needed for the prem.

I just dont think were in a possition to try lots of new players out, especially without having a solid backbone in our squad...

To me the vibes 'its a fresh start for everyone' - doesn't sound like a man about to ship out a load of players and import a load of replacements.

Been following villa for 40 years - I think in that time have only seen 2 or three close seasons where these muted revolutions seem to happen. Yeah sure there will some some signings - departures - but I am not expecting any players above the £5m mark - and reckon there will be only about 3 new players on show for the opening game of the season.

Net spend £8 £9m - tops.

I dont care who they play for and in what league as long as they come in and perform. Moyes has been doing this for years.

I was just about to mention Everton as an example aswell Mazrim.

Arteta, Jagielka, Baines & Cahill were all bought from lower leagues (or Scotland!), I think so anyway..

I'm all for promosing talent. But we still need a sprinkle of gold dust to replace the likes of Milner, Young, Downing, Barry, Walker

You can't completely replace players of that standard with cheap up and comers.

There needs to be a balance

All those players you just mentioned came from the lower leagues..

Of course they did

But when they left they werent lower league players. They were at the top of their game

Hence, you can't replace all of them with lower league / on the cheap gems. Or you'll be waiting years for them all to reach their full potential

We obviously have to rebuild our squad, not just in terms of personnel but footballing philosophy. At present we have a real mixture of players from the MON, GH and ******'s era. Players who were brought in to play a certain style in accordance with the then managers style. If Lambert is to do well then he has to build his own squad. Now, obviously we do not have unlimited resources so it will be difficult to revolutionise the squad completely. However, Lambert has a record of signing players for little money and doing well with them. To do this, you have to either look at the championship and below or abroad.

Personally, I think we need about 8 or 9 players with a few out this summer. I imagine two of Collins, Dunne, Warnock and Hutton will go this window and the other two next summer. Apart from that I could see one of Makoun or Ireland leaving. What you are left with is a very small squad made up of a lot of players from our academy and two top class players – Given and Bent. Therefore, with a budget of around £30m to £40m plus player sales, it would be very difficult to buy 8 or 9 premiership proven players. We will have to look at players like Howton, Clyne, Al Ahmadi, Brahimi (between £8m to £10 for the four of them). I imagine we will also look to add 1 or 2 ‘bigger’ signings to improve the overall quality of the team, especially the core. Al Ahmadi may prove to be a great signing but I still think we need some experience in the middle of the park, further a top centre back would be great. I think Clark and Baker have great futures but we will need to replace Collins or Dunne, should they leave.

The squad currently:

Given, Guzan, Marshall

Lichaj, Hutton

Dunne, Collins, Baker, Clark

Warnock, Stevens

Albrighton, Holman

Herd, Delph, Makoun, Bannan, Ireland, Petrov, Gardner, Al Ahmadi

N’Zogbia, Carruthers

Bent, Gabby, Weimann, Delfounseo

That squad needs some work! Especially with the expected player departures.

Signing a player is like waiting for a bus it seems. You wait for ages and then all of a sudden you get two come along at once. Still think we are due one out but we may now have one in before, all about timing.

Signing a player is like waiting for a bus it seems. You wait for ages and then all of a sudden you get two come along at once. Still think we are due one out but we may now have one in before, all about timing.

Have you heard something Richard? I am hoping we sign Brahimi and Clyne shortly. That would cap off a great week.

personally, i aggree - i dont think there will be this huge exodus as people expect. cant see us signing a right back until thyeve found a buyer for hutton - similar warnock, collins if its to be believed theyre off.......