General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Someone said Carroll wins everything in the air. Must be a different one to the one i've watched last season and this summer. He was useless in the Euros bar that goal which came off the side of his head by mistake

This wins the "VillaTalk most inaccurate post of the week" Award.

Congratulations

:hooray:

Which bit was wrong ?

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone said Carroll wins everything in the air. Must be a different one to the one i've watched last season and this summer. He was useless in the Euros bar that goal which came off the side of his head by mistake

This wins the "VillaTalk most inaccurate post of the week" Award.

Congratulations

:hooray:

Which bit was wrong ?

Well, he DID win everything in the air.

Did you not watch the Italy game? It was the only time we ever held onto the ball, when it went high to Carroll. Italy didn't even bother to challenge towards the end of the match because he was winning everything.

And that was a fantastic header.

I by no means think Carroll is amazing, or even very good. But the part of your post I've quoted is just plain wrong. Imo of course.

Two rumours, we were linked with Robbie Keane in The Irish Daily Star yesterday as they said he may now be surplus to requirements if they get Lampard?! Fulham were also linked and they basically said that despite a change in management Villa would still be interested, I dont see it myself as I think he's passed it although he was brilliant last year and probably played as big a hand as anyone in keeping us up. The other is Blackpools Matty Phillips from Twitter.

Well, saying he'd score shitloads is based on a prediction rather than the story so far. He's only 23 for ****'s sake.

But claiming he's never been a goalscorer is nonsense. After a very good season in the Championship, he scored 11 in 19 for Newcastle in the premier league before Liverpool decided to spunk 35m on him. Yes they overpaid massively yet there were lots of big clubs after him so they had to. And now he's an England player too.

It hasnt worked out for him at Liverpool but that doesnt mean he's a bad player all of a sudden. Some of the best players have struggled at certain clubs or at certain times in their careers. We're not talking about swapping him for Bent or paying the kind of money Liverpool paid for him. Getting him on loan with some sort of fee in the offing would be great business for us.

He would score lots of goals for us, I stand by that. And Bent would score lots because of him too. As would Gabby.

Having a big striker as an option doesn't make us Bolton all of a sudden and Carroll in his best form offers more than just being an aerial threat.

And for where we are at the moment, Carroll would be a real coup.

Two rumours, we were linked with Robbie Keane in The Irish Daily Star yesterday as they said he may now be surplus to requirements if they get Lampard?! Fulham were also linked and they basically said that despite a change in management Villa would still be interested, I dont see it myself as I think he's passed it although he was brilliant last year and probably played as big a hand as anyone in keeping us up. The other is Blackpools Matty Phillips from Twitter.

Would be a fan of getting Matty Phillips!!!

I get the feeling that Lambert has a very good knowledge of the lower leagues as he would have to cherry pick from those clubs with Norwich to build his team really, and I think we'll sign a few more from the championship or lower all imo obviously.

If we are getting another striker in I'd like someone who can play more as a number 10 besides/behind Bent. A young version of Robbie Keane would be ideal.

BANG ON!

I like Carroll and he's fantastic at what he does, I don't think I've seen many better at the timing and the leaping he has when heading the ball. But it wouldn't be feasible getting him here at the minute due to amount of money Liverpool would want to recoup, he's simply not worth it.

However I'd much prefer a creative forward in the mould of a young Robbie Keane in order for us to get it on the deck and play more rather than play hoofball to Carroll. I'd rather bring in Jones on the cheap and spend more on a creative forward as Jones is capable of winning headers a la Carroll.

Big no thanks to Carroll from me. Would cost too much (if we were talking permanent), and wouldn't deliver what we require IMO. At the Euro's he played well in the first half of the Sweden game, but not much else IMO. Mellberg won his fair share in the air against him.

We will keep Bent and hopefully bring in somebody who can play alongside him, as others have mentioned, perhaps in a Keane type role (or alternatively give Ireland a go playing off him).

As I've said before, there are two things we lack up front. A powerhouse and a magician or #10, whatever you want to call it. Carroll is a powerhouse but if we went for the magician its fine by me. We could do with both. Its all about options. Lambert is all about that anyway.

What we do have is the poacher, the speedster and a few promising youngsters.

Apparently Southamptons attempts to sign some left back from Holland has run into trouble due to a third party entering the race to sign him.

Being as we're being linked with looking for a new left back could it be us? Naturally I'm putting 2 & 2 together and coming up with 5

No, QPR are/were also after him. Would like him here.. he kept van Aanholt on the bench. :)

Kayal and Wanayama from Celtic talked about on twitter would like either of them ase both are mobile and good passers of the ball,

Defence has to be key now. At least a LB and a CB. Does KEA do what Kayal and Wanyama do?

Agreed Defence will be strengthened IMO Possibly Ramis and would love Kjaer but that wouldnt happen :(

Kayal is more attack minded and Wanayama is a midfield destroyer.... could work alongside KEA...