General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Actually, just looking at them and knowing the type of player O'Neill tries to sign I could see them having a right tough season.

Wishful thinking there I suspect. He will get the most out of them but this is not about Monderland and their targets.

For us I would still like to see

In

1 LB

2 CB

1 MF

1 Winger

1 Striker

Out

Warnock

Hutton

Collins

Albrighton

Bannan

Delfouneso

Gabby

Sorry for going Off Topic AGAIN, but I dont know Rich, he'll get the best out of them but I cant see him having the money he had here or buying a Downing, Young, Milner. When you see what's left there's not much to build on. Back on topic, I agree with what you want in, assuming Guzan is a given. With regard selling players, I'd get rid of the entire back 4 from last year, could be very tough with their wages, and this needs to be done as soon as possible because we cant be going into a season with a back four who don't know each other. With regard Albrighton, Bannan, Delfouneso, I dont know how sellable they are? I think Albrighton could have a very good season, he needs to put in a lot of work though. Bannan for me is a luxury player and one we can only afford to bring on when we are up a goal or two and are trying to hang onto the ball. I'd imagine neither of the two of these are on big money and I think if we had to sell them, we'd also have to replace them and could we get better players who are happy to sit on the bench for that kind of money. When I say happy I dont mean Habib Beye happy as in they'll just pick up a cheque. The Fonz really is on his last chance and another one I think could be sold, reports of him going to Sheffield United on loan, dont know if they are true but we should send him down there and see how he gets on. I'd give Gabby one more year also. Think he was summed up nicely as Birminghams answer to Theo Wlacott.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@TransfersCentre: Aston Villa are in advanced talks with Rennes over highly rated midfielder Tongo Doumbia. A fee is close to being agreed. #avfc #UTV

VILLA ITK ‏@VILLAITK

Contrary to what is being said, AVFC are NOT in advanced talks with Rennes over Tongo Doumbia. No fee has been agreed either. Interest yes.

From The Times: "Tongo Doumbia, the Rennes midfielder, is set to a move to the West Midlands, but Gary Jacob, our transfer expert, says it could be West Bromwich Albion or Aston Villa."

According to a few French websites, he is off to West Brom--e.g.: http://www.sport.fr/football/ligue-1-rennes-doumbia-file-west-brom-270890.shtm

Hmmm, yes, because when your options are Arsenal, Villa or the Boggies the natural choice is the Boggies.

Here is the latest speculation concerning us from my 11 year old brothers' MATCH magazine. :D -

WHO YOUR TEAM NEEDS

MATCH takes a look at which players each Premier league club should sign to strengthen their team ahead of the new season.

Aston Villa

What they need

Boss Paul Lambert got Norwich playing great football last year, and he'll be on the lookout for technically gifted players to do the same at Villa. He's a big fan of Kyle Naughton, while Yacine Brahimi is a quality playmaker.

Shopping list

Kyle Naughton £4m (There was a lovely all-action picture of him)

Ashley Williams

Swansea £4m (Who is also linked with Liverpool)

Yacine Brahimi

Rennes, £2.5m

(Not heard Williams being linked with us before but I like him, I think he's a good defender and an intelligent footballer)

There were also players we have been linked with being linked to other clubs.

Luuk de Jong, from FC Twente, linked with Newcastle, if they lose Cisse or Ba, for 12m (I don't think Ba or Cisse will leave Newcastle but I'd feel we'd have to sell a few first before we'd bring someone in for 12m)

Reading were linked with Jermain Defoe for £8m and Joe cole £5m, as players who can unlock tight prem defences. (Wouldn't mind either of those with £2m knocked off both their fees)

Steven Fletcher linked with Stoke for 10m because Pulis loves players who are good in the air. (I think Fletcher is an underrated player and would link well with Bent)

Sunderland were linked with Ryan Bertrand on loan as a 'hungry young star'. As was Adam Johnson for 10m, as a 'brilliant winger to partner another brilliant winger in James McClean'. (£10m may be too much for us and Bertrand may not go on loan from what Di Matteo was saying but I'd still like to hope we were buzzing around both of these)

Daniel Sturridge £10m to Spurs because Villas-Boas is a big fan. (Think he'd go to Spurs rather than us but I still like him, even at that price, I know I know, we should've never let him go from the youth)

Peter Whittingham £4m to West Brom as someone to play killer passes from midfield. (I'm one of the few who wouldn't like to see Whittingham back as I feel he was sold for the good reason of not being quite good enough for top flight football but £4m is a good price for him)

Junior Hoilett £1m to Wigan, to give the team width and pace. (1m is extremely cheap for Hoilett and I'd love to snap him up at that price)

At the end Ciaran Clark is interviewed about transfer talk -

EVERY DEAL IS TOP SECRET!

Being a player is just like being a supporter - you never know who's in for you and who isn't. People hear things and rumours go around but you never know if it's true or not. Until it's done, you can't be sure.

I WATCH THE RUMOURS!

I'm sure every player has a look through the papers - and MATCH - to see who's getting linked with who, and I'm no different. I had my iPad with me on the beach on holiday, just to keep up to date with all the gossip.

TRAINING GROUND BANTER!

There are a few 'busy' lads at Villa who like to banter about the rumours. It happens on the pitch, in the canteen when we're eating lunch or on Blackberry messenger. Transfer talk creates a good buzz within the squad.

THE MAN IN THE KNOW!

It's Nathan Delfouneso who keeps a really close eye on things. He's always seems to know what's been happening and who's being linked, so if you need any infomation he's the the first man any of the lads would ask.

MY BEST SPY WORK!

The earliest I've known that a move was going through was just before N'Zogbia signed for Villa. I saw him at the training ground before it was announced and, when that happens, you can feel confident it's a done deal!

Sky Bet have suspended betting on Junior Hoilett joining QPR after seeing a large number of bets for the former Blackburn man to move to west London. Follow @SkyBet on Twitter for all the latest betting news.

Gutted if thats true.

Would also love Hoilett here but I would not be surprised if QPR were paying him £60k/week plus if they sign him. Hughes is a spender, like MON.

Lambert has said we won't be held to ransom on players wages so would rather we went for someone like Zaha on cheaper wages than pay silly money to someone that will most likely use us as a stepping stone after 1 season.

Would also love Hoilett here but I would not be surprised if QPR were paying him £60k/week plus if they sign him. Hughes is a spender, like MON.

Lambert has said we won't be held to ransom on players wages so would rather we went for someone like Zaha on cheaper wages than pay silly money to someone that will most likely use us as a stepping stone after 1 season.

I'd assume they are. PB, ya but how much is the compensation likely to be? Not much I'd imagine. Hughes is very much a spender as you said. I fancy QPR to be top ten next season & top of the discipline table or is it bottom?