General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Sounds promising in todays Brum Mail:

Aston Villa: Expect more signings - Paul Lambert

“Yes, the phone’s been going mad, all the time,” said Lambert.

“It’s a bit of a pain but I just don’t answer it!

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2012/07/10/aston-villa-expect-more-signings-paul-lambert-97319-31359677/

What's the bet this one gets brought up ad nausaeum when the natives start getting restless when there's been no signings 3 days into a transfer window...

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bazmonkey, I fully believe that what your mates Mrs heard is what she was told. But I just don't believe it's the truth.

I remember Milner being interviewed at the World Cup, and I remember thinking how he wouldn't go anywhere near the subject of committing himself to Villa.

I remember the interview of him in his car outside Bodymoor Heath. He said something like "I'm sad to leave, but this is too good an opportunity".

If he didn't want to go, he wouldn't have. It's as simple as that.

It's a bit different to barca selling messi to stoke, messi would turn up and say I want £400,000 a week and the chairman's wife and stoke would have to pull the plug.

Where as us selling Milner to City who were always going to challenge for top honours and pay on average 2 or 3 times as much as we do, it was hardly going to be a difficult decision to accept.

Sounds promising in todays Brum Mail:

Aston Villa: Expect more signings - Paul Lambert

“Yes, the phone’s been going mad, all the time,” said Lambert.

“It’s a bit of a pain but I just don’t answer it!

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2012/07/10/aston-villa-expect-more-signings-paul-lambert-97319-31359677/

What's the bet this one gets brought up ad nausaeum when the natives start getting restless when there's been no signings 3 days into a transfer window...

That quote reminded me of MON a bit. I am sure I had read somewhere that he never picked up calls from agents.

I don't see it as a bad thing as I would like to think that we are being pro-active in going after the individuals (and speaking to their agents) we want and think will improve us. Rather than waiting for touting agents to offer us players.

Apparently Southamptons attempts to sign some left back from Holland has run into trouble due to a third party entering the race to sign him.

Being as we're being linked with looking for a new left back could it be us? Naturally I'm putting 2 & 2 together and coming up with 5

quite a bit of discussion on Twitter (Yes I know) about us looking into loaning Andy Carroll with a possible view to buying him.... would be a big yes from me tbh!

I don't think we should be doing any deals - buying or selling with Liverpool. If liverpool have paid £35m for a players whose worth £6m - it shouldn't be up to us to get them out of that mess.

...and how long before a certain villa player is linked with a move in the opposite direction ? - if that happened I would loose a lot of faith in Lambo.

quite a bit of discussion on Twitter (Yes I know) about us looking into loaning Andy Carroll with a possible view to buying him.... would be a big yes from me tbh!
Depends upon the fee. I'd also be more than a little disappointed if it meant the end of Bent at Villa, but I would absolutely back the manager in his decisions

I don't think we should be doing any deals - buying or selling with Liverpool. If liverpool have paid £35m for a players whose worth £6m - it shouldn't be up to us to get them out of that mess.

...and how long before a certain villa player is linked with a move in the opposite direction ? - if that happened I would loose a lot of faith in Lambo.

Well to be honest I agree on not bailing Liverpool out, but Carroll is a good player and a loan to buy for around 10m wouldnt be bad business.

On DB9 I don't think Lambert would let him leave unless sill money came around (20-26m)

Ignoring the finances, Carroll would be superb. However, you simply can't ignore the finances with him involved. Granted, we'd only do it if it was workable so ILWT, but I can't see us being willing or able to fund a deal of that size. If we do, then I'll be very excited because it would suggest the purse strings had been even more loosened than I thought they were. In summary, I can't see a purchase happening and I can't see a loan happening when the likes of AC Milan are rumoured to be circling too. This goes very much into the 'believe it when I see it' category.

Well to be honest I agree on not bailing Liverpool out, but Carroll is a good player and a loan to buy for around 10m wouldnt be bad business.

On DB9 I don't think Lambert would let him leave unless sill money came around (20-26m)

To finally get rid of Heskey , to then get Carroll - and get liverpool out of a hole in the process - would be unbearable for me.

Properly utilised and supported, Carroll would score shitloads of goals for us. Alongside Bent.

If he's available on loan with a view to a permanent move we should go all out to make it happen. Liverpool massively overpaid for him but he's worth a lot more than £6m. Also, it could be a case of getting Carroll out of a mess rather than Liverpool.

Makes a little bit of sense, dont see how AC would fit into BR style of play really, he's not the type to play long high balls into his strikers. FWIW I think Carroll and Bent would both get 40 goals a season between them if they were both here, chip in another 8-12 from Gabby and we are looking very nice. The obvious issues are the price, Liverpool would be looking to get a lot of that £35mil back and I don't think Carroll is worth much more than £10mil on current form, and the bulk of the would be potential.

Properly utilised and supported, Carroll would score shitloads of goals for us. Alongside Bent.

If he's available on loan with a view to a permanent move we should go all out to make it happen. Liverpool massively overpaid for him but he's worth a lot more than £6m. Also, it could be a case of getting Carroll out of a mess rather than Liverpool.

Nice theory

But pretty sure Bent would end up banging them in for the scousers - while once again a big lumbering villa centre forward is laughed at.

Really hope this doesn't happen.

Depends upon the fee. I'd also be more than a little disappointed if it meant the end of Bent at Villa, but I would absolutely back the manager in his decisions

With Carroll knocking down headers back to Bent in the 6 yard box you're talking about a mountain of goals.

To be honest us getting Carroll (IF) I don't see how it would get Liverpool out of a hole? they still payed 35million for him and we wouldn't even consider paying that I think it would be around 10-15m if any deal was going to take place and that would most likely be after a years loan.

Also I think he would score lots if we got good service into the box... He's a beast of a bloke who towers above defenders and can either knock the ball down to Bent or can score himself, in theory it would be a good partnership that would get us 30 goals a season from the both of them "if" it worked!

All Ifs and buts

But for me I'd love Carroll down the villa! XD

Carroll with Bent, sure. I'd be on board with that and I think it could work well.

But, like others, it sounds like the more likely scenario would be Carrol in a swap for Bent. Which I would not want.

I fully expect a lot of goals from bent this season, playing in a team that know how to attack again.