General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

It's a gradual process we are under we need to accept that but look elsewhere.Talk is Liverpool won't spend alot ,Man United again have spent little and Man City have to unload players before they can buy.This will be a season of addressing last season's mistakes and making forwards strides ready for the following season.

Have those teams had two years of relegation worry and piss poor investment in the club?

I for one don't think another summer of poor investment is acceptable from Lerner.

Lambert was a great appointment but Lerner has a lot more work to do to win me over again.

I for one believe Lerner will back Lambert, but realistically, we still have a lot of players on big wages who do not deserve the money they are earning, Given, Dunne, Collins, Warnock, N'Zogbia, Ireland, Gabby & even Bent to a degree do not seem value for money when you take into account what they earn a week, relative to certain Premiership counterparts, what was Bale on before his new deal. Say Lerner has given Lambert a budget in terms of both transfers and wages. Lambert needs to gut the team at the minute then restore a foundation from which he can build on from. What is the point in over paying for players right now, the likes of a Reo-Coker or what ever who will do a job when we could take a gamble with a foreign lad or lower league player who could turn into a star at a fraction of the cost.In a years time we will be in a better position to attract players, after (hopefully) a year of relegation free worry.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one don't think another summer of poor investment is acceptable from Lerner.

And if he cannot afford to just spunk money anymore?

I don't think we'll be ever speeding money like we did before, slow steady building using Lamberts experience in that department, it's quite obvious.

Far more rewarding for me than spunking money on 10mill player here and there.

The club have also been using social media and message boards like this a little better to manipulate the fans imo.

People who claim to be told stuff on here, will be told the big exciting things whether they are true or false, to build the positivity.

If people honestly believe they are being told things that are actually true the they need to think again, all part of the game to build positive feeling.

A good start to the season signings or not, people will quickly forget about not spending a fortune.

It doesn't matter who is manager - without investment, proper investment, this club is only going one way.

And not only that, but the falkner will have once more lied to the supporters over the clubs intentions to make a fast buck.

It doesn't matter who is manager - without investment, proper investment, this club is only going one way.

And not only that, but the falkner will have once more lied to the supporters over the clubs intentions to make a fast buck.

Forgive me if I missed a press conference, but what did PF say about the spend this summer for you to say he's lied?

Seems to me some people are looking for petty reasons to have a moan.. Getting itchy fingers lads? Got too used to being negative that being positive is an alien concept? Just accept that we are turning things around and Lambert doesn't need to spend £100 million to do that. Though I get the feeling that even if he got us top 4 having bought 7 players for under £20 million he'd still be criticised by some for over achieving, it would be heralded as a fluke more than likely. You can't please some on this site I should have learned that by now.

If we don't have the money - we don't have it - not that much can be done. There are really only a few clubs that have money these days.

If you don't have the money the next best thing you do - is get the best manager you possibly can. I believe, in lambert we have done that.

I think Lambert can 'do a Moyes' - ie build a solid team that is greater than the sum of its parts. If you are waiting for even 1 £10m+ player - I fear for now you will be disappointed. That squad is woefully short on experience - and Lambert will need to address that in all areas. Hopefully a combo of experience - but perhaps not that inspiring players - coupled with *some* of youth players sparkling - can steady the ship and get us top half.

My own forecast was that the net spend would be around £9-10m - with between £5-6m already gone - it maybe that Lambo has to get some out - before he can bring many more in. And that isn't easy - there won't be a queue of clubs waiting to pay top dollar for our dross. I wouldn't be surised if one our bigger names Nzog, Ireland, Gabby - is sacrificed so that lambert can add numbers to our squad.

Im still optimistic that Lambo can significantly improve on the last 2 seasons.

12 days into the transfer window and 2 signings, if Mon was still in charge our first signing would be a month away, why is everyone so miserable all the time?

Not everyone, just a few sadsacks nobody gives a toss about anyway.

Don't forget as well the financial fair play rules are allegedly due to come into force soon and we made huge losses last year so what would even be the point in spending money we don't really have if you can't even enjoy the benefits?

12 days into the transfer window and 2 signings, if Mon was still in charge our first signing would be a month away, why is everyone so miserable all the time?

Not everyone, just a few sadsacks nobody gives a toss about anyway.

Fair point.

The issue is not having money its having money that you can afford to waste....not many clubs can do that.....and we have largely done it.

For those clubs that trade at the top Chelsea, Man city, Liverpool ,Man Utd etc .... the odds are lowered against that they will buy a " pig in a poke" sometimes,but rareley, usually the money kinda dictates a bit of quality.

The other clubs lower down the league Trade more prudently and find a few gems, their money is more at risk but spend less of it.

The danger area is us in the middle.... because our 10 mills a pop are usually for players worth half of that and less and that is where the problem lies.

for the best part, our problem over recent years( with the odd exception) we have bought badly...its only the milner,downing, young money coming back in that has avoided a disaster.

I am hoping the we trade for the moment similar to the more prudent clubs and start buliding our reputation back to being confident of the slightly more expensive buys being the value we are expecting.

O'Neill paid lip service to not being "held to ransom", but when push came to shove, he showered shit players with gobs of Lerner's money. Lambert's come out and told potential signees to "not be greedy", and I don't think he'll contradict that position...and I say fine by me. This should be a slow build, done with measured moves and patience.

Lambert seems to have the disposition to see the club progress for the long haul, unlike O'Neill, who wanted instant glory. If the club can identify quality players who are willing to accept a lesser wage, at least for a while, I think we're off and running.

I'm not miserable, I'm more excited about villa now than I have been in two years. I can't wait for the season to start and to see what life under Lambert will be like.

I'm not saying it will happen but if it does I do strongly believe that little investment this year is unacceptable. We earn more money than the majority of teams. We've been told our kit deal and sponsorship deal are good. The premier league payouts have increased and I would assume season ticket sales have also increased since the appointment of lambert.

We've had two years of piss poor investment combined with terrible managerial appointments. We've had two seasons of worrying about relegation and the clubs reputation has taken a big hit. I'm not expecting a spending spree of £60 million or more but I do believe this is the summer that Randy needs to start properly investing again.

It's amazing what some people will accept just because it's not Doug making the decisions. I guess this point of view makes me a sadsack that nobody gives a toss about. :cry: