General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Wow, it really doesn't take long for the negativity to resurface. One tweet from Nursey & many are beginning to question the funds available.

Lambert obviously knows there is a lot of rebuilding to be done. Movement both ways. For all we know, it means that we're not going to be spending big on individual players; which is a wise move in my opinion. We don't need to spend big, we need to spend very wisely.

The squad needs freshening up in a number of positions, so spending big on individuals wouldn't be prudent moving forward.

I still think we will sign one marquee player personally, & I am hoping it is a striker to play up top with Benty. Would be great to have a partnership of two strikers who are both capable of getting 15 plus goals a season. That would be ideal.

It's nothing to do with tweets on twitter, I can make my own mind up about things, and it's my opinion that our signings so far are not impressive. However I will give them a chance. That's why I've renewed my season ticket yet again.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough. It was not directed at you specifically. It was a general observation on some of the views I have seen over the last few pages.

There is plenty to be positive about this pre-season. I'm sure we are going to see plenty more faces coming in & of decent quality to improve our squad moving forward. UTV

Wow, it really doesn't take long for the negativity to resurface. One tweet from Nursey & many are beginning to question the funds available.

Lambert obviously knows there is a lot of rebuilding to be done. Movement both ways. For all we know, it means that we're not going to be spending big on individual players; which is a wise move in my opinion. We don't need to spend big, we need to spend very wisely.

The squad needs freshening up in a number of positions, so spending big on individuals wouldn't be prudent moving forward.

I still think we will sign one marquee player personally, & I am hoping it is a striker to play up top with Benty. Would be great to have a partnership of two strikers who are both capable of getting 15 plus goals a season. That would be ideal.

It's nothing to do with tweets on twitter, I can make my own mind up about things, and it's my opinion that our signings so far are not impressive. However I will give them a chance. That's why I've renewed my season ticket yet again.

Are you not impressed because you hadn't heard of them before? or are you a professional world scout and in your opinnion they aren't good enough?

I really don't think Lerner gives managers a budget anymore though that isn't to say Lambert has nothing to spend the budget is whatever he needs within reason. If Lambert needs to buy 7 players and can justify why he need them then regardless of if it'll cost £20 million or £100 million the money will be there. I think the era of big clubs having a "war chest" a finite set budget are gone and it's on a player by player basis provided the manager can sell the dream to the guy with the chequebook.

I don't care how much we do or don't spend personally, spending big doesn't guarantee shit, getting the best out of what you have does and I believe Lambert will do that.

Consider as well all the 'kids' (loosely used given that most of them are 21+ now) who broke through last season will be a year older and about ten years wiser following their opportunities last year.

Injuries permitting I'm expecting big things from Clark, Wiemann and Carruthers this year.

I guess realistically its all about getting us stable upper mid table over the next two years before Lerner perhaps considers another assault on the top 4/5

In that sense, signings can only be commensurate with that

Are you not impressed because you hadn't heard of them before? or are you a professional world scout and in your opinnion they aren't good enough?

The latter. I am the world's foremost expert on scouting.

The latter. I am the world's foremost expert on scouting.

Gutted. Cheers for the info.

I thought they looked good players.

I don't care how much we do or don't spend personally, spending big doesn't guarantee shit, getting the best out of what you have does and I believe Lambert will do that.

Consider as well all the 'kids' (loosely used given that most of them are 21+ now) who broke through last season will be a year older and about ten years wiser following their opportunities last year.

Injuries permitting I'm expecting big things from Clark, Wiemann and Carruthers this year.

The so called 'kids" really aren't all that though are they. Pretty average/poor in my opinion. We've been guilty of overrating our young players in recent years.

I guess realistically its all about getting us stable upper mid table over the next two years before Lerner perhaps considers another assault on the top 4/5

In that sense, signings can only be commensurate with that

Where is CI and what have you done with him?

The so called 'kids" really aren't all that though are they. Pretty average/poor in my opinion. We've been guilty of overrating our young players in recent years.

From what I've seen of the three mentioned I believe there is real potential in each.

Clark just needs more confidence and an injury free run, Weimann will only get better and I really thought he looked pretty good back end of last season and Carruthers admittedly I've seen a lot less of but what I have seen inspires me to believe he could be a real exciting prospect - though I'd expect him to be introduced more sporadically than the aforementioned two.

"slightly under radar signings"

Aka - who the **** is he ?

So what would you prefer, Lambert to unearth a gem or three like Newcastle or piss the money away on overrated British players like MON did on many occasions?

The transfer window has been open for two weeks give it a chance there is 6 weeks left yet,chill out folks things will happen in due course.

Hang on though, this VT so utter doom and gloom is a given.

It's a gradual process we are under we need to accept that but look elsewhere.Talk is Liverpool won't spend alot ,Man United again have spent little and Man City have to unload players before they can buy.This will be a season of addressing last season's mistakes and making forwards strides ready for the following season.

Also we have players like Warnock who we want to dispose of yet will bring in very little money this is going to hinder us somewhat.Things are looking up I feel some encouraging words from KEA about what's going on in training and PL has said he want's more player's and there is no way he would have left Norwich if he wasn't offered a decent amount of money to spend.So I think it's far to early to be negative.

It's a gradual process we are under we need to accept that but look elsewhere.Talk is Liverpool won't spend alot ,Man United again have spent little and Man City have to unload players before they can buy.This will be a season of addressing last season's mistakes and making forwards strides ready for the following season.

Have those teams had two years of relegation worry and piss poor investment in the club?

I for one don't think another summer of poor investment is acceptable from Lerner.

Lambert was a great appointment but Lerner has a lot more work to do to win me over again.

Agree with BJ10, as at the moment our squad is still way short of what is needed to be absolutely sure of Premiership safety next season, but there is still plenty of time to address that.