Brett Holman

ozvillafan

I was a serious doubter of this guy and thought we'd bought a nail but IMHO he was the difference today, I really mean that.

The big problem last week was a complete lack of energy, urgency and closing down, we flattered EVerton big time. But today Holman was all over the place, breaking up play and pulling defenders all over the place, he must have covered more ground than Bannan and Ireland combined. Agreed he was at fault for the goal and his passing is a bit poor but his contribution for the team today was vital. I could be wrong but I think PL will have loved that display and he's gone someway to cementing his place in the team.

You lot are mental :) He was a stand out performer for me.

Still doesn't change fact, that he let ben arfa shoot, gave him too much room.

He should have been closer, but I think you're being a little harsh, 9/10 that's not a goal. It was a great shot. I thought he was good with the ball too.

Funny how we all see it differently. He was vital today - no doubt - especially as KEA and Bannan are so porous at the back, but he really is dreadful on the ball. He makes 5 yard passes look difficult. He'll be a useful squad player for us but I'd rather we tightened up the midfield and played someone with a bit more ability going forward.

That said, he's much preferable to N'Zogbia.

Holman is famous in Australia for being a real 'trier' - as in, not the most gifted, but a hard worker and a real team player. Most similar to Stephen Ireland in our squad I reckon. Ideal in any of the '3' in a 4-2-3-1 or as the '1' in a 4-3-1-2.

I think we saw all of that today, and there will be plenty more performances like this. He'll never give up, he'll track back, he'll make the runs forward, he'll link up and try passes with some success and some failure. I think there is a role for him in the side this season - absolutely - and going forward as a good member of the squad that can light up a game.

In short, he'll always give 100% but the output will vary.

That was the Brett Holman I've witnessed for a decade. The epitome of what he has to offer on full display on Tyneside. Relentless work ethic; master of the turnover.

Manager's adore having at least one tireless midfielder, and I'm thinking of Alex Ferguson repeatedly picking Park Ji Sung (when in his pomp) for Man United's biggest matches. His fundamental technique is not as good as Park's, which is no disgrace, but certainly a player in the same mould. For this reason it wouldn't surprise me if Holman plays, or at least starts, more matches away than at home.

I give him partial credit on Newcastle's goal because he apparently had the scouting report in mind when he so blatantly gave the (naturally) left-footed Ben Arfa passage to the right, only to be shocked by his shooting quality and ambidexterity. Safe to say that there aren't many among the Eredivisie players he's accustomed to facing possessed of such ability, so he's hopefully learned the lesson so willingly, and rightfully, relayed by his teammates in the goal's aftermath.

Holman is famous in Australia for being a real 'trier' - as in, not the most gifted, but a hard worker and a real team player. Most similar to Stephen Ireland in our squad I reckon.

Not at all. In fact it makes him the antithesis of Stephen Ireland (on the evidence until and including parts of last season). It might make for the decent, complimentary central midfield combination somewhat apparent yesterday.

He infuriates me, bless him.

If his touch and passing were half as strong as his workrate, he'd be a world beater. I honestly think his feet are 2 steps ahead of his brain.

THIS!

That said, as I mentioned in the match thread, he set up Ireland for clear shots on goal twice and Bent at least once. Further down the pitch he can be a liability but close into the box I think he will set up a fair few.

One thing I've never really noticed about him though is that he's a gobby little ****. We need a few of those I reckon.

Whats this he stood off Ben Arfa, if we're being honest as a player you know players strengths, I bet even NUFC didn't think he could do that with his right foot as he's predominently left foot, show him to his right, and to be fair it was a fantastic goal, sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say it was unstoppable. Maybe he could have got tighter, but 9 times out of 10, I'd have let Ben Arfa shoot with his right.

Whats this he stood off Ben Arfa, if we're being honest as a player you know players strengths, I bet even NUFC didn't think he could do that with his right foot as he's predominently left foot, show him to his right, and to be fair it was a fantastic goal, sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say it was unstoppable. Maybe he could have got tighter, but 9 times out of 10, I'd have let Ben Arfa shoot with his right.

A player of Ben Arfa's quality and confidence will always look to have a pop from the edge of the box regardless of what foot they are shooting with!

Holman invited him to shoot and he did; the rest as they say....

I think Lambert will drop him for that; Given was dropped for making a mistake and admire PL's ruthlessness.

I thought he played well yesterday - as others have said his brain is world class and his ability isn't quite on same level.

But I think he'll do fine for us - plays some great first time passes and generally adds some zip into our attacking play. Add that to his fantastic work rate and I think we have an asset.

The difference between Herd and N'Zogbia vs Everton and Holman and Ireland vs Newcastle was there for all to see.

Without a doubt he was at fault for the goal looked heavy legged at that point and had to get much much closer.

He learnt a lesson there about the quality of the Premier League - don't think that would have happened to him to many times in Holland.

I agree, it's a legitimate criticism, but rather harsh in the whole. It was a performance at least on par with anything last years player of the season has ever produced for us. I wouldn't have him as a winger or a creative player, but that all action role suited him and he played it brilliantly.

A player of Ben Arfa's quality and confidence will always look to have a pop from the edge of the box regardless of what foot they are shooting with!

Holman invited him to shoot and he did; the rest as they say....

I think Lambert will drop him for that; Given was dropped for making a mistake and admire PL's ruthlessness.

Like I said 9/10 that would have been in row Z! Maybe he should have got closer and if you think he'll be dropped absolutely no chance.

Â