No Longer Interested: (Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - Molde FK)

VillaGoMarching

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I take it that tomorrow at 5pm some of you might tune in to some streaming (despicable, I know - we need to report it to the proper authorities straight away) of Molde's away game at Sandnes Ulf. Let me try to give you a prediction of what we'll be watching:

Crappy stadium - Sandnes Ulf is one of the clubs which has never been in the top flight before, and was more or less unprepared for top flight football.

Semi-crappy pitch - Not too sure about this one. The club is based just outside of Stavanger, with a relatively mild climate, but some of the pitches in the Norwegian Premier League are just abysmal, and this might be one of those.

Game pattern - A bit difficult to predict. Molde's home form has been sensational result wise - undefeated for more than a year, which to my recollection has never happened before - but the away form has been patchy, to say the least (3 straight defeats before a 5-0 thrashing of the bottom club last saturday). Nevertheless, expect Molde to dominate possesion, which has become a trademark for Ole's side. Don't listen to those who call Molde a pure counterattacking side - yes, they have the ability to do that, but the emphasis is still on controlling the pace of the game through possession.

At home, Molde are a "probing" side. Pass, pass, pass, short passes inside the area, waiting for the best opportunity. Away from home, Molde tend to be more direct, but still with a clear intention of making the opponents chase the ball.

Stamina - In Ole's first year, Molde had a pattern of being sensational in the first half, and lethargic in the second half. This improved towards the end of the season, but the team has yet to produce more than 65-70 minutes of good football. Somehow, it seems that the players run out of steam in the final 20 minutes, and games which have been completely one-sided for 70 minutes tend to become a bit frantic towards the end.

Players to watch - 7: Magnus Wolff Eikrem, the engine and creative force. Loves playing small triangles and such, creating space for himself or others, but can ping 60-yard crossfield balls when he's on song. Might wear a Villa top come August. A bit lightweight, but nothing that a few daily pints of Guinness won't cure. Extremely dedicated when it comes to training and improving himself.

The centre-half pairing of Vegard Forren (5) and Even Hovland (4). Early 20s-guys. Make the odd mistake, are half asleep at times, yet have the potential to become excellent. On a good day, you might see Forren being half-dead after an aeriel duel, before picking up the ball, dummying past 4-5 players and pinging a 50-yarder to a teammate.

20: Striker Davy Claude Angan - Ivory Coast. Strong as a bull, faboulous close control - but has very little awareness of runs being made around him. Had a habit of hitting row Z last year, but has 7 goals in 9 games this year.

9: Mattias Moström, useless Swede. We've had some fabulous swedes over the years, but Mattias is not one of them. Every team has a player that could produce a moment of brilliance, but rarely does. Our own Karel Poborsky or Ibrahim Ba. Decide for yourselves which useless player of the current Villa squad Ole would have in his starting eleven.

14: Martin Linnes - the find of the year. A right back, picked up from the second tier of Norwegian football, good close control, eager to join the attack. Should become an international player within a few years.

Here's hoping for a good ending to Ole's career at Molde.

Alright, I take it that tomorrow at 5pm some of you might tune in to some streaming (despicable, I know - we need to report it to the proper authorities straight away) of Molde's away game at Sandnes Ulf. Let me try to give you a prediction of what we'll be watching:

Crappy stadium - Sandnes Ulf is one of the clubs which has never been in the top flight before, and was more or less unprepared for top flight football.

Semi-crappy pitch - Not too sure about this one. The club is based just outside of Stavanger, with a relatively mild climate, but some of the pitches in the Norwegian Premier League are just abysmal, and this might be one of those.

Game pattern - A bit difficult to predict. Molde's home form has been sensational result wise - undefeated for more than a year, which to my recollection has never happened before - but the away form has been patchy, to say the least (3 straight defeats before a 5-0 thrashing of the bottom club last saturday). Nevertheless, expect Molde to dominate possesion, which has become a trademark for Ole's side. Don't listen to those who call Molde a pure counterattacking side - yes, they have the ability to do that, but the emphasis is still on controlling the pace of the game through possession.

At home, Molde are a "probing" side. Pass, pass, pass, short passes inside the area, waiting for the best opportunity. Away from home, Molde tend to be more direct, but still with a clear intention of making the opponents chase the ball.

Stamina - In Ole's first year, Molde had a pattern of being sensational in the first half, and lethargic in the second half. This improved towards the end of the season, but the team has yet to produce more than 65-70 minutes of good football. Somehow, it seems that the players run out of steam in the final 20 minutes, and games which have been completely one-sided for 70 minutes tend to become a bit frantic towards the end.

Players to watch - 7: Magnus Wolff Eikrem, the engine and creative force. Loves playing small triangles and such, creating space for himself or others, but can ping 60-yard crossfield balls when he's on song. Might wear a Villa top come August. A bit lightweight, but nothing that a few daily pints of Guinness won't cure. Extremely dedicated when it comes to training and improving himself.

The centre-half pairing of Vegard Forren (5) and Even Hovland (4). Early 20s-guys. Make the odd mistake, are half asleep at times, yet have the potential to become excellent. On a good day, you might see Forren being half-dead after an aeriel duel, before picking up the ball, dummying past 4-5 players and pinging a 50-yarder to a teammate.

20: Striker Davy Claude Angan - Ivory Coast. Strong as a bull, faboulous close control - but has very little awareness of runs being made around him. Had a habit of hitting row Z last year, but has 7 goals in 9 games this year.

9: Mattias Moström, useless Swede. We've had some fabulous swedes over the years, but Mattias is not one of them. Every team has a player that could produce a moment of brilliance, but rarely does. Our own Karel Poborsky or Ibrahim Ba. Decide for yourselves which useless player of the current Villa squad Ole would have in his starting eleven.

14: Martin Linnes - the find of the year. A right back, picked up from the second tier of Norwegian football, good close control, eager to join the attack. Should become an international player within a few years.

Here's hoping for a good ending to Ole's career at Molde.

Respect for the insight even if i have had a few tonight!! Whatever happens i hope Molde do well from now on. Think a fair few Villa fans will adopt them as our Norwegian team!!!

Or - it might be that some sort of informal deal is already agreed upon, and what we have witnessed the last days are nothing more than the reactions to Ole informing Molde & co about it. Hence Røkke's rage-fueled overreaction and Molde's increasingly clumsy attempts to put the blame on the manager, preparing the club and popular opinion for a life without OGS.

and people say our board are bad :shock:

Or - it might be that some sort of informal deal is already agreed upon, and what we have witnessed the last days are nothing more than the reactions to Ole informing Molde & co about it. Hence Røkke's rage-fueled overreaction and Molde's increasingly clumsy attempts to put the blame on the manager, preparing the club and popular opinion for a life without OGS.

Apparently, there is more to it than that. Spoke to a local journo a few hours ago, and the last "revelation" of Ole's comments before his flight was more or less dictated by the Aker company, not by the CEO who has taken the blame these last few hours. Basically, this is a battle between Ole and Røkke, and the board members are essentially puppets in a power struggle.

Solskjaer seems like an incredibly likeable person. I would actually feel sorry for him if he didn't get the Villa job. Say we hired Lambert, Solskjaer would then be left in a horrible situation at Molde. With all that's gone on, surely his role as manager is over soon anyway as it would probably be impossible for him to carry on at Molde with those idiots calling the shots.

I know Lerner has business in America to take care of but I doubt that he would already be back over there if we didn't have a new manager in place. He's done the face to face interview, the rest is just phonecalls and paperwork that he doesn't really need to be here for.

Sandnes Ulf is one of the clubs which has never been in the top flight before, and was more or less unprepared for top flight football.

maybe but they have that guy who was a beast in FM last year, think his name was Okoli ;)

top 4 quality star players...
Yet we only ever finished as high as sixth? You've kind of undone your own argument there.

I think you are forgetting a win in 82, and even if we are just talking about the PL, then we have been as high as second!

What are you talking about? I was clearly talking about us only ever finishing as high as 6th under MON.

In that case - my bad.

Thanks, I think there are quite a few of us here not quite sober at the moment. We have had our world turned upside-down these last few days. No one wants Ole to leave, yet we understand, and are quite proud that such a big club as Aston Villa has turned its attention toward our manager. There are plenty of fans here in Molde who still remember Rimmer, Withe, Cowans, etc, and everybody knows the great tradition of your club. We had hoped that Ole would stay a year or two longer, but recognize that these opportunities need to be grasped when they arise. I think that a lot of Molde fans, regardless of what their favorite English team is, will now have Villa as a "second club", if this deal goes through. I just hope that Villa fans will spare a thought for the supporters of a small Norwegian club which has been thrown into a turmoil where the future looks very bleak indeed. We'll be forever grateful for the month-long championship celebration last year, but we have no idea where we will be in a year or two from now on.

If OGS ends up joining the Villa then I have no doubt that Randy will do the right thing compensation wise. I wonder if there is something extra he could do - some sort of partnership agreement, or failing that perhaps an annual pre-season friendly at VP with gate receipts to Molde - or is that a bit patronising?

Just reading tweets and rumours are it has been on the advice of Klinsmann for Randy to go for OSG

since it was decided that McLeish was going.

Lambert & Martinez have both spoken to the club apparently, but both may also wish to speak to Plop.

Only rumours on twitter...I have no ITK apart from was told the huge rumour at last game of season was

that Lambert was very much on Randy's radar.

Don't underestimate Lerner's reputation for being a top class employer, who runs a well respected club.

It get's round!

Han nektet meg aldri å reise, men han sa at det kunne få konsekvenser hvis jeg dro.

This last line from the latest interview with OGS says it all.

Translates to

He never refused me to go, but he said there could be consequences if I did.

So OGS went to Birmingham fully aware that he might be in trouble for doing so. My take is that he is VERY interested in the job.

I cannot understand why people are reading too much into this?

OGS was one of a shortlist of managers we wanted to speak to

We flew him across for an informal interview

TT gets wind and all hell breaks loose

The VT community believe he is the man and get all carried away

Molde get all bent out of shape and OGS is caught in the middle of a media frenzy

The most important aspect though is that RL carries on the interview process with his original shortlist and no decision is made yet.

All that has happened is that the outpouring of euphoria on here towards someone who has a good You Tube video has made that selection process more difficult to some degree. If the person appointed is not OGS, then they may feel second best and leave a likeable OGS in a really poor position with his current club. I am happy at the type of person Randy is looking at even though I am not totally sold on OGS. I would though back him!!!

It also amazes me that we readily discount players based on over optimistic You Tube videos but get carried away based on a managerial one?

Molde get all bent out of shape and OGS is caught in the middle of a media frenzy

The most important aspect though is that RL carries on the interview process with his original shortlist and no decision is made yet.

All that has happened is that the outpouring of euphoria on here towards someone who has a good You Tube video has made that selection process more difficult to some degree. If the person appointed is not OGS, then they may feel second best. I am happy at the type of person Randy is looking at although not totally sold on OGS.

It also amazes me that we readily discount players based on over optimistic You Tube videos but get carried away based on a managerial one?

Mate, there is a big difference between a 5 minutes montage video put together by a fan and a 40 minute, professional documentary.

Yes, I agree that most, including myself, are partly basing their excitement on the video, but that's because he comes across really well in it.

I agree with continuing the interview process, however, for me, if the other 2 candidates are Lambert, and say Poyet, then I would much prefer taking a risk with OGS and get it done now.

All that has happened is that the outpouring of euphoria on here towards someone who has a good You Tube video has made that selection process more difficult to some degree. If the person appointed is not OGS, then they may feel second best. I am happy at the type of person Randy is looking at although not totally sold on OGS.

Sure there is euphoria, however that doesn't take away the facts that if you read between the lines this deal is pretty much done.

The only question in my mind is whether it will be done Monday morning, or once the Norwegian league enters their month break...

Sure there is euphoria, however that doesn't take away the facts that if you read between the lines this deal is pretty much done.

The only question in my mind is whether it will be done Monday morning, or once the Norwegian league enters their month break...

I disagree 100%.

This was meant to be an interview on the QT but TT broke the story sparking media attention.

OGS is one of three candidates if you believe reports, therefore it stands to reason that those other two will be spoken to as well.

I think we are reading too much into the fact Randy has gone home for the weekend. He has a jet and the ability to do that! Nothing to say he will not be back this evening or tomorrow ready for further discussions with other potential candidates.

OGS comments are a "come and get me" statement, that doesn't mean that we necessarily will!

I am not against OGS, but I do think the objectivity of some is being clouded by the desire to get him in.

what a 24 hours, happiness that we may be getting OGS, texts off mates saying that its not happening now, and now, it may be happening again. So no work done again next week and constant F5 on VT.